Author Topic: How do I cook a BIR curry?  (Read 2795 times)

Offline Garnett

• Chef
    • View Profile
How do I cook a BIR curry?
« on: June 12, 2009, 07:51 AM »
I'm new here, and found the welcoming message I got when I joined very helpful. I still struggled to understand certain bits and pieces so I thought I'd post a synopsis of the general info I found which might help other newcomers. Please let me know if I've got anything wrong.

BIR (British Indian Restaurant) Curry

BIR curry differs from traditional Indian cuisine in some marked ways. A lot of the dishes are far removed from their traditional origins. For many people the BIR curry is exactly what they want to duplicate.

The standard BIR cooking method is pretty formulaic and somewhat different to other curry cooking methods. Reasons for this are largely to appeal to a British audience and to speed up the cooking process. In particular, the BIR method allows a restaurant to bring forward and standardise almost all of the work for any curry so that any curry can be made from one base sauce, one spice mix, and precooked meat with minimal final specific cooking to produce each different curry type.

1) Prepare a base sauce (also known as a gravy)

This is quite fundamental. BIRs predominantly have their own recipe for a base sauce which they then base all their curries on. There is often an element of secrecy about a restaurant's base sauce and spice mix (below). As a result, perfection of base sauce recipes form a large part recreating BIR curry at home. Once made this base can be frozen so it's worth making in batches.

Classic Example: Curry King's Classic Base Sauce

2) Make a spice mix.

This is a standard blend of spices to add to your curry. Garam Massala (from Urdu, garam, "hot" and masala "paste") is an example of a spice blend, and can be used instead of making your own, although general consensus is that a homemade blend is preferable. This can be stored like any other spice mix.

Classic Example: Bruce Edwards Spice Mix, posted by Curry King

3) Precook your meat

With the exception of meat cooked Tandoori style, generally this means boiling it in spices.  This can done days in advance then be refrigerated. This helps BIRs produce their curries in minutes "on the night".

Classic Example: Uncle Buck's BASE CHICKEN

4) Finish the curry

The final preparation which has to be carried out just prior to serving, and which turns the generic parts above into any final curry, be that vindaloo, madras, bhuna etc.

Classic Example: Bruce Edward's Madras Recipe (from Lorrydo)

Does that seem about right?
« Last Edit: October 04, 2009, 10:42 AM by Cory Ander »

Offline JerryM

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
Re: How to cook a BIR curry
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2009, 08:24 AM »
Garnett,

wow. u're going to be a top notch member for sure.

excellent synopsis for me.

i feel i'm almost sorted myself needing only to refine a few additional recipes to those i make regularly. obviously i still have much to learn and a want to learn more.

Spice Mix - this i feel i still have much to learn. yes in general used to make many but i'm convinced there's more too it. i'd say ok make u're own except for curry powder, garam and tandoori masala's which are best branded.

Base Method - there seems to be many methods so don't just rely on what u've listed - try a few others perhaps. i stick everything in on one go for example.

Finish the curry Method - again much variation here. i would add garlic/ginger paste for sure.

There are obviously little areas that cause me to twitch but recognising it's a synopsis then i'd say it pretty much sum's things up.

I'd also say that there is very little that we need to know that's not already posted. i think spice, recipe refinement and technique are the main areas where step improvement could be gained.

Don't forget the search button on the forum - i find it invaluable but i do like trawling through for as long as it takes to find nuggets.

very best wishes

Offline Garnett

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2009, 10:02 AM »
Thanks a lot Jerry.

You're right about trying different methods and recipes. What I have been struggling with is the vast amount of info on here. I thought a quick summary with examples would be helpful (and any replies would help me correct any of my mistaken assumptions).

In hindsight I think I should have just left the titles of my examples as links and not pasted the whole recipes. My emphasis should have been on giving an overview of the process, which is what I found hard to grasp initially.

Offline Unclebuck

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2009, 04:09 PM »
Great post Garnett im sure peeps will find it very useful  :)

Offline Cory Ander

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2009, 03:24 AM »
You might also want to check here for a "road map" of the forum:

http://www.curry-recipes.co.uk/curry/index.php?topic=1848.0

Offline JerryM

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2009, 07:13 AM »
Garnett,

the overview is spot on - don't worry.

there is a vast amount of info for sure. most of the info will get u to a reasonable standard pretty quickly - in fact u'll be amazed how good the curries turn out.

after that u've just got to pick off each area for improvement one step at a time - the subject's vast but part of the attraction for me.

part of the difficulty for me was trying to keep it in context and also target what my taste buds were after as opposed to that of someone else. the difference in what members like ie their taste buds is massive and far greater than what i would expect given the BIR's i've frequented which are not that different in what they produce - yes some good, a few v.good and a fair amount not that brill.

as an example on context - i could not believe the insistence that base has to match dish. this i now understand and it is possible to mix as long as u match as well. for example if the base has no tomato then the u need more tom puree at cooking stage. same goes for spice etc.

the real good news as u'll soon appreciate is that members are always on call to point u in the right direction.

Offline marybakers

• Chef
    • View Profile
Re: How do I cook a BIR curry?
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2009, 07:32 PM »
i am looking for all the ingredients for a chicken bhuna,how much goes in etc etc,i have just made one there for the first time,its tasteless but the colour is there.i made everything from scratch,the base,the spice mix and also the curry powder.so why hasnt it turned out like the local indian takeaways,i just ate it anyway and wish i hadnt added the chilli powder,feeling hot,hot,hot now.lol
« Last Edit: October 09, 2009, 09:06 PM by marybakers »

Offline PaulP

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
Re: How do I cook a BIR curry?
« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2009, 09:25 PM »
Hi MB,

It would be helpful if you could tell us what base and bhuna recipes you have used.
For example I have tried this base:

http://www.curry-recipes.co.uk/curry/index.php?topic=2757.0

with this bhuna recipe:

http://www.curry-recipes.co.uk/curry/index.php?topic=1914.0

..and got pretty good results. If you do it right I don't think you will cook something bland. If anything my curries lately are getting overspiced probably because I am upto 1 tablespoon spice mix and then some chilli (and probably too much garlic!) for a largish single person curry. Probably 1 or 2 teaspoons is closer to what you need.

Mix powder, spice mix and even curry powder refer to the "curry powder" you will be using for your cooking. In the bhuna recipe above, for example, there is no specific spice mix, just corriander, cumin, chilli and dried methi. Other recipes may specify a certain spice mix or just list the ingredients used for that dish.

You will soon learn how much chilli to add through experience.

Give us a bit more info and I'm sure we can help more.

PaulP

©2024 Curry Recipes