Author Topic: Dhansak??? hmmmmm Just Experimenting tonight........  (Read 1314 times)

Offline 976bar

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
Dhansak??? hmmmmm Just Experimenting tonight........
« on: September 17, 2009, 05:28 PM »
I've always been told/advised/read that a Dhansak is a Hot, Sweet and Sour dish with lentils, and having had quite a few in my time I would definitely go along with that description.....

On Tuesday evening, I made my kids one of my Chicken Kashmiri Masalas. Pretty mild, very sweet (I use natural palm sugar instead of the packet stuff) I've posted the recipe on here, and there was quite bit left, which went back into the fridge.

Tonight I got home and thought, what can I do with this? So............ I got some reclaimed oil out and heated a pan. I put about 2 tbsp in and added probably around 1-2 home grown green chillies from the freezer which I had diced up and just froze in a bag, so just broke some off plus 1 tsp Kashmiri Chilli powder.

I cooked this for around 30 seconds then added about 10 pieces of the Chicken Kashmiri Masala.

When it was getting quite warm I added a pinch of Methi and around 2-3 tbsp plain greek yogurt, plus about a quarter of a freshly squeezed lemon.

I bought all this to a high heat and then noticed the oil starting to seperate, so I considered this done and plated it up with just some boiled rice and a bit of naan bread.

The taste was incredibly like a Dhansak without the lentils. It was Hot, it was Sweet and it was Sour. I know it was a pinkish colour, and usually Dhansak is a yellow/straw colour, but never the less it was extremely good.

I am quite sure this probably won't be of a BIR nature, but I am going to explore this further with lentils and and the right colouring and see what I can make of it......

I'll let you know how I get on....

©2024 Curry Recipes