Author Topic: Asafoedita - Who's using it  (Read 11989 times)

Offline JerryM

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
Asafoedita - Who's using it
« on: June 21, 2009, 11:26 AM »
just on an aside it's amazing what post's u can miss on the site. i came across this post by CA for the 1st time today which goes a long way to sorting one of my wish list questions http://www.curry-recipes.co.uk/curry/index.php?topic=1392.10

back to the post.

in searching the site i've often come across asafoedita. i've never registered it as important though and consequently never tried it.

one recent trawlling suggested i should at least gauge opinion at my local asian stores (how much they sell as most that i meet don't cook and have little interest in cooking).

i hope i struck lucky on my last visit. the shop assistant advised that he had no demand for it and did not stock (read no money in it). i think the other chappy was a visitor. once he'd read the words having failed to recognise my poor pronunciation he instantly switched on. in short he said it was a must have.

i intend to get some this week.

in the meantime i'd appreciate knowing who uses it or has used it and what they think.

i'm thinking a pinch in the dish at cooking stage (see last post in link above).

Offline Cory Ander

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
Re: Asafoedita - Who's using it
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2009, 11:48 AM »
As far as I'm aware, asafoetida (hing) is used more so in in traditional Indian cooking, in vegetable dishes (to combat flatulence I understand).

It stinks to high heaven when raw.

A pinch (not teaspoons, like I've seen some people state) is add to the hot oil, at the commencement of cooking, whereupon it takes on a sweetish flavour.  It gives a distinctive smell and taste which I personally do not associate as being typically BIR. But it's quite nice.  I rarely use it (vegetable dishes or not).  Pardon me  :P

Offline SnS

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2009, 02:11 PM »
Its also used as a substitute for onion, especially in parts of India where eating onions is against their religion ... apparently  :-\

Offline Secret Santa

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2009, 04:17 PM »
If you are going to use asafoetida make sure you get a good brand or it will definitely disappoint. Barts spices (Tesco) do a little jar with three smaller tubs of hing in it. It's expensive for what it is but, this is by far the best of the powdered versions I have tried. Also, as CA points out, it MUST be added to hot oil to bring out its flavour.

If you really want the full effect you have to use the unadulterated brown-resin variety. I've only ever seen this sold in indian grocers.

I tend to use it in vindaloo to try to differentiate it from madras because it adds an extra onion/garlic flavour, and a vindaloo should be garlicy.

Offline JerryM

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2009, 07:00 AM »
many thanks all.

i have an opportunity tonight to look for some and feel at least it will put my mind at rest. i too understand (from the chappy) that it is a very small amount "pinch" that needs to be used.

given what CA says on the BIR front i'm much less enthusiastic and if the cost's high it will put me off for sure.

Offline CurryOnRegardless

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2009, 11:21 AM »
Hi JeeryM

If your 'chappy' has it ask him for 'brown powder' rather than the stuff that comes in the yellow plastic tubs. The yellow stuff is adulterated with rice flour and other things and has hardly any hing in it, so if you add it to hot oil it just burns, this stuff is best added after the base has gone in IMO.
The 'brown powder' is the real deal and can be added to oil but I can't get it anymore and local shopkeepers clam up if I ask for it which makes me wonder if it went the same way as Bombay Duck and ended up on some list of banned substances, if you ever get to smell it you'll understand why that could well be the case!
:o :o

Regards
CoR

PS. Well, well, look what google has come up with:-

http://www.theasiancookshop.co.uk/asafoetida-hing-whole-200g-2228-p.asp

compare the ingredient list above with below

http://www.theasiancookshop.co.uk/asafoetida-hing-powder--heeng-1755-p.asp

pity about the p&p.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2009, 12:13 PM by CurryOnRegardless »

Offline JerryM

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2009, 06:05 PM »
CoR,

many thanks for the extra info - will keep u posted. he said to put it in after the base (well right at the end of cooking were his words). maybe it's as u say because only the yellow is available.

i'll soon know.

Offline Cory Ander

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2009, 05:16 AM »
he said to put it in after the base (well right at the end of cooking were his words). maybe it's as u say because only the yellow is available.

I think you've been given bum advice, Jerry.  Fry it in hot oil first, compounded or not.

Offline JerryM

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2009, 07:05 AM »
many thanks CA - i will fry in oil at the garlic stage.

both the resin and the compounded were available.

the shop assistants both offerred the compounded 1st (i asked a 2nd time to be sure that, "Black Hing Whole" was indeed the brown variety). having looked at it this morning it is sort of brown / black in colour and i think in resin block form - it sort of resembles hard toffee. i think i will have to grate it to get a "pinch" off.

the smell in the packet is nothing much so i guess it changes when cooked in the oil.

have attached pic for info.

Offline Secret Santa

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2009, 06:39 PM »
Yes, that's the good stuff Jerry. You shouldn't have to grate it, just cut a little pea size piece off with a knife. This stuff has to go in at the oil frying stage to dissolve the resin.

I'm interested to see what you think of its effect.

©2024 Curry Recipes