Author Topic: 100%  (Read 41641 times)

Offline 976bar

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
Re: 100%
« Reply #20 on: July 23, 2009, 08:32 AM »
Hi Guys,

Whenever I make a base sauce/gravy, I never seem to get the oil to separate from the base, can anybody tell me why please? So I never end up with any spare oil to cook with.

Am I not cooking it for long enough? Do I not have it hot enough?

Any help would really be appreciated. :)

Offline chriswg

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 23, 2009, 09:42 AM »
Hi 976bar,

I think it is important to use plenty of oil in the first place, I use about 500ml to which I add the spices and fry for a couple of minutes before adding in all the onions and veg and water. I simmered for an hour then blended. I then simmered for another 2 - 3 hours. I didn't notice very much separation for the first 2 hours, then it came through quite well. I still only probably got 100ml back but this was more than enough to cook with.

I hope this helps.

Offline rallim

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 23, 2009, 11:17 AM »
I am concerned that achieving the "taste" may be extremely unhealthy

Hehe maybe that's why the chefs are not forthcoming with the secret ingredient  :o

They also made their own pastes that they used as a mix and match to achieve the desired taste with different meals, a bit of this and a some of that. They never used brand curry powder but they made a spice mix for either bhuna dishes or rogan josh??? wish I could remember. Pataks Tandoori and tikka pastes were used for marinading along with some other spices they added to enhance the flavour of the tandoori dishes.

Offline Derek Dansak

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 23, 2009, 04:05 PM »
the end of the road is nearly here. the bir holy grail has been revealled to us all. dream on guys !! ever get that feeling of de ja vu !!  ;D ;D ;D   

Offline Cory Ander

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 23, 2009, 04:23 PM »
the end of the road is nearly here. the bir holy grail has been revealled to us all. dream on guys !! ever get that feeling of de ja vu !!  ;D ;D ;D   

The difference being (for me anyway) is that I know we can place great credence on Haldi's deductions.  I know he's worked long and hard (much more so than most) on determining the reason for that missing "taste" and "smell" of a decent BIR curry. I'll certainly be trying it (my boys are getting me used oil as I speak...they work in a fast food chicken outlet)...I only hope Haldi is right (he deserves to be!)!  8)

I've also got oil, in my deep fat fryer, that I've used to make about 100 onion bhajis...plus chips, etc...I'll be trying that as well.

Offline chriswg

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 23, 2009, 05:58 PM »
You cook chips in Onion Bhaji oil? Do they taste spicy?

Offline emin-j

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 23, 2009, 07:24 PM »
You cook chips in Onion Bhaji oil? Do they taste spicy?

I do and they are turmeric yellow  ;D

Offline JerryM

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 24, 2009, 08:21 AM »
Haldi,

how did u arrive at using 50:50 burnt and new oil. the total amount of oil in the base at 80ml suggests there's not much for cooking - have u tried adding extra (for reclaim) and does it still work.

976bar,

oil reclaim info http://www.curry-recipes.co.uk/curry/index.php?topic=2684.0

Offline haldi

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 24, 2009, 09:56 AM »
Haldi,

how did u arrive at using 50:50 burnt and new oil. the total amount of oil in the base at 80ml suggests there's not much for cooking - have u tried adding extra (for reclaim) and does it still work.

I've seen a base made up, using fresh and old oil from the top of another curry gravy pot
I felt I should be cautious with the new ingedient too
I made another curry last night

Absolutely perfect
The aroma and flavour

This makes me so pleased, because now I can backtrack on all the demos I've seen and do them right
Even simple curries like korma and madras, will work

Offline JerryM

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 24, 2009, 06:06 PM »
Haldi,

many thanks. the back tracking sounds like being very useful to use all.

i'm making base next week and have burnt oil to hand in my 2nd fryer (used for chicken & bhajis). it's pretty black and sounds exactly what u describe. interesting the comment on the chips as our other fryer is used only for chips but the oil never gets black like the 2nd fryer.

my current focus is on recipe refinement and consistency so i'm not really sure what effect the blackened oil will have - nevertheless i feel it's a must try. i'll used the adapted CR02 base so i can be sure on what the effect is.

©2024 Curry Recipes