Author Topic: Chicken Saag - spinach and chicken curry  (Read 36476 times)

Offline Secret Santa

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
Chicken Saag - spinach and chicken curry
« on: June 25, 2009, 07:55 PM »
I've never had this in a BIR (!) but I enjoyed it, so if anyone tries it feedback would be welcome.

4 TBSP   oil (at least)
1 TBSP   G/G paste
1/2 tsp  asafoetida
quarter  onion sliced medium fine
2 tsp    tomato puree (watered down with 1TBSP water)
1 TBSP   methi
3 tsp    spice mix (Bruce Edward's, 8 coriander : 7 turmeric : 5 cumin : 4 curry powder)
1/2 tsp  garam masala
1 tsp    chilli powder
200g     pureed spinach
50g      chopped spinach
1/2      chicken stock cube
1/2 tsp  salt  (or to taste)
2 tsp    sugar (or to taste)
4 TBSP   evaporated milk or single cream
25g      butter
1        portion of pre-cooked chicken
enough pre heated base sauce for 1 portion + half as much more water (or as required, use your judgement)
1 TBSP   coriander leaf

Heat oil on high heat, add G/G paste and stir occasionally.
before the G/G paste browns add onion slices and cook on until G/g paste is done.
add asafoetida and stir for a few seconds.
add spices, methi, salt and sugar, and cook on until you get the toffee smell, then quickly add the tomato puree and stir for a few seconds until it thickens again.
Add a ladle of base and cook this down, stirring all the time, until it thickens.
Add the remainder of the base, the two types of spinach, the stock cube, and the pre cooked chicken. There should be a lot of liquid at this point because you want to boil this down on highish heat to concentrate the flavour.
When the sauce is nearly reduced to a single portion add the cream and coriander leaf and continue to cook at a slightly lower heat until you have it down to a single portion.
Turn the heat off and add the butter. Stir around until the butter is just incorporated into the sauce.
Serve sprinkled with roughly chopped coriander leaf.

I don't believe any of the ingredients (except perhaps the cream) are optional. I researched the authentic saag recipes and then made it BIR style.

Offline nestochi

• Chef
    • View Profile
Re: Chicken Saag - spinach and chicken curry
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2010, 12:19 PM »
thanks for the recipe.

i've been looking for this long time.
saag lamb/chicken is my all time favourite. i will give it a go as soon as i make another batch of curry sauce.

best regards.

Offline Secret Santa

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2010, 02:17 PM »
Hi nestochi,

I enjoyed it but I've never actually had one in a BIR so it will be interesting to hear what you think!

Offline Gezh

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2010, 07:24 PM »
I'm going to try this tomorrow too, it's one I've been looking out for... and I've just got hold of some fresh spinach from the allotment!

Yeah I know, I should be using pureed spinach from a can... but hey!

Edit... won't be using any asafoetida though... have no idea what it is or where to get it!

Offline Curry Barking Mad

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2010, 07:42 PM »
I'm going to try this tomorrow too, it's one I've been looking out for... and I've just got hold of some fresh spinach from the allotment!

Yeah I know, I should be using pureed spinach from a can... but hey!

Use the fresh if you have it by all means but I find tinned spinach repulsive, frozen is pretty good, it's definitely what my local restaurant uses,
Mick

Offline George

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2010, 08:11 AM »
My favourite dish of this type is the one sometimes sold by Morrisons supermarket - chilled food. It's delicious and includes cream in the ingredients. I've never tried it at a BIR.

Offline Gezh

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2010, 09:16 AM »
It's funny as I would include 'Saag' as one of the standard BIR dishes, up there with madras, bhuna, etc. You can guarantee that if I go out with either my or my partners family, at least one person will order a Saag. It's common to have a few bits of fresh green chilli, and slithers of garlic, floating around in it.

Judging by the small amount of saag recipes here, I guess that's not the case for most of you.

Offline Secret Santa

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2010, 10:01 AM »
Judging by the small amount of saag recipes here, I guess that's not the case for most of you.

That's certainly the case for me gezh. When I've had a curry with friends no one ever orders the saag dishes, probably because spinach seems so bland. I enjoyed this one that I made but I wouldn't say it was anything special - although that may just be down to my interpretation of it as I've never had one in a BIR!

Offline Secret Santa

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2010, 10:05 AM »
Edit... won't be using any asafoetida though... have no idea what it is or where to get it!

I don't think it will ruin it to leave it out Gezh, it just adds adds a more oniony/garlicky flavour to the dish.

If you want to try it you can get it from the spice section of most supermarkets now. It usually comes as a bright yellow powder because it's adulterated with turmeric.

If you have a local asian store they will definitely have some, but you should ask for hing.

Offline Secret Santa

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2010, 10:08 AM »
It's delicious and includes cream in the ingredients.

Cream was certainly in a lot of the 'authentic' recipes when I researched them George and I would imagine it would add a nice smoothness to the sauce.

©2024 Curry Recipes