Author Topic: Dorset Naga's  (Read 16092 times)

Offline SnS

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
Re: Dorset Naga's
« Reply #20 on: September 14, 2009, 04:56 PM »
The bit to which you refer (the hottest part) is called the placenta and its where the seeds are attached.
 ;)

Offline bigben

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 20, 2009, 01:37 PM »
Those super chilies look awesome. Oddly enough I had the same concern over Dorset Nagas. They have started stocking them in large Tesco stores with a new level of hotness like "devilishly hot" or something silly. I thought about buying them (you only get 2 or 3 small ones in a pack) but thought the food might be inedible. Anyone tried them? I know SnS grows them.

I have bought 10 packs from Tesco and tried a few, There are really hot! I have grown different chilli's every year but nothing as hot as these. I havealso dryed a few out and planted the seeds (Late on for planting i know!) But out of 12, 1 is growing well! Where do you get your seeds from?

Offline 976bar

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 20, 2009, 03:47 PM »
The bit to which you refer (the hottest part) is called the placenta and its where the seeds are attached.
 ;)

SnS It sounds as though you are preparing to deliver one hot baby!!!!!!!!!!!!!  ;D

Offline SnS

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 20, 2009, 06:02 PM »
I have bought 10 packs from Tesco and tried a few, There are really hot! I have grown different chilli's every year but nothing as hot as these. I havealso dryed a few out and planted the seeds (Late on for planting i know!) But out of 12, 1 is growing well! Where do you get your seeds from?

I've always got my seeds off ebay. Never failed yet.

Not impressed with Naga's though - hot but tasteless when compared to habenero chillies (which have a fruity taste but are still extremely hot).

Offline SnS

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 20, 2009, 06:09 PM »
The variety, Bhut Jolokia is being grown for sale at Doddington Hall near Lincoln. It measures one million on the Scoville Scale of chilli hotness - five times the level of varieties we'd normally consider hot like Jalapeno. Pepper spray which is used to control crowds, measures five million on the Scoville Scale.

In 2007, it was confirmed by Guinness World Records to be the hottest chilli in the world.

The chilli can be dangerous, and should be handled with care to avoid it transferring into your eyes.

The chillies are in limited supply at Doddington Hall, but have been very popular with customers so far. They come in a sealed bag with a warning label advising customers that the chilli is extremely hot!

Doddington's cookery demonstrator Amy Claridge spoke to William Wright on the Breakfast Show about it.

http://feeds.bbc.co.uk/lincolnshire/content/articles/2009/09/17/hot_chilli_feature.shtml
http://www.doddingtonhall.com/

Offline iggyboy

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 29, 2009, 04:59 PM »
I have grown dorset nagas and bhut jolokia for a few years. They are extremely hot and should be used with caution. For anyone interested in growing chillis, check out this forum.
http://firefoods.phpbbhosts.co.uk/index.php

Offline SH

• Junior Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 13, 2009, 02:22 PM »
I have used Dorset Naga for making chilli sauce.  Using a can of plum tomatoes as a base and adding onion, various spices, white wine vinegar, lemon and lime juices, garlic and a carrot, I have produced nearly one pint of the hottest sauce it is possible to eat without breaking into an uncontrollable sweat.  I am keeping the precise recipe a secret but the Naga content was only 6 mature red chillis.  All you need is a blender and some small bottles.  It's vet quick and easy to do.  Try it.

:P

Offline Secret Santa

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 13, 2009, 09:05 PM »
I am keeping the precise recipe a secret but the Naga content was only 6 mature red chillis.  All you need is a blender and some small bottles.  It's vet quick and easy to do.  Try it.

How can we try it if you're going to keep it a secret?   ???  ::)

Offline CurryOnRegardless

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 14, 2009, 12:08 PM »
My local deli have started selling THESE for ?3 per 10g bag. Now unless my maths have let me down that means they are worth ?300/kilo.
Think I'll get a gro bag for the kitchen window sill!

Regards
CoR

Offline foxy69rtaz

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 16, 2009, 06:35 PM »
Photos were a bit large - Sorry.
whoa it like farm town lol

©2024 Curry Recipes