Author Topic: KD's The New Curry Secret - Review  (Read 6629 times)

Offline SnS

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
KD's The New Curry Secret - Review
« on: March 27, 2009, 02:05 PM »
Okay Guys I have now got my copy of KD's new book 'The New Curry Secret'.

At first glance the book is 1000% better than both it's predecessors. Well laid out and plenty of colour photos (about half the recipes have photos of the finished article).

There is some useful information in the first part of the book relating to history of curry(standard stuff), KD's history, seasonal produce and commonly used ingredients with English translations, a section on spices and another on weights and measures. Section 7 (page 32) is dedicated to the New Curry Sauce (2 pages). Section 8 (2 pages) is for entrees and light lunches.

Then the recipes (pages 36 to 186), most of which I 've never heard of. If you're interested in traditional BIR cooking this book may disappoint.

Using the list of favourite BIR curry dishes from this forum there are only a few covered in this book. Ones marked in Red appear as recipes in the new book ... the remaining curries are not mentioned.

Vindaloo (Beef)
Madras
Bhuna
Dopiaza
Pathia
Rogan Josh (Lamb)
Phall
Korma
Dhansak
Jalfrezi
Ceylon
Biryani (5 recipes)
Balti (4 recipes)

That's not to say that the recipes in the book aren't worth trying - but perhaps the book should be titled 'Modern Restaurant Curry Secrets'.

Recipes include:-

Chicken Methiwalla
Massaman Curry (Thai)
Beef Badami
Salmon Kalia
Prawn Malabar (Keralean)
Shabnam Curry
Karahi Keema
Mangalorean Style Pork Bafath
Pork and sprouts (yes - Brussels!)
Perhaps I'm just visiting the wrong restaurants  ???
Anyway book is worth the price tag of 7.99 (5.99 at Amazon), but it is definitely not traditional BIR cooking that most of us are interested in.  ;)

Regards
SnS

Offline Curry King

• I've Had Way Too Much Curry
    • View Profile
Re: KD's The New Curry Secret - Review
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2009, 07:02 PM »
I would be intrested in the Kalia recipe as that is one I have had at a BIR, seems to be different everywhere you go though.

Offline JerryM

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2009, 09:13 AM »

Perhaps I'm just visiting the wrong restaurants  ???

i don't think so.

ps much appreciate the report as it settles the issue for me - what no madras.

Offline CurryOnRegardless

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2009, 10:37 AM »
I'd pretty much echo everything SnS has said but add that there is a veggie section (pp 133-142) with a few interesting looking dishes. I started doing the Cauliflower Keema last night to go with a chicken madras but it was so nice I thought sod the madras and just scoffed all the keema! Very nice indeed, next up I'm going to try the fried paneer, can't really see the new base being all that wonderful though there just doesn't seem to be near enough oil to make it work as she says.
CoR

Offline Frying Tonight

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2009, 03:48 PM »

I've not seen the new book, but the 2001 edition did have recipes for Bhuna, Dopiaza, Dhansak, and Korma. Madras is given as a variation to the Chicken Curry recipe, by simply adding more chilli powder.     

It seems the new book is meant to supplement the first book.  A good marketing strategy.   ;)

Offline The Kris Dhillon

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2009, 07:00 AM »
Hi everyone,

Re: The New Curry Secret

Apologies for the tardy response.  I have read your comments and hear what you say.  I don?t really now where to start, but perhaps I can start by saying that I don?t believe I would be giving my readers value for money by simply re-hashing the recipes I put in The Curry Secret 20 years ago.  I know they are still firm favourites but everyone already has them and how many different ways can you cook a Chicken Tikka Masala or a Bhuna and still make it interesting enough to write about it and expect people to pay for it? 

I think the suggestion that the new book might have had ?Modern Indian? in the name is probably right on the mark.  I spent some considerable time looking at Indian restaurant menus from London to Scotland but also in other cities around the world and many of the new recipes are indeed served in these restaurants.   In the new book I?ve aimed to provide the know-how to cook dishes that are enjoyed in Indian restaurants in many parts of the world and not just in Britain.  Many others are my own creations or dishes based on traditional recipes, but prepared using restaurant cooking styles and techniques adapted to cooking easily at home. 

Does a dish have to be served in an Indian restaurant to qualify as an ?Indian restaurant curry?? I think not.  It simply has to be prepared using restaurant methods and have that ?restaurant? curry taste and texture.  And whilst you may not see some of the dishes in The New Curry Secret on your local restaurant menu, they are in the restaurant style and more importantly they are absolutely delicious.   So rather than taking something away by not repeating the usual, well known, tried and tested BIR dishes, I aimed to add something that was not there before and give readers the ability to create different restaurant style dishes in their own kitchens. 

I?ve changed the method of cooking the base sauce in response to e-mails from hundreds of readers that the original recipe ?smelled the house out?.  Having done so, I think this way produces a nicer result and I have had some feed back that others agree but you need to try it and see if you feel the same.  It?s all about options and this is another one for the base sauce.

At the risk of stating the obvious, you can?t be all things to all people.  A recipe that one person loves and raves about another finds ordinary and dull.  But if that recipe gives the latter the impetus and inspiration to create something they were not able to create before, then it is still a success.  That?s what The Curry Secret did 20 years ago and in different ways I hope The New Curry Secret will do the same.  Whether you add more of this and less of that is a matter of personal taste.

Finally, I?ve said it in the book but I?ll say it again any how ? you can?t create a silk purse out of a sow?s ear.  No amount of sugar and spice will disguise poor tasting ingredients.  If you use fresh, organic or locally grown produce and good quality meats and oils you will cook wonderful food, whether it?s on the restaurant menu or not.

Happy cooking,

Kris Dhillon

Offline CurryOnRegardless

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2009, 08:48 AM »
Hi Kris and thank you for the interest in our forum.

I agree that the book reflects the current trends in contemporary BIR cuisine but many here are attempting to recreate the curries of yesteryear which we feel were perhaps simpler but definitely better than the fare dished up today, I personally think they managed to throw the baby out along with the flock wallpaper! That said I don't think we are closed minded at all and welcome any insight into Indian cookery, traditional, contemporary or whatever.
Regarding the base, my comments above were made before I had tried it. Since then I've made it 3 times now and find it works very well but I still don't think you can fry 1kg of onion in just 3 tbs of oil, not sure how much oil I use I just cover the bottom of the pan to about 1/8th inch and find that works well.
Couldn't agree more about the benefit of using top quality ingredients, that's one of the main reasons I got into cooking my own curries at least I know what's in them, not long ago I went to a new purpose built venue, flash interior design and adventurous menu and had the worst meal I've ever had (fish curry and bhindi bhaji both made with frozen ingredients and they had the nerve to charge me nearly ?30).
Back to the book, very nicely presented, excellent photos, really good base and some nice veggie recipes (that cauli keema is really nice, thank you) well worth the price of a take away which is what it cost me, I'd happily recommended it to anyone.

Regards
CoR

Offline JerryM

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2009, 04:45 PM »
i too (and sure we all) would very much appreciate more input from Kris as i think deep down we would all like to buy the latest book.

i'd be really interested in why/how the recipes are going to be the real thing in terms of taste. the book 1 recipes did not deliver and that rest's heavily on my wallet.

Offline The Kris Dhillon

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2009, 01:29 AM »
i too (and sure we all) would very much appreciate more input from Kris as i think deep down we would all like to buy the latest book.

i'd be really interested in why/how the recipes are going to be the real thing in terms of taste. the book 1 recipes did not deliver and that rest's heavily on my wallet.

Hi Jerry,

I would be happy to provide more input, curry cooking is a subject close to my heart. I can talk about it all day.

I can identify with what you say about the original book, but as I'm sure you know, it has been tremendously successful because at the time it was published it was what the majority of people were looking for.  It provided the basics - and that is all it was intended to provide. 20 years on, I think it's time to go the next step (or even two or three) as I've done with the new book.  How is it going to deliver? I have a lot of passion for good food, particularly Indian food and a lot of that passion has gone into this book.  The recipes in the new book don't simply show you how to cook dishes in the restaurant way, they incorporate ingredients and techniques most restaurants don't bother with - fresh herbs, spice blends, good quality oils and meats, properly prepared.  All the things that make the difference between ordinary food and great food.  In addition to this, I have taken the care to make it healthy as I am a bit of a health fanatic.  Curry cooking does require generous amounts of oil for the right flavour, aroma and texture but if you use the right oils curry is not detrimental to your health, in fact it will contribute to good health.  I told you I can talk about it all day didn't I?  At the danger of going on a bit, all I can say is if you follow the recipes in the new book with an open mind you will be very pleasantly surprised.  Everyone who ate the food at the end of the huge cook ups (for the photography) raved about it, and we had different people at each session.  As I've said before, everyone has different tastes, so add a bit more chilli or a bit less oil or omit something you have an aversion to, but try something new out of this book and I don't think you will be disappointed.  Kris

Offline The Kris Dhillon

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2009, 02:51 AM »
Hi Kris and thank you for the interest in our forum.

I agree that the book reflects the current trends in contemporary BIR cuisine but many here are attempting to recreate the curries of yesteryear which we feel were perhaps simpler but definitely better than the fare dished up today, I personally think they managed to throw the baby out along with the flock wallpaper! That said I don't think we are closed minded at all and welcome any insight into Indian cookery, traditional, contemporary or whatever.
Regarding the base, my comments above were made before I had tried it. Since then I've made it 3 times now and find it works very well but I still don't think you can fry 1kg of onion in just 3 tbs of oil, not sure how much oil I use I just cover the bottom of the pan to about 1/8th inch and find that works well.

Couldn't agree more about the benefit of using top quality ingredients, that's one of the main reasons I got into cooking my own curries at least I know what's in them, not long ago I went to a new purpose built venue, flash interior design and adventurous menu and had the worst meal I've ever had (fish curry and bhindi bhaji both made with frozen ingredients and they had the nerve to charge me nearly ?30).
Back to the book, very nicely presented, excellent photos, really good base and some nice veggie recipes (that cauli keema is really nice, thank you) well worth the price of a take away which is what it cost me, I'd happily recommended it to anyone.

Regards
CoR

Hi CoR,

Thank you for your kind words. I really like that cauliflower kheema too.

I completely agree with you regarding most of the new restaurants.  I don't think these new chefs threw the baby out though, I think they never had it.  Those fundamentals that those of us who started out eating BIR curries 25 plus years ago yearn for, just do not exist in their cooking repetoire.  However, there are some modern chefs who have managed to combine new to old and far from losing the tastes of yesteryear they have added to them.  You can create new dishes with new ingredients and keep the fundamentals, I believe The New Curry Secret has done that.  It's more creative and more adventurous than its predecessor but  some of the new dishes are every bit as good as the old classics, if not better.  There is a greater use of fresh herbs and roast spices and blends - a bit more work than the simple curry but absolutely worth the extra effort. During the cook ups I found myself really enjoying dishes that I probably wouldn't order if I were in a restaurant. 

Now the oil and the onions.  You can always use a little more if you don't mind it but I've tried to keep the amount of oil down for people who want their curries less greasy.  You can always add more at the cooking stage but you can't easily take it out.  However, for the level of "frying" that is required for this sauce you don't need much oil.  If you stir the onions around in the oil until all the pieces are well coated before you get the pan really hot they will fry sufficiently to make them sweet.  Once you turn the heat right down, they don't need to fry.  The salt helps them to cook and break down and then they can be boiled with out making that horrible smell.

Hope that helps, Kris

©2024 Curry Recipes