Author Topic: Kris Dhillons Lamb Pasanda  (Read 12921 times)

Offline JerryM

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
Re: Kris Dhillons Lamb Pasanda
« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2009, 08:17 AM »
Kris,

i've not tried a passanda. i'm still reading through my 2nd best book (KD1 being number one). there is quite a lot of recipes in the new book that are very tempting. i intend to make time over the summer to give it a real go.

on the "condensed" milk i effectively use it instead of cream. i use carnation and it's labelled "evaporated" milk. i use it in CTM and it works a treat. for me i think it produces a smoothness without the heaviness of cream. i use it in like for like proportions.

Offline chilli head

• Senior Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 18, 2009, 08:42 AM »
We often used condensed milk in the milder Curry's such as the passander,korma,tikka masala,and it works but do not over cook as it will start to turn (curdle)
  Andy

Offline 976bar

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 18, 2009, 08:42 AM »
If you're going to use sugar to sweeten things up a little, try getting hold of some Deshi Gor, which is crushed sugar cane. It's better than normal sugar which has been bleached and gives a nicer flavour.

Quite a lot of large Asian stores normally stock this.

Offline George

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 18, 2009, 09:41 AM »
on the "condensed" milk i effectively use it instead of cream. i use carnation and it's labelled "evaporated" milk.

Which do you use???!!! My understanding is that condensed milk and evaporated milk are completely different products, albeit both being based on milk, of course.

Offline JerryM

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 18, 2009, 04:49 PM »
sorry for not being clear.

i've only used carnation or evaporated milk in curry making (mainly in CTM).

my introduction to it came via making instant coffee.

Offline The Kris Dhillon

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 20, 2009, 02:28 AM »
Kris,

i've not tried a passanda. i'm still reading through my 2nd best book (KD1 being number one). there is quite a lot of recipes in the new book that are very tempting. i intend to make time over the summer to give it a real go.

on the "condensed" milk i effectively use it instead of cream. i use carnation and it's labelled "evaporated" milk. i use it in CTM and it works a treat. for me i think it produces a smoothness without the heaviness of cream. i use it in like for like proportions.

Ah, that makes sense to me now, that's a great idea.  I use evaporated milk too, it gives the sauce a lovely smoothness without too much creaminess.  I use the light though, I find the full fat version too dark and 'caramelly'.  If you decide to try the Bombay Beef (it is delicious) in The New Curry Secret, evaporated milk works really well instead of the coconut milk in the recipe.  Kris

Offline JerryM

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 20, 2009, 08:39 AM »
I use the light though, I find the full fat version too dark and 'caramelly'.  If you decide to try the Bombay Beef (it is delicious) in The New Curry Secret, evaporated milk works really well instead of the coconut milk in the recipe.

thanks for the prompt on the light version - i've not tried it and feel i need to give it a go on my next purchase. ps not got to pg 115 yet but sounds v.good (i've turned the pg corner down).

Offline qprbob

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 20, 2009, 05:32 PM »
JerryM

Having only made the Pasanda once, I have not compared the difference between Corriander Leaf and Mint. When making the next one I will try it Kris's way again and a version with my changes to see if they work, and compare favourably with KD's, or that I'm way off the mark with my changes.

Offline qprbob

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 20, 2009, 05:40 PM »
Hi Kris

Your comment on the wine in a Pasanda is an interesting one. The only time I have seen it mentioned in any Indian recipe book, both were written by Pat Chapman. One was one of his titles, The Curry Bible and the other was a Sainsbury Indian cookbook. As said previously, I have tasted a Pasanda with the distinct taste of wine only once.

Offline JerryM

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 21, 2009, 07:58 AM »
on the wine front i came across this whilst trawlling on other things.

http://www.curry-recipes.co.uk/curry/index.php?topic=279.msg10373#msg10373

i do rate the poster who suggests wine is occasionally used.

©2024 Curry Recipes