Author Topic: Which Sweet Mango Chutney do BIRs Generally Use?  (Read 2685 times)

Offline Cory Ander

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
Which Sweet Mango Chutney do BIRs Generally Use?
« on: September 13, 2009, 03:04 AM »
Quote from: haldi
Hi CA
         I was out the other day and you can see the back of a little takeaway, down an alley
More than once I have looked to see what they use
But this time I thought of you
The takeaway had thrown out an empty, large barrel of Mango Chutney
The make?

..........."Tiger Tiger"

I would have posted a picture, but all I could find on the internet was a pdf that you can't copy and paste.
It's the 40kg barrel and blue
It's at the bottom of page 15 of this address

http://www.tigertiger.info/dynamic_files/tt_catalogue_website_version_white.pdf

One place told me they blend the chutney with a little water
They don't serve it neat

Thanks for the info Haldi.  I've not seen "Tiger Tiger" brand before.  I'll keep an eye out for it.

I've tried, Pataks, Sharwoods, Benjamins, Ashoka, Spencers, Ferns, and a few others.  I've also made my own.

Ferns "Sweet Mango Chutney" comes closest to what I've generally had in a BIR, but it's still not quite the same.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2009, 03:22 AM by Cory Ander »

Offline Domi

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
Re: Which Sweet Mango Chutney do BIRs Generally Use?
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2009, 12:46 PM »
Asda's own brand is the nearest I've gotten, Cory, though I've never tried Fern's. I use Geetas premium mango chutney quite often in Patias though as the whole spices in it add a little more depth of flavour. I had a large catering tub of Tiger Tiger vindaloo paste - wouldn't recommend it though - it has an awful plasticky taste to it.

Offline chriswg

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2009, 07:53 PM »
I've no idea but I bet it's got potato in  ;)

Offline chinois

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2009, 02:00 PM »
i bought some TRS mango chutney in taj stores in brick lane (who supply catering size ingredients for restaurants) and it's the same one they use in most restaurants. The look and taste are the same.
I bought 3KG for ?4 so i have more than enough!
I've been using it in curries to make dansak/pathia as our local takeaway uses it. A tablespoon gives a really good result in a sweet and sour dish.
I have to say though that i dont rate BIR chutney that highly, it's a bit too sweet and not sour enough. It is ridiculously cheap though.
They also had 20KG tubs of mixed pickle "fit for human consumption" hmmm, tasty!

©2024 Curry Recipes