Author Topic: Does the missing 'secret' ingredient exist?  (Read 15556 times)

Offline emin-j

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
Re: Does the missing 'secret' ingredient exist?
« Reply #20 on: July 23, 2009, 07:35 PM »
emin-j,

the web site does not say much about the course other than 3 hrs on sat'd.

do u have any further details on what it covers. it sounds like the idea maybe for several visits over time.
JerryM here's a more informative link http://www.myristica.co.uk/S%20P%20E%20C%20I%20A%20L%20S
Basically you make a starter ,main course ( chicken tikka massala )but i have asked to make a Madras  ;D and a desert, after about 2.5hrs of cooking we all sit down and eat what we have cooked plus a 1/2 bottle of wine ' on the house ' ;) price is ?50 individual and ?80 for a couple ,I have my Son and Two Daughters plus myself to book for.

Offline emin-j

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 23, 2009, 07:41 PM »
I know it covers Onion Bhajis! I'm in negotiations with my wife to go on one of the courses soon. maybe all 3 of us should book on the same course. I imagine between us we could get answers to all the questions we need to know!
chriswg Luckily i am in Bristol and it's just down the road for me  8)
i have asked if i can cook a Madras rather than the usuall Chicken Tikka Massala they cook on the course. :D

Offline JerryM

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 24, 2009, 08:27 AM »
emin-j,

thanks for extra link (which i'd missed).

it sounds real good value and covers just what i'd want. bristol is a long way by car for me but will check out day rtn prices.

Offline JerryM

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 24, 2009, 06:54 PM »

for info the KD1 defines Chat masala, "ready mixed preparation of salt and spices used for "chats". Its available from Asian and Pakistani grocers in small boxes. i've not used it (and would probably say i don't see a need).

i been thinking about this a bit more and intend to buy a packet of chat masala.

i've picked up on a sort of "seasoning" difference in the dishes from my local TA.  i think it could be something like the chat masala or maybe seasoned salt (aromatic salt: 100g salt, 1 tsp all spice, 1 tsp cinnamon). given that i already use salt i'm not confident though. i also don't associate all spice with BIR.

to back up my suspicions i find that i always have to drink water during the night after a TA but not when i've eaten well more of my own cooking. i don't feel it's msg although it could be and i guess i will have to try it too.

Offline George

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 24, 2009, 07:26 PM »
it sounds real good value and covers just what i'd want.

Call me a sceptic but I wouldn't be so sure. They mention 'classic' cooking and making naans while the main dishes cook. I wouldn't be surprised if they dig out some recipes for normal Indian cooking, rather than show how to make their usual BIR fare.

Offline emin-j

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 24, 2009, 07:46 PM »

for info the KD1 defines Chat masala, "ready mixed preparation of salt and spices used for "chats". Its available from Asian and Pakistani grocers in small boxes. i've not used it (and would probably say i don't see a need).

i been thinking about this a bit more and intend to buy a packet of chat masala.

i've picked up on a sort of "seasoning" difference in the dishes from my local TA.  i think it could be something like the chat masala or maybe seasoned salt (aromatic salt: 100g salt, 1 tsp all spice, 1 tsp cinnamon). given that i already use salt i'm not confident though. i also don't associate all spice with BIR.

to back up my suspicions i find that i always have to drink water during the night after a TA but not when i've eaten well more of my own cooking. i don't feel it's msg although it could be and i guess i will have to try it too.

JerryM , you gotta use the oil from your Chip Pan mate haldi has found the Holy Grail so dont worry about the Spices , I just cant stop thinking about watching the Chef at my fav T/A he only used the basic Spices except the Spice mix which he makes himself and made a delicious Curry. :'(

Offline JerryM

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 25, 2009, 08:13 AM »
emin-j,

thanks for the kind words.

i think the seasoning is more targeted at recipe refinement (a different piece of the jigsaw). the more i cook myself the more i feel i can sort of analyse my local TA dishes. there is a definite "salt" related difference in the taste. it's not down to salt alone though as i've tried a range already. i don't feel it's spice related either hence my current interest in minimal spicing (i aim to reduce the spice in the next base and also in the curries).

it could be msg but it's not like the thirst u get from a Chinese so i'm not convinced it's it either.

Offline Secret Santa

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 28, 2009, 02:18 PM »
Hi JerryM

It's interesting what you say about the salt. I find that to get a decent BIR flavour I have to add a decent amount of salt to the curry I'm making. But the problem is that when I taste the curry the next day (cold) it's far too salty, and yet I don't notice this when I first eat the curry hot!

I think MSG must play a part in this and I'll probably try some, with an appropriate reduction in salt, in the near future to assess its effect.

Offline JerryM

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 28, 2009, 07:03 PM »
Secret Santa,

this is niggling me as i feel i can't progress until it's sorted (it's one i may even have to ask my local TA).

i've tried a range of salt from 1/4 tsp to around 1 tsp per potion. we have settled on 1/4 tsp. the taste in the cooked dish does change in the 1st 5 mins when the salt taste seems to come through stronger ie we could go up a little and get closer to BIR say 1/2 tsp. nevertheless though the difference compared to my local TA is not down to salt alone.

i'm going to try the aromatic salt as the allspice is a fav and could well fit the bill with the cinnamon. i reluctantly also feel i've got to try the msg in a small way - i don't want Chinese TA syndrome for sure.

after that i'm stuck. given that most eating houses use far more salt than we would at home (i base this on pizza and lasagna experience) then i don't see how it can be anything else. i can't even see it being down to brand of salt as i use cheapo cooking salt and don't see maldon salt in a BIR somehow.

Offline JerryM

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 29, 2009, 05:10 PM »
Secret Santa,

i've bought some msg - very surprised by the taste not what i expected (not salty). i've also read up on the existing posts and as a result not that confident of significant improvement.

anyhow i have the msg, aromatic salt & black salt lined up to try.

©2024 Curry Recipes