Author Topic: Curry powder / Garam masala  (Read 9043 times)

Offline CurryCrazy

• Senior Chef
    • View Profile
Curry powder / Garam masala
« on: July 11, 2009, 07:25 PM »
I see so many recipes calling for curry powder AND garam masala.

I understand that there are a mixture of spices in each, but are they not essentially the same thing?

If they are, then would adding both to a dish over spice too much?

I've also seen that garam masala should be added towards the end of cooking. Curry powdwer can be added in the base.....

Can someone help on this?

very confuddled  ???

Offline Bobby Bhuna

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
Re: Curry powder / Garam masala
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2009, 08:46 PM »
Essentially both curry powder and Garam Masala are both just spice mixes. However curry powder is aimed specifically at making curries. Garam Masala on the other hand is an aromatic spice blend that can be used in many dishes from sprinkling on fish to adding a tsp into a Bhuna.

Many base sauce recipes on this site call for the use of curry powder and a few infact call for the use of Garam Masala (E.g. The Rajver). The reason that Garam Masala is not present in curry powder is because it is not used in every curry dish (E.g. I would not put it in a Madras) whereas the spices in the curry powder are generic enough to work well with most curries.

In my mind Garam Masala is added towards the end of cooking because this way it retains the maximum level of aroma. Over cooking can cause the aromtic kick to lessen.

Cheers,

BB.

Offline JerryM

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2009, 01:42 PM »
CurryCrazy,

It's a real good subject this.

when u compare the ingredients that go into each it's very clear that they are very different.

i used to make my own garam for yrs thinking it was used in making the final curry. it wasn't.

i finally became aware of spice mix or mix powder. this can include curry powder and for me is what u cook the curry with.

since the ashoka i've started buying garam instead of making it. the taste is much closure to currypower and i now use on it's own as the spice mix as per spec for the  Korahi Bhuna. it tastes amazingly good. i'm sure though it only suits particular dishes.

i have tried adding the home made garam as a pinch late on but it took me further away from BIR. i've not tried the bought stuff but find the spice mix just right.

in summary for me i only use mix powder in the final dish (except for occasional oddballs when garam seems to work as a replacement for the mix powder but equally good results can be achieved using a more relevant choice of mix powder ie Kushi works well in place of garam).

Offline Cory Ander

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2009, 02:14 PM »
I see so many recipes calling for curry powder AND garam masala.

I understand that there are a mixture of spices in each, but are they not essentially the same thing?

If they are, then would adding both to a dish over spice too much?

I've also seen that garam masala should be added towards the end of cooking. Curry powder can be added in the base.....

Can someone help on this?

very confuddled  ???

Goodness!  Quite interesting questions and replies!

1)  Any mixture of spices is a "masala".  Therefore, "curry powder", "garam masala", "spice mix", "mix powder", etc, etc, are "masalas"

2)  "curry powder" is basically a British concoction from the British Raj in India and is simply a mixture of ground spices (as is a "spice mix" and as is a "mix powder").  Basic ingredients are often turmeric, cumin, coriander and paprika/chili, plus minor ingredients, by weight/volume, (sometimes up to about 20 ingredients in all).  These spices are common to most curry dishes and it is therefore convenient to mix them together into one masala.

3)  "spice mix" and "mix powder" are synonymous (they are allegedly terms used by many BIR chefs for their mixture of powdered spices...i.e. their "curry powder").  It is essentially a very basic curry powder, using only a few (maybe only four or five) ingredients.

3)  "garam (meaning "hot") masala" is a more traditional Indian blend of the more pungent and aromatic (i.e. fragrant) spices (e.g. cloves, peppercorns, cinnamon, brown cardamom, black cumin, etc). 

I'm not sure if many BIRs use garam masala in their cooking.  I think it is more prevalent in traditional Indian cooking and maybe more prevalent in "balti" cooking where "baltis" are more aromatic than traditional BIR curries

However, there is no reason why you can't add both (they are both "masalas"....a mixture of spices...after all).  It really depends on what flavour and aroma you are after.

"Garam masala" is normally added towards the end of cooking because, otherwise, it would lose some of it's aromaticity/fragrance.

It is sometimes useful to add a pinch of "Garam masala", towards the end of cooking, to perk up an otherwise tasteless curry!  ;)

« Last Edit: July 13, 2009, 08:05 AM by Cory Ander »

Offline JerryM

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2009, 08:20 AM »
I'm quite taken aback by how different the home made is to the branded. i'd like to put it down to my poor ability at roasting or something like.

when u compare the east end list: coriander, cumin, black pepper, cardamom, cinnamon, dry ginger, bay, cloves

with say KD's: coriander, cumin, black pepper, cardamom, cinnamon, bay, cloves, nutmeg, black cardamom

the differences are ginger, nutmeg and black cardamom. only the black cardamom standing out as a significant influence on taste. other than this i can only imagine the taste is down to the proportions which perhaps in the branded have been toned to the UK taste buds.

put this a side for a mo and look at rajah curry power: coriander, turmeric, cumin, salt, bengal gram, mustard seed, fenugreek seeds, fennel seeds, garlic, bay.

for me quite different to the garam. i share CA's point that garam is not widely used given the difference. i put it's use by the ashoka in the karahi bhuna as 1 off and not typical.

i'd also feel that adding a pinch takes the taste away from rather than closer to BIR.

the views/experiences of the rest of the members would be very interesting.

Offline qprbob

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2009, 08:38 AM »
I'm quite taken aback by how different the home made is to the branded. i'd like to put it down to my poor ability at roasting or something like.

when u compare the east end list: coriander, cumin, black pepper, cardamom, cinnamon, dry ginger, bay, cloves

with say KD's: coriander, cumin, black pepper, cardamom, cinnamon, bay, cloves, nutmeg, black cardamom the differences are ginger, nutmeg and black cardamom. only the black cardamom standing out as a significant influence on taste. other than this i can only imagine the taste is down to the proportions which perhaps in the branded have been toned to the UK taste buds.

put this a side for a mo and look at rajah curry power: coriander, turmeric, cumin, salt, bengal gram, mustard seed, fenugreek seeds, fennel seeds, garlic, bay.

for me quite different to the garam. i share CA's point that garam is not widely used given the difference. i put it's use by the ashoka in the karahi bhuna as 1 off and not typical.

i'd also feel that adding a pinch takes the taste away from rather than closer to BIR.

the views/experiences of the rest of the members would be very interesting.

I've made the KD Garam Masala and I think it's too overpowering, even in small quantites. I also think slightly differently to you, in as much that the Nutmeg would have an influence on the taste in my opinion.

Offline JerryM

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2009, 04:50 PM »
qprbob,

yes u're quite right on the nutmeg - i did not mention it as it's hard to add enough to make it offensive to the taste buds ie overpower. u can certainly get it out of balance for sure.

i listed KD as it was my starting point. i ended up using 16 spices in the garam before i realised my folly given the branded is so good.

Offline CurryCrazy

• Senior Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2009, 11:45 PM »
Interesting...cheers guys.

Does anyone who has been into a bir kitchen know whether the chef makes his own mix or uses branded. Could this be where the big variation in "the taste" lies?

My thinking is that maybe 10 - 15 years ago most chefs produced their own masalas, whereas now they "cheat" and use branded (cheap & easily available). This is why some newer bir (in my experience) don't quite hit the mark...not bad by a long way, but not fantastic.

cheers

Offline Derek Dansak

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2009, 12:32 PM »
my local bir has swartz garam. they dont use it much, just for odd dishes like tarka dhal , or vegitarian side orders. certainly not seen them add it to the key dishes like madras. i will ask them about this next visit. i always thought the commercial garam masallas were alot worse than home made, because commercial mixes are made as chaeply as possible and bulked out with cheap spices . to increse volume. i might buy some swartz and do a comparison to my home made one. i have a feeling the pat chapman garam mix from his book will win. that has mint leaves in it !!

Offline Derek Dansak

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2009, 12:00 PM »
As promised i asked the chef at my local about using garam masalla. his response was that they only use it in the meat preparation. i asked if it goes in the base, and he said no.

©2024 Curry Recipes