Author Topic: CWG Quick Base  (Read 9724 times)

Offline chriswg

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
Re: CWG Quick Base
« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2009, 10:11 AM »
Hi JerryM,

I'm really pleased to hear the base works well with other recipes. Did you have to reduce the amount of cumin / ground coriander / turmeric in those recipes compared to your usual amounts?

I think its a good point that if you are preparing this base just for mild curries then the chilli powder should be omitted. If you are using it for madras / vindaloos then it needs to stay in.

Offline billycat

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2009, 04:33 PM »
But its not a  base then Chris is it

a base is a base! BIR's dont have different bases do they ??

If you went to your local takeaway and asked for a korma they wouldnt say oh sorry we only got a hot base tonight

so i would say no extra chilli at all just add it to the dish your creating not to the base

Offline JerryM

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 09, 2009, 07:30 PM »
Hi JerryM,

Did you have to reduce the amount of cumin / ground coriander / turmeric in those recipes compared to your usual amounts?

No i used same qty of spice that i normally use. i'm really sold on the base - as i say for a curry in a hurry.

Offline JerryM

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 11, 2010, 03:41 PM »
i've made this "CIAH" 3 times recently (to go with biryani).

the 2nd go did not turn out too good at all. i think i got a tad too clever and did not follow the instructions to the letter being too caught up in the speed. i also did not have carrot and doubled the pepper. i did not grind the spice enough either. the sauce was too hot having used both the fresh chilli and chilli powder (i've now dropped using the fresh).

for info i've been making a 0.5 batch which produces enough base for 3 off curries. i'm not using as much oil (35ml c/w spec 100) and using x4 on the water (600ml c/w spec 150ml).

as i've said before it's nowhere near the best bases but it certainly fulfils a midweek need.

Offline Cory Ander

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 11, 2010, 04:29 PM »
i've made this "CIAH" 3 times recently (to go with biryani)....the 2nd go....i got a tad too clever...did not follow the instructions.....i....did not have carrot....and doubled the pepper.... i did not grind the spice enough....used both the fresh chilli and chilli powder....been making a 0.5 batch....i'm not using as much oil (35ml c/w spec 100).....and using x4 on the water (600ml c/w spec 150ml).

as i've said before it's nowhere near the best bases

Sorry Jerry, but it seems to me that you've probably made a TOTALLY different animal to what the recipe intended!  :-\

I feel that your conclusion is invalid accordingly.

Offline George

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 11, 2010, 04:51 PM »
Sorry Jerry, but it seems to me that you've probably made a TOTALLY different animal to what the recipe intended!  :-\
I feel that your conclusion is invalid accordingly.

I couldn't agree more. He might as well be giving his opinons on the latest compact disc he bought! Even quite minor changes to recipes can make a huge difference to the end result.

Offline chriswg

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 11, 2010, 07:38 PM »
The principal remains the same, all he has really done is reduced the oil and increased the water to thin it down. It is very much still a work in progress base and I'm thankful for any tips Jerry can provide. When I saw it made the chef didn't specify quantities of oil and water, he just added them in. I think 35mm of oil is too little personally but I add hardly any at curry stage. I also add a lot of water at curry stage which Jerry is adding at base stage. It is still very much the same animal.

Out of interest, George and Cory, have either of you had a go at it yet? It would be great to hear your thoughts.

Chris

Offline Cory Ander

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 11, 2010, 11:29 PM »
The principal remains the same, all he has really done is reduced the oil and increased the water to thin it down

From Jerry's post, I was under the impression that he had changed more than the quantity of oil and water Chris.

Out of interest, George and Cory, have either of you had a go at it yet? It would be great to hear your thoughts

No I haven't tried it Chris.  I find it impractical to try every recipe and suggestion.  So I cherry pick what I think are likely to be the more promising advancements.

I do have my own "quick madras base" I sometimes use and can post that if anyone is interested?

Offline joshallen2k

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 12, 2010, 02:44 AM »
One thing I love about BIR cooking, is the whole base concept. Once you have it, you can have a curry in minutes.

On the other hand, when I'm out of base, curry is off the menu, unless I have a few hours to make base.

An "express" base, or curry-in-a-hurry, isn't a bad idea. On the other hand, most of the base-less curries I've made (i.e. those that start with fry a pile of onion and garlic, add a tin of tomatoes...) aren't nearly as good as the base curries I've made.

CA - I'd be interested to see your CIAH recipe, and how you change the main curry recipe to suit. Also how you rate it (and Chris, yours too) vs traditional BIR base curries.

-- Josh

Offline JerryM

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 12, 2010, 07:32 AM »
CA, George,

i've no interest in anyone follwing what i do in terms of tweaks (each to his own). what i was trying to say is that u MUST follow the technique exactly as stated as otherwise u won't get a good enough result.

the as spec recipe is just fine - the water and oil changes are needed for how i cook.

my folly was not of ingredient but in a rush for speed i ended up failing to following the important steps well enough.

ps CA - i love to give u're CIAH a go. it's opened up real opportunity for me as i don't freeze base and quite often want a spur of the moment decent curry

©2024 Curry Recipes