Author Topic: HEIDI'S RECIPES  (Read 9426 times)

Offline DARTHPHALL

• Elite Curry Master
  • CONTRIBUTING MEMBER
    • View Profile
Re: HEIDI'S RECIPES
« Reply #20 on: July 04, 2005, 07:11 PM »
surprisingly Blondie the Chinese supermarkets on line call it salt ( MSG that is ) & then as you read the ingredients etc..
It seems to quite a common name for MSG so when a chef calls it salt they may not be trying to misslead you.
Remember if you are in a particular industry you tend to use the industry standard terminology, IE a hardback book is actually called casebound, hope this helps.

Yours DARTH. ;D

Offline Mark J

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 04, 2005, 07:25 PM »
I have also thought of leaving the oil out in the first stage base mix
Hmm not sure about this, all the bases I use brown the ginger and garlic as the first stage, obviously you need oil to do this. Also I think the taste and texture would be quite different without oil

Offline woodpecker21

• Senior Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 04, 2005, 07:42 PM »
without the oil you would not achieve the right texture for the base? i have recently made bruce edwards base which you remove the oil(or as much as you can) from the base before blending and return to the pot after before adding more oil with the tarka of tom puree. and acheived good results :). has anyone else followed his recipes to the letter? i have just finished pre-cooking the chicken for my vindaloo tonight ;) i do recall in "curry house cookery" he says add some of the sauce the chicken is cooked in to the main curry when cooking this would account for the smell (aroma). true that oil does not flavour the meal but it is (imo) an essential method without frying the meal would just stew wouldn't it?

regards gary

(i do believe that life and time are circular!) so what do i know. but i do have a wonderful smokey aroma wafting from my kitchen. have started to cook the curry yet! i will try to post my results soon  :) :)

Offline Mark J

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 04, 2005, 09:10 PM »
without the oil you would not achieve the right texture for the base? i have recently made bruce edwards base which you remove the oil(or as much as you can) from the base before blending
Sure, I dont think removing it afterwards is a problem, just needs to be in there during cooking IMHO

Offline pete

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 06, 2005, 08:14 AM »
The restaurants I have been in all have had a load of oil floating on top of the gravy.
Maybe they follow the second stage of Kris Dhillons curry gravy afrterwards
(oil paprika turmeric and a reboil)

Offline DARTHPHALL

• Elite Curry Master
  • CONTRIBUTING MEMBER
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 06, 2005, 08:22 AM »
About 3mm of oil on top the Curries in my local  ;)

©2024 Curry Recipes