Author Topic: TOFFEE FLAVOUR AND KD`S NEW BOOK  (Read 22676 times)

Offline barrie44

• Chef
    • View Profile
TOFFEE FLAVOUR AND KD`S NEW BOOK
« on: April 22, 2009, 02:16 PM »
HIYA ALL I HAVE BEEN EXPERIMENTING WITH BIR`S FOR AT LEAST FIVE YEARS NOW AND RECENTLY PURCHASED KRIS DILLON`S NEW BOOK.I HAVE TRIED MANY BASES AND KEEP COMING BACK TO HIS ONE.HIS NEW BASE IS THE BEST SO FAR BY FAR.I HAVE COOKED BIR`S AT ULTRA HIGH HEATS AND DO NOT THINK THIS IS NECESSARY.IN THE NEW BOOK THE NEW BASE IS THE BEST YET AND LOOKING THROUGH THE BOOK READ THE CHICKEN METHI RECIPE.IN IT HE MENTIONS THE TOFFE TASTE.HE SUGGESTS FRYING FRESH OR DRIED METHI LEAVES AT AN EARLY STAGE.I HAVE ADOPTED THIS METHOD IN MY CURRIES AND HAD A EUREKA MOMENT IMMEDIATELY.THIS IS BY FAR THE BEST CURRIES I HAVE DONE AND HAVE HAD IN ANY RESTAURANT.I HAVE TRIED MANY BASES AND RECIPES ON THIS SITE AND HAD SOME SUCCESSES NONE AS SUCCESSFUL AS THIS ONE THOUGH.IF ANYONE WOULD LIKE ANY INFORMATION ON INGREDIENTS,ORDER OF PLAY OR TECHNIQUES THEN JUST ASK.MANY THANKS TO THE CRO SITE AND KEEP UP ALL THE GOOD WORK.
SPICY REGARDS
BARRIE

Offline Curry Barking Mad

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
Re: TOFFEE FLAVOUR AND KD`S NEW BOOK
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2009, 03:39 PM »
HIYA ALL I HAVE BEEN EXPERIMENTING WITH BIR`S FOR AT LEAST FIVE YEARS NOW AND RECENTLY PURCHASED KRIS DILLON`S NEW BOOK.I HAVE TRIED MANY BASES AND KEEP COMING BACK TO HIS ONE.HIS NEW BASE IS THE BEST SO FAR BY FAR.I HAVE COOKED BIR`S AT ULTRA HIGH HEATS AND DO NOT THINK THIS IS NECESSARY.IN THE NEW BOOK THE NEW BASE IS THE BEST YET AND LOOKING THROUGH THE BOOK READ THE CHICKEN METHI RECIPE.IN IT HE MENTIONS THE TOFFE TASTE.HE SUGGESTS FRYING FRESH OR DRIED METHI LEAVES AT AN EARLY STAGE.I HAVE ADOPTED THIS METHOD IN MY CURRIES AND HAD A EUREKA MOMENT IMMEDIATELY.THIS IS BY FAR THE BEST CURRIES I HAVE DONE AND HAVE HAD IN ANY RESTAURANT.I HAVE TRIED MANY BASES AND RECIPES ON THIS SITE AND HAD SOME SUCCESSES NONE AS SUCCESSFUL AS THIS ONE THOUGH.IF ANYONE WOULD LIKE ANY INFORMATION ON INGREDIENTS,ORDER OF PLAY OR TECHNIQUES THEN JUST ASK.MANY THANKS TO THE CRO SITE AND KEEP UP ALL THE GOOD WORK.
SPICY REGARDS
BARRIE

Hi Barrie,

Its very interesting about the fresh methi giving this result, something I will have to try,
BTW Kris is a woman,
Thanks for your input,

Bob

Offline barrie44

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2009, 04:21 PM »
how embarrassing is that thanks for telling me about her.no wonder i couldn`t find him.
cheers
barrie

Offline JerryM

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2009, 07:58 PM »
barrie44,

what would u say in the new KD base is making such a big improvement to the original.

it's one to ponder for me as i've not made the KD original base (felt a need) since i've started using the CRO bases.

ps to gary - fancy parker21's toffee description gaining publishing merit. (gary got me up the learning curve when i joined on how to cook and toffee was and is a big part of it).

Offline barrie44

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2009, 10:20 AM »
hiya jerry m i have also made quite a few on here as well and have adopted some parts.kd`s base has always worked for me.the new base fries the onions for the base before boiling giving a much nicer smell.the finished result is also of a better texture and more flavourful.i would normally add some muli and other veg sometimes.the toffee-smokey taste however has nothing to do with the base.heat is a factor although it is the methi thst does it.i have come close to the taste without methi the difference is quite a lot with methi though.someone on here mentioned methi years ago although they were saying throw it in at a later stage.the book says fresh methi in at the beginning for 5-10 minutes and dried methi for about 10 seconds.i would always fry a cuple of tablespoons of diced onion and about a tablespoon of both chopped garlic and ginger in at the beginning making sure no smoke rises hence not burning them at this stage then i would put the methi in and then the base.the onion and garlic and ginger were another tip on this site which i will always use.i do believe that kd`s base is the best some of the bases on here call for loads of spices sometimes making it gritty.some have even said to put about 2 pints of oil in the base.i think kd`s is a good starting point and quite easy to personalise.
regards
barrie
ps yeah i did see the toffee-smokey line a long long time ago on here also and that does give the best description of the taste.as soon as i saw that written i realised that it is that taste that we all are after.

Offline JerryM

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2009, 07:55 AM »
barrie44,

appreciate the in depth reply. all sort of makes sense. the "sort of" being:

the boil fry onion is something i've wrestled with. in the end i've concluded if u make the base well using boil it's every bit as good.

the rest is the methi. have u tried the fresh. there has been a recent post which concluded it was not worth buying - trouble is i keep seeing loads of the stuff in my local asian store. i guess it could well be for traditional and not BIR. i tend to go with traditional as i currently feel i've concluded i don't like curry with it in. hence the interest - the earlier addition may be something i'm missing and could work for me (i've tried adding with the spice, just before the base and after the base with the same -ve result).

could u clarify exactly when for the dried and do u grind it. i was expecting it to go in with the garlic/ginger ie be fried in advance of adding the spices so the timing would be garlic/ginger/methi, spices, base.

best wishes

ps on the oil i too feel it crucial aspect - i've settled on about 13% of the onion weight

Offline curryqueen

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2009, 07:29 PM »
Hi Barrie44

Wondered if its at all possible for you to list down some of the recipes from Kris Dhillons new book.  I am undecided whether to buy it or not due to some of the reviews the book has been given on Amazon. CQ

Offline adriandavidb

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2009, 12:13 AM »
I put  a qtr lev tps of ground-up dried methi leaf (KD recommends grinding dried methi leaf in her first book), into the hot oil along with a (BE) spice mix, chilie powder etc, when I do a madras.  As the oil is warming beforehand I chuck in a finely chopped chilie, and when it starts sizzling briskly, I know the oil is hot enough to fry the spices without burning them  (a Bruce Edward's technique). 

I also use a very heavy frying pan, this helps contol the heat also.  It's very easy to burn spices in a thin wok-type pan.

In goes the spices plus methi, followed by 30 seconds to a minute of frying, then in goes the base in stages.  It's not perfect by any means but the results are better than any of my local BIRs, but I would say not quite up to the best BIRs in the land!

I tried leaving-out the methi, and also adding it later, but neither is as good.

Interstingly I still rate KDs base, although my version has evolved, I include home made chicken stock, small  quantities of carrot & celery, and one or slight variations in technique.

Offline haldi

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2009, 07:46 AM »
I am undecided whether to buy it or not due to some of the reviews the book has been given on Amazon. CQ
I know what you mean CQ
This would be my third version of the book
My second copy hasn't even been curry stained yet
I didn't need any of the newer recipes

I've just read the Amazon reviews
I think KD hasn't seen a menu from a BIR takeaway for a while
That's what we really wanted, wasn't it?
Madras, Vindaloo, CTM, Phall,Tikka etc.
All the favourites and a really good base, but pork with sprouts?
I've never seen pork in a BIR

« Last Edit: April 27, 2009, 08:05 AM by haldi »

Offline Derek Dansak

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2009, 09:35 AM »
i would have thought most experienced members on this site are well beyond what the kd book can teach. i am confident my best efforts are well beyond those which the books teach. and i am sure any new tips from the book will end up posted here anyway.

©2024 Curry Recipes