Author Topic: Lamb and Spinach Curry - Rick Steins  (Read 155996 times)

Offline Graeme

• Spice Master Chef
  • CONTRIBUTING MEMBER
    • View Profile
Re: Lamb and Spinach Curry - Rick Steins
« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2009, 05:51 PM »
Hi,
I have just cooked this dish.
Not to my taste the base seemed too strong
so is it me or what!
massive amounts of garlic and ginger being used.
Any amount of this would give me indigestion.

I am going to leave it a day or two then
taste it again before i bin it.
This was given as traditional
but something tells me it aint. :'(

regards graeme.

Update...I have decided to bin it now,
something not quite right, good luck.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2009, 06:01 PM by Graeme »

Offline Secret Santa

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 16, 2009, 07:56 PM »
I'd think you may not have been using enough of the stuff especially if you were using fresh spinach as the leaf is mostly water and wilts down to practically nothing when cooked.

Yes that had crossed my mind. I know Natco and others do tinned pureed spinach (the type Popeye used to eat!) and I bet at least some BIRs use that. I have used it in the past but I may well have used too little. How much would you suggest to use per curry?

Offline CurryOnRegardless

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 17, 2009, 07:28 AM »
Hi again SS

Yes I think you are right there, tinned pureed stuff seems the way to go. When I used the jarred Mozzer stuff I used about half a 12oz (IIRC) jar per large portion of saag ghost, maybe less if doing a side of saag aloo.
My supermarket sweep at the w/e wasn't very fruitful, all I could find was very large (28 oz) cans of spinach, much to wasteful, but I did spot a bloke in a Delorean on ASDA car park!!

Regards
CoR

Offline terrrrrrrr

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 25, 2009, 05:20 PM »
We've eaten this at the Karachi and really enjoyed it. Having found the recipe online we just had to give it a go. I'm no pro chef, but was very pleasantly surprised at just how authentic it tasted. I did leave out two chillies, and still found the result to be a mouth-burner, but it still let the flavours through.

The spinach is an essential in my opinion, as a taste, as a texture, and also to add an authentic colour to it too.

Offline parky4england

• Junior Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 10, 2009, 07:19 PM »
Me and the wife have made this curry several times, but only once with spinach - just didn't appeal to us. We also only use lamb with this sauce as it helps to colour and flavour it during cooking. If there is any left over it is frozen for future use and tastes even better. Nice one Rick!

©2024 Curry Recipes