Author Topic: The best Lamb Tikka I have ever tasted  (Read 7044 times)

Offline 976bar

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
The best Lamb Tikka I have ever tasted
« on: June 04, 2009, 05:32 PM »
Following the recent recipes on Chicken Tikka, I decided a few days ago to have a go at Lamb Tikka. The recipe is pretty similar as to Chicken Tikka with the addition of an item or 2. I ended up marinating this for over 48 hours and I have to admit the results were very good. I've added a couple of pictures of the Lamb Marinating and the final product on the plate......

Ingredients
600g Lamb Leg Steaks
1 heaped tblsp Pataks tikka curry paste 
1 level tblsp Pataks tandoori curry paste
1 heaped tsp fresh garlic, finely chopped
1 tsp fresh grated ginger
1 tsp lemon juice (Jiff is ok)
1/4 tsp Kashmiri chilli powder
1 desert  spoon (10ml) spice mixture (equal parts ground coriander, turmeric, garam masala, curry powder). I use this same mix for my curries.
1/4 tsp Red food colouring
1 level tsp methi
1 level tsp salt
2 tblsp veg oil
3 tblsp water

Method
1. Chop the Lamb into 2 or 3 inch pieces
2.  Mix the rest of the ingredients in a bowl
4. Add the lamb to the runny spice mixture, cover and leave in fridge for 8 hours minimum, the longer the better. I just marinated mine for 48 hours.
5. Heat a non stick pan and cook the lamb on a high heat to seal the edges, then reduce the heat to ensure the lamb cooks through and is tender.

Serve with salad, a lemon wedge and mint sauce.

Offline qprbob

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
Re: The best Lamb Tikka I have ever tasted
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2009, 07:27 PM »
976bar
That looks really tasty. I will be trying this, this weekend but will be putting the Tikas on skewers and cooking over coals.

Offline 976bar

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2009, 08:08 PM »
Thats my next ambition to try it over the coals, I guess it will all depend on the lamb cut people buy as to how it will turn out.

Let us know how you get on :)

Offline Curry King

• I've Had Way Too Much Curry
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2009, 08:56 PM »
That looks very good, I've not really tried much lamb tikka I always think it would be a waste of expensive meat, I don't really know why and looking at that I am tempted to try it.

Offline 976bar

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2009, 09:26 PM »
I was eating Lamb Tikka for years before I tried the Chicken version. I appreciate that Lamb is an expensive cut of meat, but the flavour is so much better than chicken. I am currently looking into stewing lamb which is cheaper and whether I could adapt it into a dish which will keep the flavour and style of the BIR if slow cooked rather than the more expensive cuts.

I will also ask my local butcher to joint a leg of lamb for me to try. Not only could this produce the lean meat needed for this dish but also give me the bone to boil up for stock.

Offline fried

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2012, 08:36 PM »
Big thanks out to everyone on the site. Finally managed to cook decent naan and pilau rice.

I'd love to cook up a batch of lamb tikka to use in various recipes. Is it possible to freeze tikka recipes? and if so, would it be advisable to half cook it?

Thanks in advance.

©2024 Curry Recipes