Author Topic: CWG's Onion Bhaji Recipe v1.0  (Read 24362 times)

Offline chriswg

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
Re: CWG's Onion Bhaji Recipe v1.0
« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2009, 01:35 PM »
I cooked a batch of these for rubberdinghy a couple of weeks ago before joining this forum. He was genuinely blown away, especially given our earlier attempts and little ghee accident!

Offline joshallen2k

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 09, 2009, 02:05 PM »
And it just so happens that he now joins the forum to talk about them.

Busted.

I will wait for someone else to chime in on this recipe before trying. I've never seen more than a pinch of asafoetida described in a recipe, no matter how huge the onions were.

Offline chriswg

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 09, 2009, 03:21 PM »
What do you mean 'busted'? I used to work with him and I emailed him today to tell him how good the site is. Admittedly it looks like a blatant plug, but apart from my wife and 2 kids, he is the only person that has tried them. He is coming over next weekend and we are going to attempt on of the Madras recipes. I cant wait!

Offline JerryM

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 09, 2009, 06:09 PM »
there's enough in this recipe to tempt me to give it a go this weekend.

i'll have to leave the asafoetida and methi out (don't like them one bit) so it won't be an exact spec view.

i've had 976bar's mint sauce on my todo list for a while which i'll try out too http://www.curry-recipes.co.uk/curry/index.php?topic=2686.0

Offline Secret Santa

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 09, 2009, 10:29 PM »
Hi chriswg.

Well I just tried these and...disappointed really. Unlike the others I didn't think that the spicing was too much from reading the recipe, so I made it exactly as stated. The flavour was, if anything, understated and certainly not anything like any bhaji I've had from a restaurant.

I have to say the spice mix is a little weird to me, having neither coriander or cumin in it and relying almost totally on garam masala. The problem is that garam masala covers a very wide range of spice blends. And the lemon juice...why?

BTW, I don't understand vague measures like 'cups' and 'large' (as in onions), proper weights would have been nice.

So it was a miss for me but I'd love some feedback from others to see if they agree or not.

Offline Secret Santa

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 09, 2009, 10:37 PM »
i'll have to leave the asafoetida and methi out (don't like them one bit) so it won't be an exact spec view.

But then it wouldn't be his recipe and any comments you might make, good or bad, would be unrepresentative. Also, both those ingredients have a different effect in a bhaji compared to using them in a curry. I really think you should really try it exactly as spec on the first go.

Offline qprbob

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 10, 2009, 01:55 AM »
Secret Santa

Not tried these yet, but will do at some point. Hope I will not be as disappointed as you, but we all have different tastes.
As for large, yes rather vague. A cup, is an international measure. As to what the weight  equivalent is, I do not know. I'm sure someone on this forum would be able to put us all right on that matter.

Offline JerryM

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 10, 2009, 07:46 AM »
I really think you should really try it exactly as spec on the first go.

Secret Santa,

How did the 1 tsp of hing come through - did it overpower and chuck the recipe out of balance - given that i used a "pinch" in the test curry i made recently and did not like it - the 1 tsp seems too high.

the observation on the garam is v.important. there is such a wide variation between home made and bought and probably between brands. i will use my trusted East End.

i'll try the recipe as spec (but make a smaller amount than planned and make another batch without the hing and methi).

chriswg,

my hing/asafoetida packet is only 50g, perhaps you are using the yellow hing not the black/brown concentrated stuff?

Offline Cory Ander

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 10, 2009, 07:48 AM »
A cup, is an international measure. As to what the weight  equivalent is, I do not know. I'm sure someone on this forum would be able to put us all right on that matter.

A "cup" is a liquid measure (not a weight measure) and equals 8 fluid ounces (about 250ml)...unless you're in America or Canada of course  :P

I "cup" of gram flour (besan) weighs about 100g
« Last Edit: July 10, 2009, 07:59 AM by Cory Ander »

Offline Cory Ander

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 10, 2009, 07:54 AM »
please remove

©2024 Curry Recipes