Author Topic: CWG's Onion Bhaji Recipe v1.0  (Read 24631 times)

Offline Secret Santa

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
Re: CWG's Onion Bhaji Recipe v1.0
« Reply #30 on: July 10, 2009, 07:40 PM »
Now use the dark oil in your base instead of your measured amount of new /fresh veg oil,
this goes a long way to getting the taste in your curries that I am aiming for,
Bob

Hmmm, I sort of agree and disagree. The use of the bhaji cooking oil is essential in my opinion, however, I think if it is used it should go in at the curry cooking stage and  not in the base. If it goes into the base it seems to lose its efficacy.

Offline Secret Santa

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 10, 2009, 07:48 PM »
I totally agree. I'm almost always either burning the outside, or having that oil soaked onion cake centre.

Yes, I have/have-had the same problems. My best efforts have been when I make the mix up fresh. So whatever the bhaji recipe is it is made up in, say, five minutes maximum and then it's straight into the oil. All the methods that require standing time don't seeem to work for me.

Offline Curry Barking Mad

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 10, 2009, 08:10 PM »
Now use the dark oil in your base instead of your measured amount of new /fresh veg oil,
this goes a long way to getting the taste in your curries that I am aiming for,
Bob

Hmmm, I sort of agree and disagree. The use of the bhaji cooking oil is essential in my opinion, however, I think if it is used it should go in at the curry cooking stage and  not in the base. If it goes into the base it seems to lose its efficacy.

I understand where you are coming from with your comment,
I have seen this oil albeit much darker from cooking a hundred or so bhajis not just a small batch or two, go into base gravy pots, and as a curry is nearly finished some of this oil is skimmed off the top of the pot and added to the curry,
if the oil is flavoured enough from the spices, onions and gram flour (burned) then it is powerful stuff and certainly adds a taste to the gravy which is not overpowering in kormas etc when used from the bottom of the pot, but gives a real kick to madras, bhuna type curries when skimmed off the top, ie the actual oil,
I also saw Maliks add a dark liquid that really coated the onions in the gravy pot(about 2 litres)they carried on making the gravy but added no other oil ,
I emailed them about this and they wouldn't answer other than to say it was new fresh oil that went into the gravy, but I know I'm not blind...
Bob

Offline JerryM

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 11, 2009, 08:21 AM »
we had unusual tea last night - 2 bowls of rice and 2 batches of bhajis (1 batch chilli prawn, 1 batch chriswg as spec).

there was some good learning in it for me.

as a rev 1.0 recipe - not bad and quite a suprise in a few areas. i'll list in order of importance for me:

1) cooking method - no good - 140C cooking is just not hot enough causing the bhajis to take on too much oil. i've always used 160C and will be sticking to it.

2) fennel - the seeds are too big to add whole (they're out of balance as a result). i'd grind them for a few secs before adding (cut them in 1/2 is what u need).

3) fresh coriander - worked a treat (adopted going fwd)

4) turmeric - added a colour not sure it did much on taste. something i would have to try out a few times before deciding

5) methi and hing - big surprise - i could not pick out the individual tastes so i think i can use up my existing stocks which remain un loved

6) method of making - too much phaffing for me. i'll stick to CP's method. i particularly did not like making the batter and then adding to the onion. the CP method is to add the spice dry and mix with onion then add water (much easier).

7) chilli powder - obviously a personal thing - i've not come across it in BIR - won't be adding again.

8 ) the 1 cup gram flour was 120g (i actually made a 1/2 batch)

9) the oil - i used a deep fryer which i used for all my none chip frying.

interesting general observations:

A) i made both my norm mint sauce (includes some spice, i make both gary's and issiemc's http://www.curry-recipes.co.uk/curry/index.php?topic=2687.new;topicseen#new)) and 976bar's. we very much liked 976bar's and used a whole tub 500g of yogurt for the 1st time. CP's bhajis went with both sauces. chriswg's did not go at all with my norm but went well with 976bar's.

the conclusion being that the combined taste of the bhajis and the mint sauce has a big influence on the overall taste.

B) chriswg's have a taste in them that CP's do not which i am sure is in the real BIR version. i don't know quite what it is though although i'm pretty sure it's down to something in the spicing. i would have to strip the recipe back and then try adding back ea spice one at a time to pin point what it is. a break through for me in terms of improving the taste of what i make regularly.

a very interesting and enjoyable evening. many thanks to chriswg for the inspiration.

pics CP bhaji (with coriander & turmeric), chriswg ingredients, chriswg bhaji

Offline chriswg

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 11, 2009, 09:19 AM »
Hi Jerry,

Great post, I'm glad you had an enjoyable evening! I was also pleased to hear you risked the methi leaves and hing. I spoke to a very experienced indian head chef who said they put the hing in their recipe. Although raw it stinks a bit like rotten onions, I think in the bhaji it gives a nice oniony garlicy after-taste.

I'm surprised at your thoughts on the cooking method, mine have never taken up too much oil. I think there is a difference between cooking in a deep fat fryer and using a saucepan (maybe the amount of oxygen that they cook in?). I have seen videos of people cooking bhajis in DFF's at 180 degree for 6 minutes and them come out golden. If I did that in a saucepan they would be burned inside a minute (my thermometer may just be broken of course).

Looking at your results, I think maybe I have made some mistakes in my method as mine  don't look anything like yours came out. I'll be making some tomorrow (my wife doesnt like the house stinking of bhajis all weekend or I'd be making some right now) and I'll put up the pictures.

For v1.1 I'll include the option of grinding up the fennel seeds, making the chilli powder optional and removing the lemon juice from the recipe. I'll also make the method a little clearer with the addition of photos. I still stand by the fact they should be cooked at 140 degrees but I'll buy a new thermometer over the weekend to make sure the other one is correct.

If anyone has any other thoughts then please let me know.

Jerry, thanks again for your road test and detailed feedback. I'm sure if we all put our thoughts together we can come up with a definitive cr0 bhaji recipe!

Offline JerryM

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 11, 2009, 02:40 PM »
mine  don't look anything like yours came out.

just for info i use 2 off desert spoons to "cup" the mixture and sort of drop it into the oil from just above the surface. it seems to work (i don't compress them with my hands or in any other way).

the key thing for me is that there was a BIR taste in your recipe that's not in CP's. i hope we can pin point what it is. it could be the methi and hing for example. the onion seeds are another contender. i feel it's unlikely to be paprika, fennel. i can't believe it's the chilli powder so that only leaves the methi, hing, onion seeds (kalonji) unless it's a combination.

we did have a real good night and chucked nothing away which says something.

best wishes

Offline chriswg

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 12, 2009, 08:53 PM »
I have just finished a new batch and taken a few photos. I'll put them up photo by photo tomorrow (Top Gear is on!). Here is the finished product. They tasted really good although I think there is still plenty of room for improvement.

Offline qprbob

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 12, 2009, 09:49 PM »
CWG

That looks very good indeed. Only problem for me, I'm of the school that Onion Bhaji's should be ball shape and not flattened,

Offline chriswg

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 13, 2009, 09:21 AM »
Depending on just how big you like your round bhajis there probably isn't any reason to change this method, just leave out the flattening part. The raw mix is very sticky and easy to shape into balls. Anything up to golf ball size will be cooked evenly right the way through. If you want bigger then its probably more of a problem (I've never tried). In that case I would think you would have to soften the onions in a frying pan before adding to the gram flour and spice mix. You could probably fry them in some of the spices to pack them with added flavour. (NB don't fry them in garam masala or you will end up with a very bitter taste).

Offline chriswg

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 14, 2009, 12:11 PM »
I'm not sure if this needs its own topic but as the previous one had so many posts I didn't want this to get lost. This is the closest I can get to BIR style at the moment but I have a couple of new ideas to play around with which may provide some interesting results.

I hope this is a lot easier to follow and I look forward to hearing everyone's thoughts and ideas once they have tried them.

Onion Bhaji Recipe v1.1

They freeze really well so make a big batch and just defrost and reheat (Follow Step 10).

Ingredients (Makes 8 - 10 Bhajis)

500 Grams Onions
1 Tsp Salt
1 Tsp Chilli Powder (Optional - Mild or Hot depending on preference)
1 Tsp Asafoetida
1 Tsp Paprika
1 Tsp Cumin
1 Tbsp Turmeric
1 Tbsp Garam Masala
1 Tbsp Cumin Seeds
1 Tbsp Fennel Seeds (may be crushed or halved depending on preference)
1 Tbsp Black Onion Seeds
1 Tbsp Dried Fenugreek (Methi) Leaves
1 Tbsp Fresh Coriander
150 Grams Gram Flour

Method

1.   Slice the onions pole to pole very finely and put to one side.
2.   In a large mixing bowl add everything else including 100 grams of gram flour (sifted if you have time). (Photo 2)
3.   Add very small amounts of water at a time and mix until you have a very very thick batter. (Photo 3)
4.   Add the onions and mix well so all the onions are covered. (Photo 4)
5.   Place the bowl in the fridge for 30 minutes. This will draw a lot of moisture out of the onions making the batter a bit thinner. You still want it sticky rather than runny.
6.   Beat the mixture with a wooden spoon to get everything mixed together really well. Add in the remaining 50 grams of gram flour until the mixture is just sticky again.
7.   Now for the most important bit, preheat your oil in a medium sized saucepan to around 140 degrees (any hotter and the mix cooks too quickly on the outside and the onion will have a raw taste).
8.   Drop in 2 - 4 balls (slightly bigger than golf balls) of mixture at a time (Photo 5) and reduce the hob to low. You need to maintain a temperature of around 130 degrees (it will drop by at least 10 degrees when you put the bhajis in). Any lower than 125 degrees and the will go greasy and break up, and higher than 140 and they cook too quickly. (Photo 6)
9.   Turn them every couple of minutes until they start to go golden brown (after about 6 - 8 minutes). I like to then remove them from the pan and put 2 more in. While they cool I use the back of a large spoon to squash them into 1 inch thick disks. (Photos 7 and 8 )
10.   You can then either freeze them like this or cook them for another 3 - 4 minutes if you are eating them immediately. For the second cook through the oil still needs to remain at around 130 degrees. They will be very crispy and cooked all the way through.
11.   Once cooked put them onto a piece of kitchen roll and fold it over so you can squeeze a bit of the fat from them before serving.
12.   They are ready to eat! (Photos 9 and 10)
13.   Very important tip - Save the oil in a bottle to use next time. Once you have made these 2 or 3 times, the oil will smell amazing and the bhajis will taste even better. Wait until it is completely cool then pour it into the bottle. When you next use it, if you have a few floaters in the oil, just pass it through a sieve when you pour it into the saucepan.

©2024 Curry Recipes