Author Topic: Beef Stroganoff  (Read 5444 times)

Offline 976bar

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
Beef Stroganoff
« on: June 09, 2009, 10:50 AM »
I've been making this dish for years and absolutely love it, so I thought I would share my recipe with you. If anyone else makes it and feels they can contribute, then please feel free to comment. I use fillet steak as I just love fillet, but you can also use either sirloin or rump too.

3 fillet steaks cut into thin strips
1 oz butter
2 tblsp olive oil
1 onion very finely chopped
3 cloves of garlic finely chopped
1 1/2 tblsps Paprika
1 knorr beef stock cube in 1/2 pint of boiling water
10 mushrooms finely sliced
a few dashes of worcestershire sauce
small pot of soured cream
salt and pepper to season

heat a pan and melt the butter, add the olive oil. Gently cook the onions until golden brown. Add the garlic and the paprika and fry gently for 2-3 minutes.

Add the stock and bring to the boil. Add the worcestershire sauce, and then simmer the liquid until it has reduced by half and is thick in consistency.

In the meantime heat a little oil in a pan and seal the strips of meat.

Add the mushrooms to the sauce and let cook for about 3-4 minutes or until the water has come out of them and has added to the sauce. If the sauce becomes too weak and watery at this stage, either remove the mushrooms and reduce the sauce again, or add some cornflour mixed with a little water, this will thicken it up again.

Add seasoning, then at the last minute add the strips of beef and cook for no more than 1-2 minutes. The meat should still be pink in the middle but sealed on the outside.

Remove the pan from the heat and add the soured cream and mix in well.

Serve on a bed of rice. :)

Offline JerryM

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
Re: Beef Stroganoff
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2009, 07:04 PM »
i've not made this for ages - stopped when there was a problem with the beef and never got back to it. i will have a nosey and look up the recipe i used.

your recipe looks very tempting.

Offline 976bar

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2009, 07:50 PM »
Thanks Jerry, I would be interested to hear of your version too. I know there is many.... :)

Offline JerryM

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2009, 08:14 AM »
976bar,

ours is from Delia.

she says classic is made with thin strips of fillet cooked and served quickly - sounds very much yours. hers is a slow cook version using chuck steak (braising) and 2hr slow cooking. wine or cider (we use cider) is used in place of your stock. no paprika or worcester sauce (both fav's of mine) but surprisingly nutmeg (i grate fresh).

only difficulty with your's would be the steak. fillet has got to be served plain or in pastry. the family is split on sirloin and rump so i guess i could almost do 2 pans. my good lady seems v.keen to make it again. i was hoping to get on a base this w/e but that's now looking less likely.

out of interest do u make steak diane.

Offline 976bar

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2009, 11:24 AM »
Hi Jerry,

Funny you should say that, yes I do lol :)

Steak Dianne.

Again I prefer Fillet Steak.

So I brown the steaks first, then remove from the pan and keep any juices from the meat.

A large knob of butter in the pan, then add 1 onion finely chopped, 2 cloves garlic finely chopped. Cook until golden brown.

Add 1/2 cup red wine (120 ml), meat juices, a few splashes of worcestershire sauce, salt and pepper. Bring to the boil and when boiling add the brandy. 1/4 cup (60 ml)and when hot ignite. Let the flames die down, then add 10 or 12 mushrooms finely sliced and cook for 3-4 minutes.

Remove the pan from the heat and add enough double cream to thicken the sauce, you don't want it too runny. Return to the heat and simmer for 2-3 minutes mixing the sauce together.

Finally, add the steaks and cook for 3-4 minutes either side or just until pink in the middle.

I ususally serve this with Saute Potatoes and a selection of veg.

Offline JerryM

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2009, 07:17 AM »
976bar,

it's the worcester sauce connection.

i cheat on the steak dianne and not use fillet - i use rump and bash it very thin to tenderise it. they only need a flash fry and out of the pan as u say.

recipe i use is essentially the same - just a few twists. i add bunch chopped parsley after the onion cooking stage together with salt and fry a little.

then it's black pepper, worcester sauce (10 secs count - i like it), brandy.

then the rest goes in. only difference is i add a tin of toms sieved to remove the seeds.

it's probably my fav recipe. i serve with chips and carrot and asparagus. the carrot v.slow steamed in a little butter and 1 tbsp of water - lovely.

back to the stroganoff - well sold and going to try it this w/e. many thanks

Offline George

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2009, 09:44 AM »
only difficulty with your's would be the steak. fillet has got to be served plain or in pastry.

Who says that fillet "has got to be served plain or in pastry" ???!!!

My understanding is that Beef Stroganoff was developed as a 'top end' dish. Fillet is the most expensive and best quality beef. It's standard for this dish and should almost certainly be used. I'll certainly be trying 976bar's recipe (many thanks) because it looks like a variation which could be even better than the recipe I've been using for about 20 years.

I once used beef fillet as mince to make ragu for lasagne. Expensive but nice!

Offline JerryM

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2009, 08:13 AM »
976bar,

have attached pic for info. best strog i've made without doubt.

the method is very much familiar to me so i was at ease.

when i came to put the 1.5 tbsp of paprika in i was bit concerned but spot on.

i always leave the mushroom's in and just evap off if there is too much water.

i used 10 secs pour of the worcester sauce and felt this added that little bit of bite for me.

i'm not sure on the need for both butter and olive oil - i would drop one as i felt with the cream it's a tad too rich. i'd also cook the steak in the same pan either upfront or after the onions depending on thk (cooking time). i'm tempted to add another onion out of pure greed to make the sauce go further.

i would also say for anyone thinking of making it's not for the kids (they had steak & chips off the bbq). the recipe made 2 nice portions.

many thanks 976bar - another recipe added back onto my fav's list.

Offline 976bar

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2009, 03:18 PM »
Yep that looks like how I make it too. Its a wonderful dish, and as Paprika is not hot like chilli, you can use it in copious amounts, which does give it some heat and flavour, but more so gives the dish a lovely reddish colour too.....

Happy Cooking :)

Offline qprbob

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2009, 01:31 PM »
I was looking for something different for the weekend and I'm having a crack at your Beef Stroganoff. I've not eaten it for years, let alone make it. It sounds absolutly delicious and JeeryM's photo looks great.
You also have one for the future and that is your Steak Dianne. keep on posting these fantastic recipes.

cheers Bob

©2024 Curry Recipes