Author Topic: Looking at Wok's...  (Read 5290 times)

Offline TyeNoodle

• Senior Chef
    • View Profile
Re: Looking at Wok's...
« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2009, 01:12 PM »
So something like this?

What do the restaurants use?

Thanks!
Paul

Offline CurryOnRegardless

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 17, 2009, 05:56 PM »
Hi Paul

That will need constant re-seasoning and could be a sod to clean, very high maintenance and difficult to master IMHO. If you want to go the 'slow boat' way it's much easier to get a non-stick cast iron pan which will hold heat in better then a light weight ali one, but a decent one will set you back at least 30 quid. Ali pans are better suited to the hi-speed 'flame & fireworks' style of cooking, favoured by many of the members here, as they heat up and just as importantly cool down quicker, they are also considerably cheaper which I suggest is the main reason that BIRs use them. Basically you need a pan to suit your style of cooking and I would suggest starting off with the BE preferred 'slo'mo' style, far easier to master, but I reckon there will be plenty who would disagree.

HTH Regards
CoR
 8) 8) 8)

Offline JerryM

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 17, 2009, 06:52 PM »
So something like this?

What do the restaurants use?

Thanks!
Paul

don't go for the cast iron - wrong tool for the job. i have a large cast iron similar which i do use but not for curry (i used it for the Stroganoff for example).

the restaurants use aluminium.

ps i'd really try and find a local asian store and get one from their.

Offline TyeNoodle

• Senior Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 18, 2009, 07:54 AM »

ps i'd really try and find a local asian store and get one from their.

Ok.. so a trip to manchester it is  :o nothing round here really!!

I do the lots of heat fast style cooking, I like flames  ;D

Thanks!
Paul

Offline JerryM

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 18, 2009, 08:09 AM »
if u can get to manchester then ideal. make for rusholme and longsight. both are very good both on hardware and spices. i also go to bolton.

Offline CurryOnRegardless

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 18, 2009, 07:19 PM »
Just don't end up in Longsight after dark....
 :o :o

CoR

Offline chilli head

• Senior Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 18, 2009, 09:04 PM »
Hi,
 In Dudley near where i live there is an Indian supermarket selling the steel high sided pans used in the trade for ?7 they are a little rusty on the bottom or around the side but are still a good buy, I have 7-8 woks that i used before i got a Ali frying pan from the same shop for ?8 they all have that long handle and can heat up and cool down fast,The problem with a wok for Indian cooking is that the liquid will not reduce as fast because there is not enough serface in contact with the heat that's the only deference between the two.
               Andy

Offline TyeNoodle

• Senior Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 18, 2009, 11:14 PM »
Hi,
 In Dudley near where i live there is an Indian supermarket selling the steel high sided pans used in the trade for ?7 they are a little rusty on the bottom or around the side but are still a good buy, I have 7-8 woks that i used before i got a Ali frying pan from the same shop for ?8 they all have that long handle and can heat up and cool down fast,The problem with a wok for Indian cooking is that the liquid will not reduce as fast because there is not enough serface in contact with the heat that's the only deference between the two.
               Andy

Thanks for that explanation Andy. I'm an engineer so need things explaining s-l-o-w-l-y and often again and again until it sinks in. I'll probably be asking again in the next few months!

Anyway, yes pans. I'll have to do a trip to see my cuz, he lives in halifax home of the many corner asian shops where I pick spices up from usually.

Feeling optimistic again now, want to cook a curry shame I'm away this weekend :(

©2024 Curry Recipes