Author Topic: Homemade Tandoori oven construction photos and blog  (Read 200597 times)

Offline Cory Ander

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
Re: Homemade Tandoori oven construction photos and blog
« Reply #30 on: June 15, 2009, 07:48 AM »
Looking really good UB, a really neat, professional job you're doing there!  8)

I'm not sure you'll have too much of a problem with the bricks cracking or exploding UB.  I'd rather anticipate possible cracking around the base of the terracotta pot and wherever you have changes in construction materials.

Needless to say, you'll no doubt fire it up slowly, in the first instance (to slowly drive out any moisture) and, thereafter, heat it up and cool it down gently  :P

Nice job, I look forward to seeing the completed and tested item!  8)

Offline JerryM

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 15, 2009, 08:02 AM »
UB,

as CA say's real professional job - have u done rendering before - scratch coat and all that mighty impressive.

this post has convinced me to give my chiminea ago as a sort of trial before maybe using a few bricks myself. i'm going to try to get one of those scure's this week.

Offline Unclebuck

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 15, 2009, 08:13 AM »
Looking really good UB, a really neat, professional job you're doing there!  8)

I'm not sure you'll have too much of a problem with the bricks cracking or exploding UB.  I'd rather anticipate possible cracking around the base of the terracotta pot and wherever you have changes in construction materials.

Needless to say, you'll no doubt fire it up slowly, in the first instance (to slowly drive out any moisture) and, thereafter, heat it up and cool it down gently  :P

Nice job, I look forward to seeing the completed and tested item!  8)

Thanks CA, i have to agree with you there, think Ive broke the back of it now just need to box it all in and insulate and in a way seems a shame  ;) any how will keep you posted, Ta.

Offline Unclebuck

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 15, 2009, 08:17 AM »
UB,

as CA say's real professional job - have u done rendering before - scratch coat and all that mighty impressive.

this post has convinced me to give my chiminea ago as a sort of trial before maybe using a few bricks myself. i'm going to try to get one of those scure's this week.

Jerry, No i haven't done rendering before but watched other people so i got the jist so to speak.
Look forward to seeing your attempt looks like the bug is catching  8). UB.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2009, 10:45 AM by Unclebuck »

Offline George

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 15, 2009, 01:48 PM »
Place your bets folks! Will it crack, explode or what?

I still reckon you'd have been better off with a 'loose' build using no cement. As it is, I'd stand well back when you fire it up and thereafter. I've never seen bricks explode but I doubt if it's as serious as a boiler or something exploding. I think serious cracks could be the main threat, especially now that you've got a lamination comprising the clay pot, metal grid and cement. The metal will expand at a different rate and could even help the pot to crack. I would not have added a metal grid or anything at all to the outside of the pot myself. Loose Perlite or something would have been better.

If standard bricks and cement are fine for furnaces operating at around 400-500C, then they wouldn't bother to produce fire bricks and fire cement.

My bet - it might work to cook some food but it will crack.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2009, 05:46 PM by George »

Offline CurryOnRegardless

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 15, 2009, 03:32 PM »
Hi UB

Have you checked this guys' site out?

http://piers.thompson.users.btopenworld.com/index.html

CoR

Offline Unclebuck

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 15, 2009, 05:15 PM »
Hi UB

Have you checked this guys' site out?

http://piers.thompson.users.btopenworld.com/index.html

CoR

Hi CoR yeah have seen that site, hes done a nice job there wish i had the money to get a pukka tandoor liner, maybe next time huh.. i need to get some of that vermiculite or perlite cheapest Ive seen is 15 quid for 100 liters which is not too bad. Thanks UB.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2009, 05:33 PM by Unclebuck »

Offline chilli head

• Senior Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 15, 2009, 10:52 PM »
I have telephoned the company where the clay liners are made and they are !!! wait for it ?200 each then you got build costs. I have seen the complete ovens going for ?200 second hand OK they do not look as good but they cook the same.
               Andy

Offline JerryM

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 16, 2009, 07:29 PM »
UB,

inspirational stuff this.

i've got the skewer i was thinking of and attached pic of it in my chiminea.

the skewer is 700 lg inc the handle.

i'll get some tikka on marinade this w/e to try and get an idea if this tandoor oven is for me.

feel i need to dig out a previous post by i think Haldi to get more background on the cooking.

can't wait for the rest of your build - i'm totally sold on what i've seen so far - let the civil engineers sneer at the simplicity and ingenuity.

Offline Secret Santa

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 16, 2009, 08:02 PM »
That really looks the part UB, I hope it works out. The only thing that crossed my mind though was that you ( well, I) don't know what's in those terracota pots. I'd be worried that something nasty would leech out into my naans!

©2024 Curry Recipes