Author Topic: Dorset Naga's  (Read 16257 times)

Offline chriswg

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
Dorset Naga's
« on: July 09, 2009, 10:11 AM »
My Dorset Naga plant has a few nice fat chillis on it which should be ready to pick in a month or so (weather allowing). I've never tried eating one and I'm a bit concerned they will just be too hot. Has anyone here ever tried cooking with them? Did you survive? What would be a good recipe to use them for? Maybe we should invent a Chicken Vindanagaloo!

On a separate note, anyone serious about hot curries should grow their own Super Chillies. They are really easy to grow in pots on a windowsill (or conservatory or greenhouse if you are lucky). They seem to be a similar heat to birdseye chillies so they have plenty of kick. Each plant can produce up to 300 chillies. I stupidly planted 8 of them!

See resized photos in new post below - SnS
« Last Edit: July 09, 2009, 01:59 PM by SnS »

Offline chriswg

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
Re: Dorset Naga's
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2009, 10:18 AM »
Photos were a bit large - Sorry.

Offline Bobby Bhuna

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2009, 11:38 AM »
Those super chilies look awesome. Oddly enough I had the same concern over Dorset Nagas. They have started stocking them in large Tesco stores with a new level of hotness like "devilishly hot" or something silly. I thought about buying them (you only get 2 or 3 small ones in a pack) but thought the food might be inedible. Anyone tried them? I know SnS grows them.

Offline qprbob

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2009, 11:58 AM »
One of our local BIR's does Naga curries. They are extremely hot, but have a nice flavour to them.
They are supposed to be the hottest chili ever according to the Scoville scale. 923,000 SHU ( Scoville Heat Units.

Offline chriswg

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2009, 01:51 PM »
If you look around the internet there are some amusing videos and stories of people eating them. One guy was ill for days with terrible stomach pains, but then he did eat a whole one raw.

Unless anyone has some real world experience with them, I'll probably start off with 1 chilli for about 10 portions of sauce. They are about 20 times hotter than hot green finger chillies so that would seem about right.

Offline CurryOnRegardless

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2009, 05:41 PM »
One of our local BIR's does Naga curries. They are extremely hot, but have a nice flavour to them.
They are supposed to be the hottest chili ever according to the Scoville scale. 923,000 SHU ( Scoville Heat Units.

I'll bet you they are using Scotch Bonnets not Naga chillies. There is one of the new fancy style BIRs round this way that does a so called Naga Curry but the taste is definitely SB, very distinctive and certainly hot but nowhere near as hot as a real Naga. Never seen any on sale anywhere, I think you would need to be a bit mental to attempt eating them TBH.

Regards
Cor

Offline qprbob

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2009, 01:23 AM »
Interesting thought, as I've said previously, very  very hot, but nice flavour. Not once compared to anything else in an Indian take away. I've always thought, for the supposedly hottest chili , it was not that hot.
As a side note, went to see the Stranglers in concert tonight, met friends and went to Wetherspoons for eats and a beer or two. As it happens, it was curry night and thought why not. Not your usual BIR fayre, but a curry non the less. A good selection of various curries, but the ingredients listed, left a lot to be desired. Any how plumped for their Chicken Vindaloo, reason being it stated " our hottest curry, try it if you dare" that was it , red flag to a bull. To say i was disappointed would be a little unfair. A very hot curry, but not a Vindaloo by any stretch of the imagination. Very hot, from chili powder alone and that's all you could taste apart from the Cinnamon. Not that sure it's an ingrediant I've tasted before in a Vindaloo.
Going back to the thread, this leads me to say I have not had a real Naga Curry. Very disappointing if true, as I would love to try the real thing. Will buy Dorset Naga Chili seeds next year and then maybe develop a real Naga Curry. Will keep you all informed. If there is a recipe for a Naga Curry out there somewhere, it would be very much appreciated.

Offline seekingcurry

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2009, 12:10 AM »

I'll bet you they are using Scotch Bonnets not Naga chillies. There is one of the new fancy style BIRs round this way that does a so called Naga Curry but the taste is definitely SB, very distinctive and certainly hot but nowhere near as hot as a real Naga. Never seen any on sale anywhere, I think you would need to be a bit mental to attempt eating them TBH.

Regards
Cor

My local tesco had these tonight, and they really looked like dorset naga not generic habanero, I had to get some anyway. I can tell you I'm a real chilli head, I get fresh chillies from the south devon chilli farm, collect the super hot sauces (blairs, dave's gourmet etc) and these chillies were the real deal. I'm not stupid, I tried a bit about 4mm square, it was extremely hot, instant hiccups (uncomfortable :(). If you see these in your local tesco, grab some :D

Offline chriswg

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2009, 09:46 AM »
My second Naga plant has finally managed to start producing fruit. For months the flowers have just been dropping off. I tried lots of manual pollination ant all times of day but with no effect, there was no pollen being generated. I decided to let nature have a go and put it outside by a lavender bush for a week. I've now got 15 chillis growing through. Good old bumblebees!

Offline bagpuss22

• Junior Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2009, 01:12 PM »
I am using Dorset Naga's in my recipes.  I have been experimenting for a
few months now and I have to admit I enjoy the heat and flavour.

Recently completed a Chicken Jalfrezi which originally wanted 8 Birdseye
chilli's but I replaced this with 2 Naga.  Wow what an excellent chili buzz  ;D

Careful when handling Naga's as the can leave a nasty bite if not handled correctly.
I have found that slicing them with a very sharp knife and fork works well and do this on a regular basis now  :D

©2024 Curry Recipes