Author Topic: Saying HELLO from France...  (Read 2298 times)

Offline terrrrrrrr

• Chef
    • View Profile
Saying HELLO from France...
« on: August 24, 2009, 08:01 PM »
I'm a 59 year old expat, living in the non Curry land of France. Been here for nearly 5 years, and guess what? Very few curry houses, and the few I have seen, have (to what I was used to) a very limited and mild range. Plus the nearest one to us is about 30 miles away. So I don't visit them.

However, I eat Curry almost every week, lovingly prepared by yours truly. We used to live just outside Bradford, so access to both great Curry houses, and Asian shops was excellent. We have brought with us all our stocks of spices, and a large range of recipe books, and authentic recipes from Asian friends.

I will be on here regularly, and look forward to getting to know you regulars.

Cheers...

Offline Hawkwind

• Chef
    • View Profile
Re: Saying HELLO from France...
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2009, 06:46 PM »
Hi Mate,

Welcome to the site LOL I joined about an hour ago.....We live in the midlands so, like you used to have, we have all the ingredients to hand, does the curry house 30 miles from you do free delivery BTW ?

Perhaps we can help each other through joining a new forum.

Regards,

Hawkwind

Offline terrrrrrrr

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2009, 07:11 PM »
sent in error; proper reply to follow

Offline terrrrrrrr

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2009, 07:16 PM »
Do I wish the curry house 30 miles away did, probably not. From the taste of the two curries (our own excepted)we've had here, they are bland. We did a very mild Chicken in a Butter Sauce to return a favour our neighbour did, and it had 'em sweating.

Welcome to you too. What you up to Curry wise?

Offline Hawkwind

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2009, 10:50 PM »
Just a bucket full whilst I watch / listen to the sport on a Saturday afternoon, like I said mainly used Laxmi Khurana recipes,but love to use new stuff and ideas,

Do you grow your own herbs BTW ? I do my best in the "sun soaked" midlands but they have to be hardy to survive.....do OK with a few things though.

Hawkwind

Offline terrrrrrrr

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2009, 07:53 AM »
Yopu have, in my 'umble, the best ever recipe book for curries. We have used it so much, over such a long time, we are now on our third copy of it. Particular favourite is Fried Chicken Curry.

We have tried growing our own Coriander, but an inability to remember to give plants water doesn't help. It remains an ambition though. Given we can grow tomatoes outside, we know we have the right weather and climate conditions with us. Trouble is our "garden" is not quite ready yet. Hope to have it started this time next year. Will report on progress from time to time, and will mosty certainly be looking on the Gardening section for help.

Offline Thomasm

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2009, 03:13 PM »
hi terrrr
i work in bradford and live in oakworth which is just outside keighley and yes i really am spoilt for choice when it comes to resterants and asian super markets can you believe that at a local asian super market you can buy four green chillies for 0.01p yes thats 0.01p thats unbelievable isnt it!
hope your enjoying life in france its as miserable as ever here the weather is awful as usual so you might not be able to buy the great currys and ingrediants in france but im sure its a fair trade for the lifestyle and weather.
growing coriander is really easy i grow mine on the window sill in front of the sink so i never forget to water it just give it a few drops when i fill the kettle etc.

©2024 Curry Recipes