Author Topic: CTM Base  (Read 18362 times)

Offline Curry Barking Mad

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
Re: CTM Base
« Reply #30 on: August 15, 2009, 10:56 AM »
All I know is , if I went into any of the BIR's that I have been into, up and down the country, and asked them not to add too many cherries or peaches to my CTM they would have looked at me as if I needed to be sectioned,

I think a distinction needs to be made here, this isn't anything like some of the new dishes that are appearing on menus, such as a Chicken Tikka Sugwinder, made with peaches and called Sugwinder because thats the chefs daughters name and she likes peaches..... ::)
Bob

Offline tgad2007

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 15, 2009, 07:36 PM »
i do have add that i did forget to write one of the ingredients on the main CTM base/paste.  during boiling the veg 4 tablespoons of mint sauce was added

Offline joshallen2k

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 15, 2009, 07:56 PM »
Tbag2007 - what size was the "tin of tomatoes"?

I still haven't perfected CTM, so I may give this a try.

-- Josh

Offline George

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 16, 2009, 08:42 AM »
I have seen recipes that include...peach juice in the sauce

Sorry Chris, I have NEVER seen that, certainly not in a CTM!  :-\

As already mentioned, many menus mention certain fruits in the context of 'Malay' and 'Kashmir' type dishes. I'd say they're like a variation on korma, as anyone who's tasted them will know. The best I've tasted had a sauce which was absolutely delicious. That taste must have been due to adding a bit more than simple lumps of fruit. I'm very interested to hear that peach juice and certain other things could be potentially useful ingredients, especially if the information comes from a genuine BIR chef. I wouldn't rule out any of the ingredients being reported and I'm grateful to the person(s) letting us know. There are many things they might add which would not be mentioned on the menu or anywhere.

Offline Cory Ander

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 16, 2009, 11:01 AM »
As already mentioned, many menus mention certain fruits in the context of 'Malay' and 'Kashmir' type dishes. I'd say they're like a variation on korma, as anyone who's tasted them will know. The best I've tasted had a sauce which was absolutely delicious. That taste must have been due to adding a bit more than simple lumps of fruit. I'm very interested to hear that peach juice and certain other things could be potentially useful ingredients, especially if the information comes from a genuine BIR chef. I wouldn't rule out any of the ingredients being reported and I'm grateful to the person(s) letting us know. There are many things they might add which would not be mentioned on the menu or anywhere.

Perhaps you are also more interested in tradional Indian cooking rather than typical BIR cooking then George (in fact, I think you have often stated the fact)?  I know of a great chicken and apricot curry, if you're interested?  Or what about salmon with mango, peach and melon?  :-\

Offline Cory Ander

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 16, 2009, 11:14 AM »
Tbag2007 - what size was the "tin of tomatoes"?

I still haven't perfected CTM, so I may give this a try.

-- Josh

..and don't forget the peaches, pears and cherries Josh  ;)

Offline Cory Ander

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 16, 2009, 11:19 AM »
This was the base made up for a CTM, firstly the base was made by using:-
4 onions
1 red pepper
1 tin of chopped tomatoes.

The veg was added to ginger and garlic paste being ently fried then water to cover. Then left to boil for half hour.  Then half a tsp of garam masala, half a tsp of salt, and a tsp of mix spice (turmeric,paprika,cumin,coriander,curry powder).  Then a tablespoon of pataks tandoori paste/(masala paste) was added, then cooled and blended.  back in the pot and on the heat and 2 tablespoons of sugar was added along with an unmeasured guess of 4 tablespoons of golden syrup and half a tablespoon of almond powder and a full tablespoon of coconut powder.  To finish off a knob of butter was put in as he said this will help keep it tight and congeal it in the fridge when cooled.  Then all he did to make CTM was to add the meat 3 ladels of base and 2 tablespoons of the chilled CTM base and hey presto, and a drop of single cream to garnish

On a more serious note, having re-read this, I'm not sure I understand what you're saying?   

Are you saying they make the base sauce, blend it, then put it back in the pan and add the other "CTM" ingredients?  Or are these two things (i.e. the "base" and the "CTM base") prepared separately?

Perhaps you could please clarify Tgad?

Offline tgad2007

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 16, 2009, 12:46 PM »
yes Cory it was not made directly as a standard base then the stuff was added but pretty much so with the addition of the mint sauce which i originally forgot to mention to which i apologise to anyone who tried the recipe without the mint sauce. and the tin of tomatoes was 400g

Offline Unclefrank

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 16, 2009, 01:04 PM »
I have actually had a CTM served in a bowl, with rice packed into the bottom, then the chicken tikka on top of that with the sauce poured over the chicken and then topped with mandarin oranges and it was superb very refreshing CTM taste, must admit was quite surprised but the taste was quite good.

Offline Cory Ander

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 16, 2009, 01:22 PM »
I have..had a CTM...topped with mandarin oranges

Well, there you have it!  :o  A CTM with mandarin oranges, no less!

Where was this UF?  And please don't tell me Bangladesh!  ;)

©2024 Curry Recipes