Author Topic: Hi all  (Read 5353 times)

Offline JerryM

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
Re: Hi all
« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2009, 09:05 AM »
Thomasm,

i think there are a few existing posts on the health issue. might be worth a search.

it's clear BIR curry is something to be had in moderation.

for me the salt is a bigger concern than the oil. i'm hoping the use of msg might allow me to reduce the salt but it's a pipe dream at the mo.

on the oil u can reduce the amount in the base to typ 3% (based on the initial chopped onion volume). at cooking stage by cooking slowly u can reduce the amount of oil needed probably down to 1 tbsp. u could also switch to olive oil if u have the need.

on an aside - i also know that the best curries i've tasted don't have hardly any oil on the surface. this begs the question for me as to how much of the cooking oil stays in the curry as most seems to convert to smoke when cooking on high heat.

whilst keeping moderation in mind i do feel there is much hype on health. i've regularly had medicals and monitor my cholesterol. i also eat a lot of curry and actually believe/feel i'm healthier for it. i'd also add that i'm well aligned with your good lady - i too being serious about eating healthy. i guess if i'm wrong in the curry belief then i must very successfull in offsetting it in the rest of my eating. i'd never have butter on a sandwich or sugar in tea/coffee for example.

Offline PaulP

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 24, 2009, 10:27 AM »
They say an adult can eat about 6 grams of salt a day - I try to keep my finished curries down to 2 grams per portion, and certainly less than 3 grams. This sits ok with me as the meal is intended to be the biggest meal of the day.

My wife bought a pre-made corned beef hash recently and I was shocked to see it contained 4.75 grams of salt for a single person portion!

Offline Thomasm

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 24, 2009, 11:14 AM »
Thanks jerrym ill try find those earlier posts and have a nosy
when you say 3% i used saffrons updated base which used 200ml veg oil so do you mean i can use just 3% of this or i can reduce it by 3%? thanks
And yes that's another worry the salt factor i use lo salt and keep this to a minimum buts its hard cutting the salt and keeping the BIR taste.
looks like I'm going to have to cut down on the other sweet/fatty things i enjoy
just gone thirty and cant seem to shift the weight as easy as i used too. 
« Last Edit: August 24, 2009, 02:57 PM by Thomasm »

Offline Cory Ander

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 24, 2009, 03:01 PM »

Offline PaulP

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 24, 2009, 03:21 PM »
I used the SnS 2008 base to make a korma - I didn't notice the tomato flavour but maybe that's just my taste buds.

I'm keen to try other bases though and will be getting my new freezer soon for the garage.

What base from this site would other members recommend for a Korma? I don't like Kormas much but the wife does.

Offline JerryM

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 25, 2009, 09:51 AM »
Thomasm,

for the saffron which is 1250g onion i leave in 100ml of oil which is ~4% of the initial bulk onion. u could reduce the oil further to say 80ml or ~3%. i have not gone passed this point although it could well be possible but would probably start to affect things as the oil helps the onions to cook.

on the weight i aim for max 19g sat fat per day averaged over 7 days ie 130g over the week. it works well at keeping the body weight down. i eat what i want for everything else. u would need to keep track of everything u eat in a typical week and then use the packaging to work out how much sat fat is being eaten. 

©2024 Curry Recipes