Author Topic: Preserving whole Green Chillies.  (Read 2592 times)

Offline terrrrrrrr

• Chef
    • View Profile
Preserving whole Green Chillies.
« on: August 25, 2009, 05:29 PM »
Only me second post, so I hope I'm in the right place.

I would like to know if anyone has any advice on preserving whole chillies? I have thought about making them into Chilli Paste, but have been totally unsuccessful in finding a recipe. Can anyone help us please?

Cheers, oh, and hello too...

Offline 976bar

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
Re: Preserving whole Green Chillies.
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2009, 05:40 PM »
Hi Terrrrrr,

Well last weekend I pulled 15 chillies off my chilli bush and have done exactly what I was taught when I went on my Indian cookery course.

If you have a food blender, then chop the tops off, put the chillis into the blender and chop them until they are fine. Put them into a freezer bag, seal properly and freeze them.

The next time you cook just break off the amount you require and use them, stick the rest back in the freezer :)

Offline terrrrrrrr

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2009, 05:53 PM »
Hello 976bar

Thanks for you swift reply. The way you describe is just how we do keep them, but I have a tiny wee problem. We live in rural France, so supplies HAVE to obtained from my old Asian shop in the UK. When last there (about 2 years ago)  we bought about 2kg, and whilst we have worked our way through them fairly well, we are now finding that once de-frozen, the insides are going a dark brown. We will continue to use them, but my thoughts were that they may be better preserved by making them into a paste, possibly with oil, and preserving them in Kilner jars.

Do you have any thoughts?

Offline JerryM

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2009, 09:41 AM »
terrrrrrrr,

there are some real gardener's on the site - u're best best is surely grow u're own. have a search on the site.

i store onion paste under oil - it works well. i don't see it lasting your kind of timescale though.

i'd also re think u're need. i've tried using them off and on quite a few times. they just don't cut it for me. just as an example i've just chucked a handful in the bin that had been hanging around too long. the only place i think they are essential is in jalfrezi (admin's).

the only other option would be to buy the crushed red chillies - these will up the heat but they don't give the same unique taste of the green.

Offline terrrrrrrr

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2009, 01:06 PM »
Jerry, first, hello.

Growing our own is an ambition, but our garden is not yet in the sort of state fit for growing, and there is still some pretty heavy work needed, and will not be completed until next year. When that's done, we're up for growing all sorts of stuff. I'll be eagerly searching the Gardeners section for loads of advice...

Re the chillies, I had thought of finely chopping them and sealing them under oil in Kilners, but until I see a proper recipe, I dare not do anything that would get rid of my precious stock. Replacing them here has so far proved impossible. Can anyone help by confirming that chopping and putting in oil will do the job, or doers anyone know a better method?

Offline chriswg

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2009, 02:19 PM »
You have to be a bit careful when storing them in oil. They can go very toxic if you dont do it right. I'm looking into making up some hot chilli olive oil but it isnt as straightforward as I thought.

I grew hundreds of chillies this year in pots. They were really easy to do and need very little looking after once germinated. I'm sure you will have a much better climate there than I did in the UK, but the results have still been tremendous. I think I have about 300 whole chillies in the freezer waiting to be used over the coming year. As long as you have a windowsill, or conservatory, or just a sunny corner of the garden there is no excuse for not growing your own.

Offline currymonster

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2009, 02:24 PM »
Hi Terrrrr,

I just freeze them whole and chop them when needed, a good knife will chop them even when frozen. Alternatively just wait for them to defrost, they defrost pretty quickly (ca. 15 mins).

CM

©2024 Curry Recipes