Author Topic: Homemade Tandoori oven construction photos and blog  (Read 200666 times)

Offline joshallen2k

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
Re: Homemade Tandoori oven construction photos and blog
« Reply #70 on: July 11, 2009, 03:21 AM »
Wow!  :o

Must see some tikka and a tandoori chicken!

Glad to see it didn't crack under the heat. I'm now eyeballing my yard to decide where I might put mine. Would you be willing to share your construction method?

-- Josh

Offline Unclebuck

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: July 11, 2009, 07:00 AM »
Quatermass experiment..or what?!
Bloody brilliant results judging by the pics UB. I am well impressed.OK now all we need to see is some tandoori chicken.
BTW how difficult was it to get the naans to stick? Did you wet one side? 

Thanks SS, very easy just pressed it to the sides with a t.towel pillow and thats it i love watching them its amassing how quick it takes em to cook!!

Offline Unclebuck

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: July 11, 2009, 07:11 AM »
Wow!  :o

Must see some tikka and a tandoori chicken!

Havent taken any Tikka pics yet but will on my next trip to the tandoori gardens! :)

Glad to see it didn't crack under the heat. I'm now eyeballing my yard to decide where I might put mine, Would you be willing to share your construction method?

yeah of coarse J, you can allways PM me any Questions.

Basically if you have some DIY skills and about 70 quid you can build one in a week i recon, careful tho because everytime you go to a garden center you will be eyeballing the plant pots thinking will take a naan bread? i did, still do  ::)
« Last Edit: July 11, 2009, 07:51 AM by Unclebuck »

Offline JerryM

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: July 11, 2009, 08:26 AM »
UB,

yep fantastic.

how much fuel are u using per fire. a few details pls and i'm going have to take my good lady to the garden ctr.

Offline CurryOnRegardless

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: July 11, 2009, 09:27 AM »
Stunning UB absolutely stunning. Congratulations on a fabulous job.

8) 8) 8) 8)

Cheers
CoR

Offline Cory Ander

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #75 on: July 11, 2009, 10:58 AM »
Brlliant job UB, I'm pleased to hear that you've not got any cracking or explosions!  8)

Offline qprbob

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: July 11, 2009, 12:13 PM »
Have to say UB, that's one fine tandoor you've made. Next year I will have finished my garden, lots of hard landscaping going on at the moment. I will certainly build one myself, and possibly a wood burning bread oven. For someone with, by your own admission, no bricklaying skills, you've done one fine job. Envious as hell, that you can now cook all that lovely chicken Tikka and nanns. Will you have a go at Sheek kebabs at any time in the oven?. I'm only assuming Sheek kebabs are cooked in a Tandoor. Would be interested in the results.

Offline Unclebuck

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: July 11, 2009, 03:41 PM »
Thanks CA, Qprbob and CoR

get building Bob you wont look back, i had a tandoori party the other night all the fellas cant help but gather round it all night having a play its a real talking point they want me build them one now!

sheek kebabs are deff on the agenda what recipes would people recommend? only because I'm not a massive sheek/keema lover and never ordered it so wouldn't know good from bad, ill take some pics. UB  :)
« Last Edit: July 12, 2009, 11:53 AM by Unclebuck »

Offline George

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: July 12, 2009, 10:47 AM »
I'm pleased for you that I've been proved wrong, so far, in terms of any cracks. I guess the biggest risk was during the first few firings, and as you're got past those, and not reported anything, you might be home and dry in the long term. I hope so.

As for style and 'artistic merit', your tandoor really should take first prize. I never fancied an ugly lump something like some of the others, in my back yard, but your design really does look good, quite apart from seeming to work well.

Offline qprbob

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: July 12, 2009, 11:19 AM »
Thanks CA and Qprbob

get building Bob you wont look back, i had a tandoori party the other night all the fellas cant help but gather round it all night having a play its a real talking point they want me build them one now!

sheek kebabs are deff on the agenda what recipes would people recommend? only because I'm not a massive sheek/keema lover and never ordered it so wouldn't know good from bad, ill take some pics. UB  :)

I'm building in the garden now, unfortunately not a Tandoor, but  retaining walls,steps and fencing. It'll have to be next year. UB please keep posting the fantastic pictures of your food, it'll make that year go so fast LOL.

©2024 Curry Recipes