Author Topic: newbies effort!  (Read 3022 times)

Offline Thomasm

• Chef
    • View Profile
newbies effort!
« on: August 28, 2009, 09:26 AM »
Well been a member for a week now and this is my first proper effort.    a long way to go i think but this curry is far superior to anything ive made in the past.
 opinions welcome good or bad this is a madras with saffron base.

Offline JerryM

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
Re: newbies effort!
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2009, 11:44 AM »
Thomasm,

looks pretty good to me. 700 wide is a better pic size for viewing.

looks like u added fresh coriander at the end. if u've not tried already add a bit (~1 tbsp) when the base goes in.

Offline 976bar

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2009, 12:22 PM »
Hi Thomasm,

As Jerry said you need to scale the pics down a bit so they are more in focus. What recipe did you use apart from the Safron base?

It looks good :)

Offline Thomasm

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2009, 02:09 PM »
Ok thanks guys understand what your saying about the pics but for some reason i couldnt preview them first but computers are not one of my strong points.
This is an sns madras as recomended by another mamber when i said hi in the just joined section.
i have always added my coriander at the end just before serving because i once read that cooking it any longer ruins the delicate flavour but that might not be true so ill try adding to base next time and see how it goes.

Offline 976bar

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2009, 05:28 PM »
Hi Thomasm,

I wouldn't add it to the base but during the final stage of cooking the curry itself. I also add lemon juice to my madras, not sure if you did or not and this is where all BIR's differ around the country.

I was once working up in Glasgow many years ago, being from London myself but now live in the home counties, and once having found our hotel after many hours of trying to find Sauciehall street, which we asked many jocks for the directions!! and none of them would tell us with a wink in their eye and laughing, because its actually pronounced Sockie hall street...... none of them knew where it was... until some glasweigan maiden came to our rescue.... anyway as Ronnie Corbitt always says, "I Diverse".... we eventually found this Indian restaurant on the same street and went to open the door when it suddenly opened in front of us and an Indian guy probably around 7 feet tall said in this broad glasweigan accent, "alright lads wat you havin?" well after we stopped falling about laughing, we had a great time in there and some good eating was had. However....... they seem to serve naan breads up there that are about 3 feet long, we called them elephant ears and had them in the back of the van for about a week or so until we got fed up with them!!!!

So.... If you're ever in Glasgow, look for the jolly "black" giant and get yourself a 3 foot long Naan bread!! :)

Offline JerryM

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2009, 10:08 AM »
I wouldn't add it to the base but during the final stage of cooking the curry itself.

my earlier suggestion was aimed at adding the fresh coriander just after adding base when cooking the curry (instead of as a garnish although u can do both providing the garnish is very small).

i'd also encourage u to try adding coriander when cooking base. it may not be for everyone but i adopted it some time ago and have never gone back to not using it. it's not essential for sure but well worth a try.

Offline snoopt

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2009, 01:56 PM »
Hi Thomasm,

So.... If you're ever in Glasgow, look for the jolly "black" giant and get yourself a 3 foot long Naan bread!! :)

it mustbe a scottish thing ,we used to go a curry house on leith docks edinburgh,the passage to india(we used to call it the back passage to india)great currys ,and the nan breads were like the size of quilts,,thats what we used to call them  ;)

©2024 Curry Recipes