Author Topic: chilli heads base  (Read 2515 times)

Offline chilli head

• Senior Chef
    • View Profile
chilli heads base
« on: May 09, 2009, 10:11 PM »
 makes 32 portions or 96 ladle's full.
 take
 3.2kg onions after pealed and sliced through once and washed well
 210g garlic pealed
 110g ginger pealed or scrapped and cut into thin slices if you use a garam masala with ginger in cut down to 80g
 650g plumb toms tinned
 450mls good veg oil
 200g carrots rough chopped
 2 table spoons turmeric
 1 table spoon tom puree
 2 teaspoons salt do not add to much salt as you can add at the meal stage
 5 1/2 pints water or enough to cover onions
method
 put all in a large sauce pan and Bring to the boil skim of any scum at this stage
 then turn down to very low and cook slowly with the lid on for 2 hours more if you have the time but check water,
 turn off the heat and allow to cool for a few hours or so,I leave it over night.
 then blend a portion at a time through a colander as in my photo on base sauce (do not over blend)using the back of a ladle slowly rub the sauce through the colander whats left in there can be put through again if at this stage there is a bit not going through throw it away.
 Before you make the portions of base sauce make sure that its all in one pot and stirred well then with a ladle take out in 3 ladles per meal stir now and again as you go and then freeze or use as you wish.

you should now have about 32 portions ready for the meals.good luck and let me no how it went Andy :)

Offline JerryM

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
Re: chilli heads base
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2009, 10:35 AM »
Andy,

what's the ladle size or finished volume - i reckon ~80ml ladle and 8L finished vol. i use 300ml base per portion - hence appreciate the clarification.

rest is very comforting - it's what i'd call a "simple" base which i think i'm coming round to (revisiting a few bases that i've made previously at the mo to make comparison with the "simple" base). i'll add this base onto my todo list of the revisit bases.

the spicing is intriguingly very low. i'm also warming to adding back ginger into the base (had left it out for quite a while).

have u any info on how the base recipe came about/evolved.

Offline chilli head

• Senior Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2009, 05:14 PM »
Hi jerry,
 Evolved, It came to me from the chef were i worked in Greece but i had to change it slightly and used kd curry secrets to help me to use oil and not stock in the base because a friend is a vegetarian  and after much experimenting got it down to the one i use today that i have used for 7 years or so.
 My ladle holds about 110mls
  Andy

Offline JerryM

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2009, 07:12 AM »
thanks Andy,

the 110ml ladle gives ~10L. my stock pan is 4.3l so i will need to adjust the recipe pro rata when i make it.

have u made a smaller version as other's i guess may struggle with the volume. i don't freeze base either.

Offline chilli head

• Senior Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2009, 08:20 AM »
If you make less you must add more water by proportion so if you make half use 3 pints or so as onions seem to make there own water when cooking,
      Andy

Offline sarannan

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2009, 11:30 AM »
i thin k chilli head is right i accept him what he says

©2024 Curry Recipes