Author Topic: My take on CRO2 Base  (Read 16715 times)

Offline JerryM

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
Re: My take on CRO2 Base
« Reply #20 on: August 17, 2009, 09:03 AM »
Update

following some recent posts on base cooking i realised the description in the original post of the recipe on page 1 is wrong and does not adequately explain the "slow/gentle" approach to the cooking that i use:

method (rev 2)
delete - 1) all in pan with lid on and boil/fast simmer 2 hrs
insert - 1) all in pan with lid on and gentle simmer 2 hrs

by example i use the smallest burner on my gas hob (1kw) with the flame level with the burner assembly.

delete - 3) add 1000ml water and fast simmer for 1 hr (lid off)
add - 3) add 1000ml water and gentle simmer for ~1 hr (lid off)

i use the same hob setting as above.

through out both stages u need to stir now and again.

it's difficult to describe and end point for each. stage 1 the veg is well cooked through and easy to blend. stage 3 there is no more froth (which i scoop off), the watery taste has gone (from adding the water), specs of oil are starting to rise. it can take between 1 and 2 hrs. there is no improvement after 2 hrs.

Offline Panpot

• Spice Master Chef
  • CONTRIBUTING MEMBER
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 07, 2009, 02:57 PM »
Hi dellydel, I have been away for some time so forgive me if I ask what you mean by the Ashoka Hype, have I missed something that through my absence was not cleared up? I am encouraged though that JeeryM includes The Ashoka karahi in his five regular dishes.

I am just back and have lots to catch up on but see that margarine is included in your developed base sauce JerryM. On my last visit to The Ashoka the chef said that we could substitute olive oil for the margarine if we were concerned about using marg as I am, though used it again yesterday as I cooked up the Ashoka base.

I also got more recipes and will post them if there is still interest from my source though not sure what the hype refers too. Cheers Panpot

Offline dellydel

• Senior Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 07, 2009, 03:31 PM »
Hi dellydel, I have been away for some time so forgive me if I ask what you mean by the Ashoka Hype, have I missed something that through my absence was not cleared up?

Hi Panpot!  What I meant was I haven't had chance to produce any curries for a while, the last I did produce were when you first came back from the Ashoka restaurant and posted all those recipes which were very much "in the spot-light" of the forum!  I enjoyed producing those curries but never felt they were quite like my local, I feel the taste of the base is the factor.

Cheers

Del

Offline JerryM

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 07, 2009, 07:24 PM »
Panpot,

well pleased to see u back posting.

i am sold on marg - many thanks to the Ashoka. u'll notice i've reduce the amount (after much trial and error) and now feel it gives exactly what u need from the marg without it overpowering the rest of the base.

i'd love to here more on the recipe front.

i've used the garlic ginger paste a lot. i still can't decide which i prefer - paste of just fine chopped garlic. the korahi bhuna is fantastic. i still use the bunjarra and again can't really decide between ashoka and the original. i end u alternating. i also use the marinated pre cooked chicken if i'm not making tikka.

Offline Panpot

• Spice Master Chef
  • CONTRIBUTING MEMBER
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 08, 2009, 11:21 AM »
Thanks Del for clearing the hype thing up and JerryM for your welcome and feedback.

I got back into The Ashoka just before moving home and just haven't had the time to feed in what I learned. I have a few new sauces and some cool recipes from them though have yet to have a go with any of them myself. I am unfortunately on the road for a few weeks so it may be a wee while yet before I get the chance to post them.

I cooked a Dopiasa last night and again my wife fedback that it was as good as anything we would expect to have served up in our Glasgow area restaurants. Given the varied responce to the recipes I genuinely wonder if there is a big regional difference to taste and texture.

I am convinced about the Bunjarra and pre cooked Garlic and Ginger pastes but it could be regional preference. I am well up for having a go with your developments JerryM and even following your top five recipes.

Its great to be back with the change in weather not far away now and plenty of time to be indoors and cooking. Bye the way recently watched Rick Stein in Asia on TV and in one of the programmes he was looking for an Indian meal and the local guide said that sesame seeds were the secret ingredient that hooks us all into the taste and smell.  So I intend to watch it again and explore this in some way or other. Cheers Panpot

Offline JerryM

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 09, 2009, 07:08 PM »
Panpot,

it don't seem the same place without u're posts.

i too saw the rick stein (there is a post on it) - the biriyani bit was the best bit for me.

Offline JerryM

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 28, 2009, 07:27 AM »
update,

following a few posts i decided to up the garlic by x2 and have stopped blending it in water finding only marginal difference. garlic was 30g now 60g.

following a few posts (particularly tgad2007) i decided to make a low spice version. again only a marginal difference but i've adopted it as std.

ground coriander 10ml (was 25ml)
turmeric 5ml (was 25ml, i tried a 15ml on route)
chilli 2.5ml (was 5ml)
fennel 10ml (was 30ml, i tried a 15 & 20 on route)

changes take the spice down to ~2% c/w ~6% for the original spec. on route to the low spice i also tried a ~4%.

Offline dellydel

• Senior Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 08, 2010, 01:08 PM »
Hi Jerry,

Finally going to get round to making some more base this weekend and im going to give yours a whirl!

Just wondering though, when you say fennel is this fennel seeds? And also chilli I presume that is chilli powder not fresh chilli.

Cheers

Del

Offline JerryM

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 09, 2010, 08:57 AM »
dellydel,

will be real interesting how u find it. i rotate it with rajver and saffron as i feel a change in base now and then gives a bit more of a dimension on the curry.

the fennel is seed and it needs grinding (use it as u would coriander seed). chilli is chilli powder any will do (mine is TRS).

i am still using the update "low spice" version. i'd have to say the effect in the final curry is not that discerning ie the org is probably just as good.

Offline dellydel

• Senior Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 11, 2010, 10:46 PM »
@ Jerry,

Well I made the base Sunday afternoon and I have got to say it was the best smelling & tasting base I have cooked to date.

I haven't cooked many on the site, the few I have are SnS 2008, SnS Saffron, Ashoka and KD's and in my opinion this gives the best flavour and tasted very similar to my local's base sauce.

I think the ground fennel seed does a lot for the taste, I assume this ingredient is the major player as the other bases I have tried haven't included it.

I do wonder though, does it need 200g or so of blended plum tomatoes in there too?  Have you tried adding tomato Jerry?  I will however reserve judgement until I use it in a final dish at some point this week!

I followed the recipe as listed however there were a couple of tweaks....

- I used 150ml of oil

- The initial 300ml of water didn't go anywhere near covering the veg in the pot, infact I couldn't even see the water in the bottom when I poured it in so I filled it until the veg was covered.  This took it to the 2.5L mark in the pot.

- I simmered initially for 1.5 hrs

- After blending the level was down to approx 1.9L so I topped it back up to 3L (adding 1.1L)

- After an hour level was back down to about 1.9L again, I topped it up to about 2.1L expecting to split into 7 300ml portions, however when dished out it split into 8 300ml portions (obviously the pot markers are not that accurate).

So, on to the pics;

1.) Initial boiling the ingredients

2.) After blending

3.) Completed and dished up

4.) close-up

5.) Comparison with sample of my locals restaurants base.  Although the taste is very close, I assume my local adds tomato, hence the darker/red colouring and slight difference in taste.

I can't wait to try this one in a final dish as I have a lot of hope.  I could quite easily eat it on its own, which in my opinion is a good sign.

So initially Jerry, thanks very much for this recipe and I will report back soon!

Cheers

Del
« Last Edit: January 12, 2010, 12:01 AM by Cory Ander »

©2024 Curry Recipes