Author Topic: Homemade Tandoori oven construction photos and blog  (Read 200651 times)

Offline Unclebuck

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
Re: Homemade Tandoori oven construction photos and blog
« Reply #120 on: October 29, 2009, 04:50 PM »
real lovley pics ub

i was wondering if a grill placed partly up the pot would solve any droppage problems?

also the internal area of the pot looks quite sooty (last pic you posted) how do you solve cooking nans on the side wall?

wish i had the area to build something like this, much better than a bog standard bbq.

Hi Jim,

yeah the soot is a pain but it does burn off, what you have to do is stoke it up with wood let it get to almost embers and put the lid on leave it for a hour and it will burn off all the soot, it sort off cremates it self, id do this at the beginning of the cooking session naans first while its at its hottest then ill cook the chicken.

i like the real wood cooking because of the taste and the cave man in me just loves fires but for ease I'm in the proses of getting a gas ring established so i can have both options open to me

the slippage thing is solved as i have made a sewer with clamp defo no more lost chickens ill get a pic of that up soon.

UB.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2009, 05:05 PM by Unclebuck »

Offline Razor

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: November 01, 2009, 06:04 PM »
Hi UB,

I am in awe of your Tandoor :P and so impressed that you achieved this with no building skills, absoutley bloody brilliant :o!!!  Just one question though, does your tikka or seekhs not tend to burn the further down the skewers? or does the heat dispurse evenly around the Tandoor.

I would love to have a go at building one of these things but if it turns out anything like the BBQ I built a few years back, I think Ill give it a miss :(

Quality tread mate,

Ray

Offline Unclebuck

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: November 02, 2009, 03:44 PM »
Thanks,

It pretty even ray the bottom part of the skewer does cook first with the outside getting a bit chard but i dont mind that

Offline Unclebuck

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: November 08, 2009, 01:26 PM »
9KW Gas Ring Happy Days!!

will be cooking with it next week.....  8)

Just need to make a shield for it first, UB.

« Last Edit: November 08, 2009, 01:51 PM by Unclebuck »

Offline Curry Barking Mad

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: November 08, 2009, 03:03 PM »
Hi UB,
That looks like the same unit as mine but taken out of its frame, supplied by Hamilton gas Products,
I tried this in my tandoor, temperature wise no problem at all, and as you say you need a shield to stop the heat getting back toward the valve and hose,
The only problem I found was it made the clay a little damp from the water vapour given off by the combustion of the propane,
It wasn't an option to run natural gas to the tandoor,
Good luck with mate,
Bob

Offline Unclebuck

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: November 08, 2009, 08:23 PM »
yeah read about that bob, ill keep a eye out on the old vapor situation and report back, things so far tonight looking good.  8)

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: November 08, 2009, 08:55 PM »
yeah read about that bob, ill keep a eye out on the old vapor situation and report back, things so far tonight looking good.  8)

Cheers UB,
If the water vapour isn't an issue, will you be using some kind of baffle plate to spread the direct heat to the sides of the tandoor, I find I have to do this on my charcoal fired one just to protect the meat on the lower end of the skewers,
its something I've seen on restaurant gas tandoors,
Bob

Offline Unclebuck

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: November 09, 2009, 07:46 AM »

Cheers UB,
If the water vapour isn't an issue, will you be using some kind of baffle plate to spread the direct heat to the sides of the tandoor, I find I have to do this on my charcoal fired one just to protect the meat on the lower end of the skewers,
Bob

great minds think alike bob Ive made a tripod to go over ring to dissipate the heat, ill get a pic up tonight

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: November 09, 2009, 11:22 AM »

Cheers UB,
Bob

Hi UB,
I should have known better than to think you wouldn't have thought of that ;D
looking forward to the pictures,
Bob
great minds think alike bob Ive made a tripod to go over ring to dissipate the heat, ill get a pic up tonight

Offline Unclebuck

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: November 22, 2009, 11:15 AM »
Heres the pic's of the shield/baffle i made to push the flames out-wards thus to make heating of the clay more efficient also Ive Incorporated a adjustable skewer rest in the center, works very well, this whole gas thing is sooooo much easier takes 45 Min's with the gas on about 3/4's for there to be enough heat for naan bread cooking

I found no noticeable difference between the gas vs coal in fact i think the chicken was more succulent when using the gas.

all said and done I'm very happy.

UB  8)

©2024 Curry Recipes