Author Topic: Homemade Tandoori oven construction photos and blog  (Read 200590 times)

Offline Unclebuck

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
Homemade Tandoori oven construction photos and blog
« on: April 18, 2009, 02:23 PM »
Hi,

Ive taken advantage of the recent nice weather and started to build my new garden patio whilst I'm at it i might as well construct tandoor oven oh what the hell I'm going to build a pizza oven too!! side by side ill blog it as the weeks go by i hoping to get it all done for summer!!  :)

heres some pics of the shuttering/base I'm hoping to level the concrete this weekend i have a load of hardcore to get shot of so this is ideal.

P.S im after some tandoor liner photos inner/outer and if possible a cross-section diagram i have good idea how I'm going about it but more info i can gather the better! if anyone can help? Thanks UB.

Offline Onion B

• Senior Chef
    • View Profile
Re: Homemade Tandoori oven construction photos and blog
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2009, 02:54 PM »
I shall be watching this with interest UB.

Offline JerryM

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2009, 04:39 PM »
UB,

you're impressing me now with all this cross sectional diagram lingo.

can't help with the info i know my concrete and well impressed with your shuttering.

best wishes on this impressive project. pizza oven sounds very optimistic - do u intend to fire it with wood.

Offline Domi

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2009, 07:49 PM »
I found this UB ;) Hope it helps :-*

http://www.villagok.dk/tandoor/

Offline Unclebuck

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2009, 09:00 AM »
UB,

you're impressing me now with all this cross sectional diagram lingo.

can't help with the info i know my concrete and well impressed with your shuttering.

best wishes on this impressive project. pizza oven sounds very optimistic - do u intend to fire it with wood.

Hi Jerry thanks and yeah wood and bbq coals

Offline Unclebuck

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2009, 09:02 AM »
I found this UB ;) Hope it helps :-*

http://www.villagok.dk/tandoor/

Thanks Domi Ive never seen that site before that guy is very talented awesome link great help  :)

Offline Unclebuck

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2009, 10:25 AM »
Again the south east is blessed with some nice spring weather and Ive finished the base with a 50:50 ballast and sharp sand on a 8 to 1 mix, leveled to the top of the shuttering. in a couple of days the concrete will be hard enough for me to remove the shuttering.

Offline George

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2009, 12:21 AM »
P.S im after some tandoor liner photos inner/outer and if possible a cross-section diagram i have good idea how I'm going about it but more info i can gather the better! if anyone can help? Thanks UB.

You may recall a photo I posted last year of an improvised tandoor which I tried to knock up from a pile of bricks. The one lesson I learned was that bigger is probably not best, as a large oven simply needs vast amounts of heat energy, and therefore fuel, to get it up to tandoor type temperatures - say 500C. Given I'm not aiming to cook restaurant type quantities, the next tandoor I try and build will be much, much smaller.

I'm glad my tandoor was only a temporary construction - easily dismantled - or I could have been left with a huge oven of little use.

Offline Unclebuck

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2009, 04:37 AM »
Hi George, Ive been thinking the same i guess I'm governed by the top opening which needs to be about 12" diameter so i can get bread in and out I'm estimating this will be a 40/50 liter inner cavity, about the same of a domestic oven. this really is suck it and see for me hopefully i can start the inner cavity in the next couple of weeks.  :)

Offline Cory Ander

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2009, 06:08 AM »
this really is suck it and see for me hopefully i can start the inner cavity in the next couple of weeks

Hi UB,

I have some tandoor design drawings if they would be of any use to you? 

It would give you an idea of the ratios of the dimensions and you can presumably scale them according to your needs.

©2024 Curry Recipes