Author Topic: Anyone make Keema Naan  (Read 32600 times)

Offline Secret Santa

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
Re: Anyone make Keema Naan
« Reply #20 on: June 13, 2009, 11:57 PM »
CA the option one method looks spot on, very nice. But why are they so greasy? I guess you brush with ghee or something...never used to have greasy naans..ahh well.

Offline Cory Ander

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 14, 2009, 01:18 AM »
CA the option one method looks spot on, very nice. But why are they so greasy? I guess you brush with ghee or something...never used to have greasy naans..ahh well.

Yes, brushed with ghee....optional, I like them that way (good point though, BIR naans usually aren't so obviously greasy - maybe cos the ghee has soaked in?)

Offline JerryM

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 17, 2009, 07:13 AM »
i convinced myself to get a TA Keema Naan this week - i normally only go for them in restaurant as they don't seem to ever taste as good as a TA.

the meat is lamb for defo and no other meat will do.

the ingredients based on the taste must very simple and very much along the lines of CA's earlier post.

i'm thinking for a 1st go: lamb, garlic, tom puree, tandoori masala and (i think) slightest hint mint sauce

will post results.

Online George

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 17, 2009, 11:38 AM »
i normally only go for them in restaurant as they don't seem to ever taste as good as a TA.

Did you mean to say: "from a TA"? (which completely alters the meaning!)

Offline Cory Ander

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 17, 2009, 01:30 PM »
the meat is lamb for defo and no other meat will do

I agree that BIRs will mostly use lamb mince but I disagree that "no other meat will do".  Beef makes a suitable substitute (though generally more expensive) and I think you'd be hard pushed to tell them apart as keema meat.  I'm sure minced chicken would also work well.

Quote from: Jerry
i'm thinking for a 1st go: lamb, garlic, tom puree, tandoori masala and (i think) slightest hint mint sauce

I'm not sure why you'd add tomato puree Jerry?

Offline Cory Ander

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 17, 2009, 03:45 PM »
I used this mixture which looked, worked and tasted just fine (see previous photos):

1.0 Ingredients:

- 400g minced lamb (or beef if you prefer)
- 3 tsp tandoori masala (http://www.curry-recipes.co.uk/curry/index.php?topic=1514.0)
- 1 tsp of fresh garlic (minced)
- handfull of fresh, finely chopped coriander
- 1 tbsp lemon juice (fresh or bottled)
- 1 egg (for binding)
- 3 tbsp sugar (white granulated is fine)
- 1 tsp mint jelly (or sauce)
- 1 tsp dry fenugreek leaves

2.0 Method:

- lightly beat egg
- mix all ingredients and work into a course dough (by hand)

PS:  this is enough keema mix to make about 16 BIG naans.  I freeze any leftover for future use.

Offline JerryM

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 17, 2009, 06:35 PM »
George,

yes, sorry english was never strong. i really like keema naan in a restaurant - it seems so much fresher. the keema naans from every TA i've tried don't have the same freshness for whatever reason so i tend to stick to garlic naan from TA's.

CA,

on the lamb. when i tasted the TA naan the taste was instantly recognisable as lamb and of the taste that i associate with BIR. i've made keema with beef before and now see the error of my ways. of course others may wish to use other meat. for me the taste i know and really like is the lamb version - for me nothing else will do. ps i don't like lamb in a curry though.

many thanks for the recipe - it looks spot on for me. i will go with it hopefully tomorrow and report back.

Offline Secret Santa

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 17, 2009, 08:40 PM »
I agree that BIRs will mostly use lamb mince but I disagree that "no other meat will do".  Beef makes a suitable substitute (though generally more expensive) and I think you'd be hard pushed to tell them apart as keema meat.  I'm sure minced chicken would also work well.

OOOOH no,no,no,no,no!

Like Jerry said, it's lamb, always was lamb, and for a proper keema naan always will be lamb. The taste is very distinctively lamb.

Offline Cory Ander

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 18, 2009, 02:33 AM »
My point is that it is clearly incorrect to say "no other meat will do" when it clearly will (even though BIRs will typically uses lamb or mutton)! :-\

"Keema" simply means "minced meat".  I can see no reason why other meat can't be used (in principle). 

It is quite different than saying "most BIRs use lamb or mutton in their keema naans and I don't like any other meat in them"

It's a bit like saying "no rice other than basmati will do", which would also clearly be incorrect!
« Last Edit: July 18, 2009, 03:05 AM by Cory Ander »

Offline JerryM

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 18, 2009, 07:37 AM »
Secret Santa, CA,

certainly for "keema" u can use any meat. when i made currydev's sheek kebab http://www.curry-recipes.co.uk/curry/index.php?topic=3415.0;topicseen
i used beef and served in pitta. the meal was very good. i intend at some point try CA's recipe also http://www.curry-recipes.co.uk/curry/index.php?topic=1525.0

it was this experience that got me thinking of "keema naan". on my only go at making so far i used beef. it was only after having a TA naan that i realised my folly - my aim being to recreate at home something very close to a BIR keema naan. for this my taste buds are crying out lamb which was a suprise as normally in fact 100% i would never have a curry made with lamb.

hoping to give the recipe ago today.

©2024 Curry Recipes