Author Topic: CWG's Onion Bhaji Recipe v1.0  (Read 24595 times)

Offline chriswg

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
CWG's Onion Bhaji Recipe v1.0
« on: July 07, 2009, 12:40 PM »
Onion Bhaji Recipe v1.0

As promised, below is my recipe for Onion Bhajis. After about 12 failed attempts resulting in supermarket quality Bhajis, I almost gave up. I?m sure everyone here at some stage will have made burnt spicy raw onion cakes. After lots of trial and error I came up with the recipe and method below. To my surprise (and joy) my wife (and biggest critic) now prefers these to the ones from the takeaway. We even did a head to head test and these came out on top!

They freeze really well so make a big batch and just defrost and reheat (Follow Step 10).

Ingredients (Makes 8 ? 10 Bhajis)

2 Large Onions
1 Tsp Salt
1 Tsp Chilli Powder (Mild or Hot depending on preference)
1 Tsp Asafoetida
1 Tsp Paprika
1 Tbsp Garam Masala
1 Tbsp Cumin Seeds
1 Tbsp Fennel Seeds
1 Tbsp Black Onion Seeds
1 Tbsp Dried Fenugreek (Methi) Leaves
1 Tbsp Fresh Coriander
1 Tbsp Lemon Juice (fresh or bottled)
Fresh Chillis (optional depending on taste)
Gram Flour

Method

1.   Slice the onions pole to pole very finely and put to one side.
2.   In a large mixing bowl add everything else including 1 cup of gram flour (sifted if you have time).
3.   Add very small amounts of water at a time and mix until you have a very very thick batter.
4.   Add the onions and mix well so all the onions are covered.
5.   Place the bowl in the fridge for 30 minutes. This will draw a lot of moisture out of the onions making the batter a bit thinner. You still want it sticky rather than runny.
6.   Beat the mixture with a wooden spoon to get everything mixed together really well. If the mix is a bit too runny, just add in small amount of gram flour until it is just sticky again.
7.   Now for the most important bit, preheat your oil in a medium sized saucepan to around 140 degrees (any hotter and the mix cooks too quickly on the outside and the onion will have a raw taste).
8.   Drop in 2 balls (slightly bigger than golf balls) of mixture at a time and reduce the hob to low. You need to maintain a temperature of around 130 degrees (it will drop by at least 10 degrees when you put the bhajis in). Any lower than 125 degrees and the will go greasy and break up, and higher than 140 and they cook too quickly.
9.   Turn them every couple of minutes until they start to go golden brown (after about 6 ? 8 minutes). I like to then remove them from the pan and put 2 more in. While they cool I use the back of a large spoon to squash them into 1 inch thick disks.
10.   You can then either freeze them like this or cook them for another 3 ? 4 minutes if you are eating them immediately. For the second cook through the oil still needs to remain at around 130 degrees. They will be very crispy and cooked all the way through.
11.   Once cooked put them onto a piece of kitchen roll and fold it over so you can squeeze a bit of the fat from them before serving.
12.   Very important tip ? Save the oil in a bottle to use next time. Once you have made these 2 or 3 times, the oil will smell amazing and the bhajis will taste even better. Wait until it is completely cool then pour it into the bottle. When you next use it, if you have a few floaters in the oil, just pass it through a sieve when you pour it into the saucepan.

I hope you all enjoy these as much as my wife and I do. Any hints or advice to make them even better are always welcome. I know some people like to put yoghurt, mint or eggs into theirs but personally I didn?t like the flavours or textures they produce.

I think once you have the cooking method sorted most of the spices can be changed around depending on taste. I love the aniseed flavour from the fennel seeds so I usually add an extra tablespoon of those in.

Offline qprbob

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
Re: CWG's Onion Bhaji Recipe v1.0
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2009, 02:13 PM »
Hi Chriswg

Welcome to this excellent forum.
I have just run out of my last batch of Bhaji's and in need to make some more. Up until now , I have made Chilli Prawns[url]http://www.curry-recipes.co.uk/curry/index.php?topic=1334.0/url]which are very good. I'm going to give yours a go, and will let you know how I get on with them.

Offline joshallen2k

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2009, 06:10 AM »
Wow.

6 TBSP of spices and a tsp of asafoetida.

I can't help but think that would completely overpower two onions.

I am dying for a great bhaji recipe (dipping sauce too) but this seems a little overbearing.

Anyone tried this?

Offline Cory Ander

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2009, 10:43 AM »
It does sounds like a lot of spices for so few onions. 

Probably a pretty good method of producing spiced oil though!  :P

Offline chriswg

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2009, 03:02 PM »
I have just weighed what I class as a large onion and it is about 300g (I use the really big ones that usually come in nets of 3 at most UK supermarkets). Regarding the spices, try it and let me know. This is only v1.0 of the recipe based on me trying to remember what I put in last time I made them! I'm sure with a bit of help and feedback this will be a perfect recipe by version 1.5. Try is as it stands and let me know your thoughts. I'm going to make another batch soon and I will post some photos.

Offline chriswg

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2009, 03:04 PM »
I just realized there should be a teaspoon of Turmeric in there too. Its very important to give it the yellow colour.

Offline qprbob

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2009, 09:06 PM »
More spice  ;D

Offline chriswg

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2009, 09:31 AM »
I agree it looks like a lot of but the proof is in the tasting. My earlier attempts all tasted so bland. I'm looking forward to hearing some constructive criticism once you have all tried them.

Offline rubberdingy

• Junior Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2009, 01:18 PM »
WOW!! This is by far the best recipe I have tried. Having over 4 years experience of trying different recipes, this is as close to a restaurant quality bhaji I have experienced. Possibly even better! Not over spiced at all so no need for concern. Nice strong, deep flavour and great texture/consistency. I would highly recommend to anyone. I will be making another batch tomorrow!

Tell me.....

Offline Roti

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2009, 01:31 PM »
lol rubberdingy.  It appears that you joined this forum at 1.09pm today, tried this recipe, made this one post, and all by 1.18pm.  Quite an amazing feat lol You must certainly know your onions lol!

©2024 Curry Recipes