Author Topic: BIR Madras in 30 mins - Advice required!  (Read 7403 times)

Offline emin-j

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
Re: BIR Madras in 30 mins - Advice required!
« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2009, 08:12 PM »
Anyone ever thought of trying a can of Soup as the base ?

It's been brought up a few times over the years and I've definitely considered it but never got around to actually doing it. Having made SnS's base again recently, I'm convinced that a tin of tomato soup (not cream of...) would work well, as SnS's base tastes just like a spicy tomato soup to me.

So...1 can of tomato soup, some jarred garlic and ginger, a few of the usual spices and possibly some form of pre-cooked pureed onions (any suggestions for commercial ones?), and I think you've got yourself the easiest base in the world!
Sounds good SS , what about this for the Onion http://www.theasiancookshop.co.uk/onion-powder--ground-onion-powder-75g-1813-p.asp

Offline Secret Santa

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2009, 08:48 PM »
Sounds good SS , what about this for the Onion http://www.theasiancookshop.co.uk/onion-powder--ground-onion-powder-75g-1813-p.asp

Nice! I didn't even consider powdered onion. That would make it more BIR perhaps...definitely worth a punt.

Offline Secret Santa

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 28, 2009, 08:56 PM »
for coconut i'd try the block.

I most definitely wouldn't! The only place coconut block should be used is in a BIR base. Now, given that this is being made from scratch, and we're trying to get it done as quickly as possible, surely coconut flour is the best thing to use (and that's assuming coconut in a madras is appropriate anyhow!)?

Offline JerryM

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 29, 2009, 08:02 AM »
well spotted Secret Santa,

i should have added that the block comment was aimed at an optional base ingredient and should therefore only be a small amount. i use sugar lump size ~10mm cube (25g) in 800g onion. for adding coconut to a dish then the flour is best for me (and BIR practise for sure). there is disagreement across the family between block & flour in a dish though and i end up making 2 off versions of the same dish.

i'd also add fresh coriander to the list of curry essentials to go in during the cooking (i use in both base & dish).

rev 2 - sugar lump size should have been big lump 25mm not 10mm. i buy a 200g pack and divide into 8 portions 25g ea and whilst cutting it up today realised the error.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2009, 04:38 PM by JerryM »

Offline Cory Ander

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 29, 2009, 09:07 AM »
Hi Garnett,

You might like to try some or all of the following suggestions:

To Make Redder:

-  replace some (or all) of the tinned toms with tomato paste (rather than puree) and fry with the curry powder
-  add paprika (and/or chili powder) with the curry powder
-  replace coconut milk with coconut powder (or block, if you prefer)

To Make Less Bitty:

-  preferably blend the "sauce" when cooked, or
-  replace some (or all) of onions with onion powder in the "sauce"

Other Comments:

-  I wouldn't bother precooking the chicken (you could cook this in half the time then)
-  "BIR madras without a base" is an oxymoron, as you know (though you are effectively making a base - "sauce" - here)
-  If you really want to whack a madras out quickly, why not simply quickly fry (i.e. seal) the chicken and add Pataks (or other make) Madras Cooking Sauce (which is all your "sauce" preparation done for you)?  You could cook this in under 10 minutes then!

Pataks Madras Cooking Sauce Ingredients:

- Water
- Tomato (21%)
- Onion (12%)
- Vegetable Oil
- Spices (Contains Mustard)
- Coriander
- Modified Maize Starch
- Concentrated Tomato Puree
- Dried Onion
- Sugar
- Lemon Juice
- Cumin
- Chilli
- Salt
- Garlic

Colour:

- Caramel; Acetic Acid
- Ginger
- Mustard Seeds
- Dried Coriander Leaf
- Curry Leaf
- Cumin Seeds.

Hmmmmm, lemon juice in a madras!  ;)
« Last Edit: July 29, 2009, 09:21 AM by Cory Ander »

Offline Secret Santa

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 29, 2009, 11:08 AM »
Hmmmmm, lemon juice in a madras!  ;)

Grrrrr!

Offline Garnett

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 30, 2009, 07:08 PM »
Thanks for the replies. I like the idea of powdered onion and paprika. I reckon between them that should sort me out.

©2024 Curry Recipes