Author Topic: chillies  (Read 5220 times)

Offline ranat22

• Chef
    • View Profile
chillies
« on: September 10, 2009, 06:00 PM »
hi,my chillies are starting to redden very nicely,I'm thinkin of chopping them and putting them in jars,just wondering what i put them in so they don't go off...maybe oil or summit.i could dry them but i prefer the ones you get from the shop in the jar...cheers

Offline 976bar

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
Re: chillies
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2009, 07:10 PM »
hi,my chillies are starting to redden very nicely,I'm thinkin of chopping them and putting them in jars,just wondering what i put them in so they don't go off...maybe oil or summit.i could dry them but i prefer the ones you get from the shop in the jar...cheers

Hi Ranat22,

Instead of trying to preserve them in a jar, with some kind of liquid, which I am sure will go off pretty quickly, why not chop them up in a food processor like I do, and put them in freezer bags and freeze them?.....

They last much longer and you can also just break off the right amount you need in any circumstance for whatever dish you are preparing :)

Offline PaulP

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2009, 09:12 PM »
They won't last long in a jar with oil. Either freeze them as already posted or google for pickling chillis - you would need to use vinegar and pickling salts to keep the bugs from growing.

Offline Cory Ander

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2009, 02:41 AM »
Hi Rant22,

You have a couple of options:

1)  chop or blend them up in vinegar (you can add other ingredients, such as coriander, if you wish) and put into a sterile jar.  They will last indefinitely

2)  chop or blend them up and freeze them (e.g. using an ice cube container and then transferring the lumps into a sealed bag/container).  This is my preference.  They also last a long time (many months)

Offline chriswg

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2009, 08:18 AM »
I just freeze mine whole. When needed you can defrost them in warm water to use them whole, or just chop them up frozen and add them to your cooking.

Offline ranat22

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2009, 11:42 AM »
cheers for the tips guys,ill blend them and freeze

Offline chriswg

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2009, 04:04 PM »
On a slightly separate note, does anyone know what the green finger chillies are actually called? There are hundreds of different types of chilli, most of which are finger shaped and start off green. I fancy growing the ones like I buy from the asian shop but they are just in a big tray market green finger chillies.

Any help would be appreciated, I fancy growing them next season.

Offline chriswg

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2009, 04:22 PM »
They could be Pusa Jwala but they dont really look dark enough in colour.

Offline foxy69rtaz

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2009, 06:31 PM »
i like this topic, very educational lol :D

Offline Ghoulie

• Indian Master Chef
  • CONTRIBUTING MEMBER
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2015, 10:37 PM »
I dry my chilies for 5 hours at 60 deg C - thenput them in sealed jars or blitz them to powder in a blender & put in sealed jars.  Work perfectly as a rub or curry ingredient.

©2024 Curry Recipes