Author Topic: Sirloin Steak  (Read 9528 times)

Offline JerryM

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
Re: Sirloin Steak
« Reply #20 on: October 16, 2010, 02:51 PM »
976bar,

real nice idea. i'd have to admit i've got used to the gas bbq now and don't really miss the smoke - as u will already know the gas bbq is not easily beaten on taste down to the perfect cooking temp it achieves with ease. i also do like the convenience of turn it on leave it 15 mins then cook. in the garage is a real good place as i'm no longer affected by weather or the wind.

the real interest is in how to tenderize steak. it's one thing i've never cracked. it may be just that restaurants have access to the best meat and don't do anything else to it - it just don't gel with me as the full picture.

for some reason the low background heat and salt seemed to have a significant affect last week. i'm doing a repeat tonight to make sure no fluke. i was just interested if anyone else had cracked the tenderizing. a light bashing with the rolling pin does work wonders but it's not the fully story - i think restaurants must have something else. the gas bbq or equivalent is essential for sure.

Offline 976bar

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 16, 2010, 03:44 PM »
Hi Jerry,

I really don't believe that tenderising will happen during the cooking process. Steaks are cooked for what? 1-2 minutes either side for blue, 4-5 minutes for medium and above 6-8 for well done, how can meat tenderise in that space of time?

Try and buy tender meat, fillet is the softest and most tender of steaks, with a good sirloin or t-bone or porterhouse next. Rump I have never found tender and always a bit chewy. So if it is a little tough (judging by the cut you buy) then marinate it in something overnight. Pat it dry, then rub with a little oil then sprinkle salt and pepper over it, then cook it.

Offline JerryM

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 18, 2010, 09:07 AM »
976bar,

u're last post wraps it up for me (except the timing of adding the salt).

have concluded salt has no effect as a tenderizer and that pre low heat baking after bashing (ie before frying) has no affect either ~60C for 1 hr) . also believe adding salt before the start of frying is not good (excessive water is produced during the frying which kills the grill temperature - the meat needs sealing first).

i'm now sorted on this. the rolling pin or mallet is only way of tenderising if u don't want to add a different flavour (ie marinade)

Offline matt3333

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 18, 2010, 09:28 AM »
Hi
My opinion on this for what its worth,
I have a Le Cruset griddle which I heat on a gas hot wok to a very high temperature (here-in lies the key)
The steak is then simply added to the pan the intense heat seals the meat and I cook for about 3 mins each side.
The smoke is pretty intense I usually cook them in the garage- but the best steak ever tender and the steak remains juicy.

The link below is a good one and the site is worth  looking at.

http://www.donaldrussell.com/cm/meat_perfection_pan_frying.htm

Matt

Offline JerryM

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 18, 2010, 09:37 AM »
matt3333,

totally agree with what u say and the link - it's exactly it for me. i even only cook 1 off steak at a time to make sure i keep the temp up (and even allow time to reheat before cooking the next).

the link advice to only turn once is also for me a crucial technique. the point in the cooking to add the salt is not clear though but given what they say on drying out then it could even be at the start of the resting period.

Offline Malc.

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 18, 2010, 04:46 PM »
I simply use a Cast Iron Griddle, pre-heat until smoking, then pop the steaks on. I only turn once the meat is beginning to unstick from the casting. The meat is removed once the second side is also beginning to unstick. Rest the steak and serve. We like ours rare to medium and always end up with a good result.

I don't salt my steaks I simply marinade them in good balsamic vinegar and a little olive oil for an hour or so. The balsamic vinegar helps to boost the griddled flavour.

I'll try chris' pre-salting technique next time a have steak though. I can see it working well on sirloin or rump, I don't think rib-eye needs tenderising though.

Offline JerryM

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 18, 2010, 06:48 PM »
I simply marinade them in good balsamic vinegar and a little olive oil for an hour or so. The balsamic vinegar helps to boost the griddled flavour.

Axe,

i have tried oil on it's own before and it does tenderize well . i thought it produced an unwelcome undertone taste. i do like balsamic and the idea of a combo with a little oil is well worth me trying. i've previously had similar thought of using worcester sauce (thinking as u say boost griddled flavour - i'm convinced some restaurant's have something up their sleeve).

i guess the trick on this kind of thing is to use far less marinade than u think u need - i'm thinking sort of 1 tsp total for say 3 to 4 steaks.

Offline Malc.

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 19, 2010, 09:46 AM »
Jerry,

The balsamic vinegar works a treat, once cooked, it gives an almost caramel sweetness to the steak. I use enough to coat the steak that I am using and just a little more, as the steak tends to soak it up quite a bit. But as I said, I do use rib-eye rather than sirloin, so that may differ slightly.

I think the key to getting a good finished product is making sure you have bought a good steak in the first place. Also, make sure it has time to breath out of any packaging, before being cooked. There is nothing worse than cooking a supermarket steak straight from it's plastic tray.

Offline Vindaloo-crazy

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 19, 2010, 10:38 AM »
Can you still get rib-eye? I thought Blair banned it?

We get the best (and cheapest) steak I've ever eaten here, the stuff just melts in your mouth, cooked on the barbie with milled pepper and topped with fried onions, tomato, mushies and peas.

©2024 Curry Recipes