Author Topic: Your thoughts .  (Read 16523 times)

Offline emin-j

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
Your thoughts .
« on: July 05, 2009, 12:44 PM »
Hi All,
      Made my Saturday night Madras last night following the same recipe I had from the T/A Chef as in my previous posts.Last nights Curry was the second Madras I have made using the recipe ,the first ( last week )was delicious  :)This weeks was not quite as good and the only change from the original recipe was 1 extra teaspoon of Chili.The Curry tasted too rich which made it a little sickly tasting ( still eat it tho  ;D )A couple of points perhaps you might like to comment on -

1, I think I may have cooked the Curry for too long ,perhaps this is what caused the 'over rich 'taste ?

2, I use a Wok for my Curries but the Chef at the T/A used what looked like an Omelette pan  :o and he had no spitting and popping like I get ( my Hob and surrounding area looks like a Curry Bomb has exploded  ::) )The Chef had no 'flames' whilst cooking as has been mentioned on the Forum and it seemed a very relaxed ,clean ,and quick method of cooking.My Question is - It seems that ' Hotter the better ' cooking temperature is the way to go , but I'm not so sure  :-\ Your thoughts please.

Offline JerryM

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
Re: Your thoughts .
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2009, 07:38 PM »
emin-j,

real good question and it will be real interesting to get members views.

on No 1 - i've read in number of posts that members struggle(d) on consistency and would have to say i was a tad sceptic. i now know in experiencing it myself that u can get quite a range of product whilst believing yourself that u've done everything exactly the same.

i don't know what the answer is i'm afraid - only i think simply down to experience and practise. i say this as the range on my curries are gradually closing. my only thought is that with practise/experience u can start to spot early when things are starting to go wrong and make changes. for example the thinness of the base despite calculation and best diligence does have variation and this for me has a big effect on the output.

on the over rich taste - it could be down to over cooking if the sauce "condensed/evaped off" too much. i've also found the amount of tom puree has quite an effect.

on No 2 - there is both "slow boat" and "hot" ways of cooking curry. at my local TA the resident chef uses the hot approach and u can tell before entering the shop that he's in residence. the stand in chef uses the slow boat. it took me by surprise that there's not that much difference in the taste. the hot method just has the edge for me but the slow boat would do the same for probably an equal number of people ie it's just down to what you're used to.

i do feel the "omelette" pan is better than a wok - certainly for the hot method but probably not that critical for the slowboat. i have both but only use the wok for CTM (so i can make a few portions at a time).

Offline emin-j

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2009, 10:00 PM »
Thank's JerryM ,your replies are allways helpfull and interesting   ;)
Compared to how quick the T/A Chef cooked my Curry I had my Curry in the Wok for too long ,I think your spot on when you said the Curry had condensed and I was left with an 'over rich ' tasting Curry.
I did read that a Wok was the best pan to use for a Curry but I might try just a frying pan next time  :-\ Asda have a nice stainless pan for ?9 - ?10  :-\

PS I find the Wok gets very hot at the centre of the base and it is easy to burn the Garlic at the start of cooking.

Offline JerryM

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2009, 07:36 AM »
emin-j,

for info on "hot" cooking i'm done in 5 mins max of which 3 mins is the evap off (the base is thinned with water). on the slow boat i'd say 7 mins max. the difference being the base doesn't need to be thinned and the spice cooking "emulsification" for me is then around 3 mins c/w 1 min at hot (i don't stir during this part). i generally tend to find it's time to stop cooking when the surface starts to crater with steam pin holes. i've also started to cook the garlic as the oil heats up aiming to undercook as it cooks/frys again when the tom puree and spice is added.

i'm not sure on the st st pan (i don't think their that good on heat transfer). perhaps  try any of your existing pans first. mines cast steel but BIR's tend to use ali.

Offline qprbob

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2009, 10:14 AM »
emin-j

Most curries that I cook, are cooked in less than 10 mins and that is a on a baulk standard gas hob.
I use a spun steele wok that I have seasoned over time with use. Mine is 270mm, just over 10 and half inches in old money. It is suitable for one person curries, possibly two at a push.

Offline SnS

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2009, 04:56 PM »
Hi emin-j

The trouble with chilli powder is that it tends to thicken the curry, so the more you like it hot the more chile powder is added. This is not good if added at the frying stage along with other spices, as the curry becomes too thick too soon.

Can I suggest you try one (or all) of the following:-

1) Add the chilli powder towards the end of the cooking time - not at the frying stage. Chilli powder and paprika do not require the same degree of frying or heat that other spice powders (cumin, turmeric, etc) need to release their full flavours ...
2) Use a hotter chile powder - therefore less of it.
3) Substitute the required 'extra' chilli powder for real chilies (chopped or whole) added at the frying stage.

Regards
SnS  ;D

Offline emin-j

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2009, 08:12 PM »
Thanks Guys ,
            JerryM . I think I'll try the missus frying pan for the next Curry  :)I know what you mean about the Garlic ,I put the Garlic into the oil just as the oil started to ' shimmer ? 'and it almost shot out of the Wok  :o I guess that was too hot.So I started again and as you placed the Garlic into the oil within seconds of the Wok going on the hob.Going back to the T/A Chef his gas ring was about 8" diameter but not fierce and he didn't have any of the popping and mess that I make  ;D

qprbob . I think my Wok is the same as yours ,a spun steel but 12" dia ,they sure do get hot !

SnS. Point noted about the Chili Powder ,I'll try putting it in later rather than with the other spices .         

Offline JerryM

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2009, 08:29 AM »
Going back to the T/A Chef his gas ring was about 8" diameter but not fierce and he didn't have any of the popping and mess that I make           

this was something that i came across recently at my fav TA. the main chef does what i call hot cooking "popping and mess" (which i've felt best suits my taste). they have a stand in chef who cook's completely different "slow boat" the flames are very lazy and no mess. the dishes in taste are surprisingly similar albeit u can tell the difference in methods (and the smell in the shop and street).

for me in switching between the methods i have to make the base much thinner (add water) for the hot cooking.

what i'm getting at is the thinness of the base is surprisingly critical to suit both method and ingredients.

on the garlic i find it cooks while the pan's off the heat and i'm adding the tom puree, spice etc and this needs to be factored in - hence why i add before the oil heats up.

Offline qprbob

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2009, 09:13 AM »
emin-j

Yes the spun steele woks, they get very hot and hold their heat reasonably well. As JerryM pointed out, I put my garlic/ginger in the oil and cook  as the oil heats up. You know full well that Garlic can go from being just golden, to burnt in a blink of an eye.

Offline emin-j

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2009, 09:34 PM »
Hi JerryM ,
          I did notice that the base the Chef used at the T/A was thinner than the one I make and It was effortless for him ( practice makes perfect eh !)I also tasted his base ( he did looked surprised when I pulled a teaspoon out of my pocket  ;D )
It was a yellowy colour where my base is more orangey and I could taste Onions and Coriander and that was it ,quite bland really  ???

©2024 Curry Recipes