Author Topic: chicken piri piri  (Read 20581 times)

Offline Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
Re: chicken piri piri
« Reply #50 on: April 23, 2011, 06:42 PM »
Wunderbar !

Offline JerryM

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: April 26, 2011, 10:29 AM »
Axe,

well pleased with your success.

ps for info the 3hr bbq slow grill is good but i missed getting the skin a little crisp by turning up for last 0.5hr (which i do normally on 2hr cook but not this time). on next go i'm going to slit the bone meat (only the skin to date) hoping to get to 2.5hrs with last 0.5 on full. after that i may relent and go back to the domestic oven.

Offline Malc.

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: April 26, 2011, 02:23 PM »
Hi Jerry,

Stop it, your making me hungry! ;)

It wasn't obvious at first, but I have just realised that you have spatchcocked your chicken differently to me. I think this may have an effect on the cooking times.

I spatchcock the chicken by removing the back bone, not through the breast plate. This allows you you to flatten it out a little more as the legs and wings do not overlap or cover the breast meat. This should help to give an even cook.

I've Googled this and came across the following http://youtu.be/l-8tMEwBnSA I picked up on the Keel Bone removal, which I don't normally do but will in future.

Offline Malc.

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: April 27, 2011, 11:07 PM »
Used up a little more of the Molho tonight on some lightly smoked salmon fillets from ASDA. An odd choice you might think but please give it a try before you condemn the idea. The smokiness from the fish really worked very well with the marinade.

Incidentally, the Molho has matured quite a bit having been sat in the fridge the last few days. Still within tolerance and even more tasty. The one thing I did note is that the lemon has all but dissolved, just leaving the pith and rind.

I might try tea smoking the chicken next time round. :)

Offline JerryM

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: April 29, 2011, 09:45 AM »
It wasn't obvious at first, but I have just realised that you have spatchcocked your chicken differently to me. I think this may have an effect on the cooking times.

Axe,

many thanks for extra insight - was not aware. will give it a go next time.

the bbq cooking is a sort of compromise. you want the bones cooked but the breast still sort of undercooked. then a last blast on full whack gives a crispy skin.

i've had similar problems in past cooking chicken legs for bbq. you can't really cook from raw. i now tend to put in oven for 20min to pre cook to allow easy finishing on bbq. i've also tried deep score and that sort of works but a tad hit and miss.

i'm almost there on the bbq piri cooking at total 3hr on low (next 2.5 hrs + blast). i think next time with some deep slits in the bones and the cutting out of the back bone i will be sorted.

ps going for onions tomorrow

©2024 Curry Recipes