Author Topic: Piri Piri Chicken - Illustrated  (Read 5141 times)

Offline 976bar

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
Re: Piri Piri Chicken - Illustrated
« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2009, 04:24 PM »
976bar,

many thanks - it's now on our frequent make list and my thoughts are just fine tuning.

i make chicken legs in marinade quite often and score them deep and it seems to work. i will try this on the piri as this will i hope allow me to cook right through on the bbq (hard to get that succulent taste in the oven). i will also try adding the oregano to the marinade as i can always add a bit more at cooking time.

the la buyo chillies have really hit the spot - they add a woody twist to the heat - very nice.

Hi Jerry,

I don't know if you have a Makro near you, it's a wholesaler, but they have bags of "Pili Pili" Chillies in there. I'm going to get some next time I go and will let you know how it turns out :)

Online Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
Chicken Piri-Piri (Fred Hopper's recipe)
« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2011, 06:56 PM »
This recipe was given to me by Dr Fred Hopper many years ago, and was for many years one of my "party pieces", cooked and served when guests were known to appreciate really hot, spicy and intensely flavoured food.  I've not cooked it for a while, so some of the details may be slightly inaccurate, but it should certainly give an indication of how Fred's version differs from 976bar's.

Take one chicken and stuff with a mixture of sliced onions, ginger, and garlic.  Using a sharp pointed chef's knife, make stab wounds all over the bird, and fill each with slivers of garlic and ginger.  Rub the bird liberally with oil, and dredge with four hot spices : ground chillies, ground ginger, ground black pepper and ground cayenne pepper.  Place in a roasting dish with par-boiled potatoes.  Roast until cooked, basting frequently both bird and potatoes, initially with additional oil but subsequently with oil from the roasting dish which will soon acquire significant flavour from the spices, garlic and ginger.  When cooked, remove bird and potatoes and make gravy with remaining oil and the juices that will have emerged from the bird. 

The above is what I used to term the medium version; the hot version differs in having fresh chillies added both to the stuffing and to the slivers of garlic and ginger inserted into the stab wounds.  My use of "medium" and "hot" was corrected by one guest to "hot" and "suicidally hot", but he nonetheless asked for seconds of the suicidally hot version !

** Phil.

Offline JerryM

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
Re: Piri Piri Chicken - Illustrated
« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2011, 03:58 PM »
Phil,

976bar's recipe is very different to Fred's and well worth a try (summer dish for me).

so far i've restrained myself from adding slits to the chicken legs and thighs - which would be normal practise for me for normal bbq.

i think on the next go i'm going to give it a try on the full bird piri piri.

the reason is (and i'm being picky) is that i'd like the legs to cook more in relation to the breast meat. by flattening the bird out and keeping the bbq on low heat the cooking is almost balanced.

many thanks for the prompt and effectively push i needed.

©2024 Curry Recipes