Author Topic: My take on CRO2 Base  (Read 16713 times)

Offline JerryM

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
Re: My take on CRO2 Base
« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2009, 12:25 PM »
Secret Santa,

as always very interesting stuff.

i started out "counting them in and counting them out". of course i lost a few now and again and started using the muslin bag as the flavour/taste could easily move out of balance. also if they are left in they don't always get blended enough and carry through to the curry (sometimes good effect, sometimes not).

i guess pre grinding them would work the same. i think u would need to be quite careful on the amounts of grounded as u are after a very subtle impact.

i am sure if u've got the inclination (for some trial and error to get the amounts right) then why not use ground.

Offline Cory Ander

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 09, 2009, 08:13 AM »
The original version of this base (i.e. CRO2) was very much simpler than Jerry's modified version above:

Ingredients:

• 100ml oil
  • 200g onions (coarsely chopped)
  • 0.5 tsp fresh pureed garlic
  • 0.25 tsp fresh pureed ginger
  • 1 tsp tomato paste
  • 0.25 tsp salt
  • 1 tsp spice mix (masala)
  • 0.5 litres water

Method:

• Place all ingredients in a lidded pan and heat to a simmer
  • Gently simmer for 30 minutes (lid on)
  • Allow to cool sufficiently for blending
  • Blend to a fine consistency
  • Place back in pan ands bring back to a simmer
  • Gently simmer for a further 45 minutes (lid on)
  • Use immediately or allow to cool and store in fridge or freezer for later use

I don't know why the threads, relating to this base, were removed from the forum.  It's quite annoying, given the amount of effort that went into them by several members  :-\

Offline JerryM

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 09, 2009, 10:11 AM »
CA,

well pleased u posted the recipe. i'd thought much the same after my last post.

in fact i've not made the CRO2 original or KD1 since the development work. in that time my currymaking has step changed big time (thanks to CRO). i did think (only for a short time) that i should revisit just to make sure my underlying principles still hold good.  trouble is my biggest observation after joining the site (and switched from using solely KD1 & LB bases) was how much a difference the veg made (provided a balance is maintained).

i'd also add if anyone is going to try the recipe to also use CA's curry powder. there may be a link but this is how i have it (parts): coriander seed 6, paprika 1, methi 1, cumin 1 (i think i've adjusted this), chilli 0.5, turmeric 6, garlic powder 2, ginger powder 0.5, mustard seed 0 (i think this should be in not sure why zero), green cardamom 1, fennel seeds 1, curry leaves 1, casia 0.5, asafoetida 0.25, star anis 1, fenugreek seed 1.

i must admit making from scratch is too much for me and i rely now on rajah. making your own is a real insight into the spices though and this one tastes very very good. probably i'd say better than the rajah. maybe this (re emin-j's big day post, http://www.curry-recipes.co.uk/curry/index.php?topic=3664.msg33102#msg33102) is where BIR's in making their own make the difference.

Offline Cory Ander

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 09, 2009, 12:49 PM »
i'd also add if anyone is going to try the recipe to also use CA's curry powder. there may be a link but this is how i have it (parts): coriander seed 6, paprika 1, methi 1, cumin 1 (i think i've adjusted this), chilli 0.5, turmeric 6, garlic powder 2, ginger powder 0.5, mustard seed 0 (i think this should be in not sure why zero), green cardamom 1, fennel seeds 1, curry leaves 1, casia 0.5, asafoetida 0.25, star anis 1, fenugreek seed 1

Errrrr, nope, that all looks rather unfamiliar (and quite different) Jerry!  :-\

Offline George

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 09, 2009, 01:23 PM »
I've watched the bases being made from the Malik and east live webcams and they use a few bay leaves, some cinnamon stick, star anise etc., all the usual stuff. Now, do you really think they are going to fish about in one of those bloody great stock pots they make these bases in to remove these whole spices? Course they're not! They just blend them up with the rest of the base.

You might be right but has anybody tasted/assessed any of Malik's dishes? If they are up to current (2009) average BIR standard, then they are likely to be rubbish, i.e. not taste very good at all, so any observations need to be suspect.

On Friday, I had another very disappointing meal in a BIR in another part of the UK, where I know there are loads of BIRs. My friends suggested going to their favourite but I'm sorry to say I didn't rate the food very highly at all. I know there are recipes on this site which produce better results than this typical, sad, average 2009 BIR junk.

Offline JerryM

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 11, 2009, 08:44 AM »
Errrrr, nope, that all looks rather unfamiliar (and quite different) Jerry!  :-\

yep! my mistake. having looked into the cells of my spreadsheet i can see the above version is the last one i tried which as u say is quite different. my comment on the taste did apply to the original as although i tried to adapt it i never completed the exercise having stumbled on the rajah and having other priorities. the major problem was that i could not make the batch size small enough to make meaningful comparison due to lack of accurate scales. hence progress was too slow.

org version:

coriander seed 6, paprika 6, methi 1, cumin 6, chilli 0.5, turmeric 6, garlic powder 2, ginger powder 0.5, green cardamom 1, fennel seeds 1, curry leaves 1, casia 0.5, asafoetida 0.25, fenugreek seed 1.

Offline Cory Ander

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 12, 2009, 02:38 AM »
Just for the record, THIS is the original version of the masala Jerry:

Ingredients:

• 2 tbsp coriander powder
  • 2 tbsp tumeric powder
  • 1 tbsp cumin powder
  • 1 tbsp paprika powder
  • 2 tsp garlic powder
  • 1 tsp cardamom powder
  • 1 tsp fenugreek seed powder
  • 1 tsp fenugreek leaves (ground)
  • 1 tsp dried curry leaves (ground)
  • 1 tsp fennel seeds (ground)
  • 0.5 tsp chili powder
  • 0.5 tsp ginger powder
  • 0.5 tsp cassia powder
  • 0.25 tsp asafoetida powder

Method:

Simply mix all the ingredients into a homogeneous blend.  Store in a sterile, dry, airtight container, in a cool, dark, dry place

Offline captain pugwash

• Junior Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 12, 2009, 02:50 PM »
wow. love this so much i now have loads frozen. slight trials with some but stunning all the same. re muslin bags, i just use a unused bandage and worls a treat. might invest in a spice ball to give it a go.

Offline currymonster

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 12, 2009, 08:13 PM »
Hi Jerry,

I'm definitely going to have a go at this one, it sounds right up my alley. Have you tried or considered substituting the 30 ml of Marg for 30 ml of Ghee? I'm wondering if it might improve it even more.

CM

Offline JerryM

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 13, 2009, 10:17 AM »
Captain P,

well pleased. base i find is quite a personal thing in terms of ingredients. this has no pepper in for example (and also no tomato). it's based on the CRO2 base and then adapted to my local TA's base (no recipe just trial and error).

although i make it pretty much all the time i do fancy now and again trying my other fav bases which are quite different ie rajver, saffron, ifindforu. whichever u go for (several others have good review) i'd encourage u to try out a few - it's real good learning.

currymonster,

the marg came from the ashoka base. i think my view on ghee is affected by previous bad experience - it has a very strong taste. if used sparingly then it's great. like CA has stated previously i too love it in a restaurant on naan for example. for use in a base (in the small qty) would be fine.

Nb i have used it in currytesters base in larger qty (250ml) and it does not work for sure (not for me anyhow).http://www.curry-recipes.co.uk/curry/index.php?topic=2614.msg23021#msg23021

©2024 Curry Recipes