Author Topic: where to buy muslin bag. how to use them?  (Read 8616 times)

Offline adriandavidb

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
Re: where to buy muslin bag. how to use them?
« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2009, 10:48 PM »
Hi DD, I got the idea because I remember, years ago when I saw a demo, back when what is now a large sit-down, was just a small take-away only, the gaffer told me they use ALL the chicken, he pointed to the base pot bubbling away on the stove.  I took that to mean they took the meat off the carcass to precook, and made a stock from the bones to include in the base.

Their dishes nowadays, whilst still good, sometimes have the obvious flavour of a commercial chicken stock or 'boullion', if that's the right term.  NOT nearly as good as home made stock.  Presumably a labour-saver!

Basically I boil-up a left over roast chicken carcass for 2 or 3 hours, filter off the bones and discard them. let the remaining liquid cool and scoop off the congealed fat from the surface, then use all the liquid in place of water in my base, making up the quantity with water if there's not enough.

It's a bit of a faff, and filtering off all the nasty bones and stuff is not particularly pleasant, but it smells fantastic and adds a 'missing something'!!

Offline adriandavidb

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2009, 10:52 PM »
May seem obvious, but just to be complete: I throw that congealed fat from the surface, that IS NOT the stock.  I say this beacause something I read here before lead me the think that some members think the congealed stuff on the surface IS the stock!  It's the 'aqueous'phase underneith  that is the stock of course!

Offline Derek Dansak

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 27, 2009, 09:18 AM »
Your totally right adrian, the stock and juice from 5 cooked/boiled chicken thighs added a 1 percent of the missing taste. if not more! next time i make base its going to include this extra real chicken stock. nice one !

Offline adriandavidb

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 27, 2009, 10:26 PM »
Thanks Derek. it's not the whole story but if deffinately adds something, glad you had a similar result.  'Artificial' chicken stock is so far off the mark that it just isn't worth using, has to be the 'real Mc Coy'!

Offline Derek Dansak

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 28, 2009, 08:16 AM »
yes i agree. the real thing adds a moorish savory taste that goes really well with the spice and chilly.

Offline Derek Dansak

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 01, 2009, 10:02 AM »
made a muslim bag and dropped it into the base during cooking. best tasting base yet. i used one star anise, 4 cardoman, 6 peppercorns, and 2 bay. i think extra spices would be better next time. has anyone tried 3 star anise and more of each spice. or is that asking for trouble? 

Offline JerryM

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 01, 2009, 04:51 PM »
has anyone tried 3 star anise and more of each spice. or is that asking for trouble? 

i seemed to feel i dropped lucky on my 1st go and have not change the spec since. i did try 2 off anis and it worked well but not to the extent i felt worth it. i've not pushed the boundary through wanting to keep everything in sort of balance but that's not to say it's not worth trying more of each. would be interesting to see what happens.

i think time is also a factor (i boil for 2 hrs before removing, if u boiled only for 1 hr then u might need to double etc).

Offline Razor

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 11, 2010, 10:30 PM »
Just a another tip if you can't get hold of muslin bag or cloth.  Buy a new pair of tights, cut out the foot.  Place your whole spices in, and tie the loose end in a knot, and drop in the pan.  Tie a knot in the loose end in the leg of the tights, then cut the required length each time you need some.   Seemples.

Ray :)

P.S, Domi, this won't work with S&M fishnets ;D ;) :)

©2024 Curry Recipes