Author Topic: Kris Dhillons Lamb Pasanda  (Read 12989 times)

Offline Secret Santa

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
Re: Kris Dhillons Lamb Pasanda
« Reply #20 on: June 21, 2009, 10:28 AM »
My thoughts on this would be that the use of wine is a new wave type of thing. If it is used it should only be with beef (ok, and possibly lamb) and should be red wine, in which the beef is marinated before being cooked. No extra wine should be used in the sauce (in my opinion).

Offline Cory Ander

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 21, 2009, 11:51 AM »
So where does the "vin" in "vindaloo" come from then?  Isn't it because traditionally (the Portuguese in this case) used to use it to marinate the meat to preserve it?

Or was it vinegar? More or less the same thing with the stuff I tend to drink  :P

Offline Secret Santa

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 21, 2009, 03:45 PM »
CA I was specifically talking about the use of wine in pasanda here. It's definitely not a traditional ingredient of this very traditional dish. I wasn't saying that wine isn't used at all in traditional Indian cooking.

The vin in vindaloo (as I'm sure you know!) refers to the red wine from the barrels which were used to transport, and keep fresh, the pork. Of course the journey from Portugal to Goa is a long one and so, inevitably, along the way, the wine became more vinegary. This is why authentic vindaloo uses (or should use) red wine vinegar, for authenticity.

Offline The Kris Dhillon

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 22, 2009, 01:16 AM »
Hi Kris

Your comment on the wine in a Pasanda is an interesting one. The only time I have seen it mentioned in any Indian recipe book, both were written by Pat Chapman. One was one of his titles, The Curry Bible and the other was a Sainsbury Indian cookbook. As said previously, I have tasted a Pasanda with the distinct taste of wine only once.

Well, fusion food is all the rage so why not? I think wine detracts from the basic Indian flavours though. Kris

Offline qprbob

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 22, 2009, 11:46 AM »
Have to say the Lamb Pasanda with the hint of wine was extreamly tasty and would love to have it again, but the chef has now changed and it was about four years ago.

Offline CurryOnRegardless

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 22, 2009, 03:18 PM »
There was a BIR local to me that did lamb passanda which they described as 'marinated in red wine and finished in cream sauce'. Never did try it and they went out of business, must be 20 years ago now, how time flies.
:o :o

CoR

Offline George

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 22, 2009, 07:42 PM »
There was a BIR local to me that did lamb passanda which they described as 'marinated in red wine and finished in cream sauce'.

I used to enjoy lamb pasanda in various BIRs and I'm sure quite a few of them mentioned red wine somewhere in the menu description. I use the past tense, only because I haven't ordered it for a few years. I hope it's as good now as it was a few years' back.

©2024 Curry Recipes