Author Topic: Lime Leaves in Curry  (Read 2413 times)

Offline JerryM

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
Lime Leaves in Curry
« on: August 09, 2009, 10:28 AM »
i make thai green curry quite a lot (probably where all my basmati rice goes).

one of the ingredients that i really like the taste of is the lime leaves. they are a bit like bay (but the taste is a definite wow).

has anyone used them in a curry. also whether it would be better used in the spice mix or added broken up with the base (as per thai curry).

i've never seen them on a BIR menu and think it's unlikely BIR's use them and so appreciate any dish would not be pukka.

Offline CurryCrazy

• Senior Chef
    • View Profile
Re: Lime Leaves in Curry
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2009, 03:03 PM »
Been watching Rick Steins latest outing in Asia.

It looks as though most of their curries use the kaffir lime leaves. They just crunch them up and throw them in.

It also looked as though all their curries are made using home made pastes rather than a base of onions or toms. Much thinner consistancies all round.

Never really got into south east asian cooking. South east asian eating for sure but...

Offline JerryM

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2009, 08:22 AM »
CurryCrazy,

many thanks - will look out for Rick's programme as i'd not spotted it was on.

i've realised though i need to clarify what i'm after.

i'm thinking of using the kaffir lime leaves in a "created" Indian dish. not really got my head round to what other ingredients but i'm thinking coconut flour to start with.

i normally use them exactly as u say. i was just digging to see if anyone else had any experience with using them.

Offline Derek Dansak

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2009, 11:07 AM »
personally i use kafir leafs only in thai cooking. i love there taste. but dont feel they are appropriate for bir cooking. instead i use bay, lime juice, lemon juice, in bir cooking, and lemon slices . thai curries are a totally different beast ! also very easy to make well, compared to indian bir curry.

Offline joshallen2k

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2009, 04:12 PM »
Hi Jerry,

Like others, I use Kaffir leaves only really for Thai cooking.

If I had to pick an Indian dish to try it out with, I'd suggest an Achari curry of some sort. Hot lime pickle features prominently, so its possible the lime leaves might be a nice add.

Offline JerryM

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2009, 08:49 AM »
DD/Josh,

many thanks. i was not too hopeful. i'm thinking a long the lines of an "adapted" pathia and might just give it a try just for info.

i appreciate i'm well off BIR territory - but of course the best thing to have with for example chips is curry.

©2024 Curry Recipes