Author Topic: Does anyone use garlic granules  (Read 6290 times)

Offline JerryM

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
Does anyone use garlic granules
« on: September 18, 2009, 04:30 PM »
i was mooching around my fav store and came across garlic granules.

the smell from the packet caused them to fall into my basket.

i've done a search but there does not seem to be much on granules. these seemed to be the nearest of interest: http://www.curry-recipes.co.uk/curry/index.php?topic=1201.msg10469#msg10469
, and further down the post http://www.curry-recipes.co.uk/curry/index.php?topic=1201.msg10509#msg10509

has anyone any experience of using them at cooking stage. having read these post's i'm now thinking wheather i need ginger powder as well.

Offline 976bar

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
Re: Does anyone use garlic granules
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2009, 04:42 PM »
i was mooching around my fav store and came across garlic granules.

the smell from the packet caused them to fall into my basket.

i've done a search but there does not seem to be much on granules. these seemed to be the nearest of interest: http://www.curry-recipes.co.uk/curry/index.php?topic=1201.msg10469#msg10469
, and further down the post http://www.curry-recipes.co.uk/curry/index.php?topic=1201.msg10509#msg10509

has anyone any experience of using them at cooking stage. having read these post's i'm now thinking wheather i need ginger powder as well.

Hi Jerry,

I use garlic granules quite often if I don't have any fresh garlic. They are a little more concentrated than fresh garlic, so you need to adjust to suit, but they're certainly worth having in the cupboard :)

However, I do have to say, it doesn't beat fresh Garlic.......

Offline chanser

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2009, 09:26 AM »
I totally agree.

I have used them as a back up if I have no fresh Garlic.

I would always go for fresh given the choice though.

Offline Cory Ander

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2009, 02:22 PM »
Garlic granules (or garlic powder) have their part to play (IMHO).  I use garlic powder (and ginger powder) in my spice mix.  It's different to (and adds a slightly different flavour to) fresh garlic.

Offline JerryM

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2009, 08:17 AM »
thanks all - will post any benefits i find.

i do like CA's idea. i make a few dry rubs for bbq (cajun & jerk) and is where i originally used garlic & onion powder. i have used the garlic powder in naan for sometime. i will do as CA suggests. i see it as an "and" and intend to continue using fresh as well.

the ginger will be particularly interesting as i can't decide which i prefer garlic/ginger paste (ashoka pre cooked) or just garlic at the initial frying stage. with the powder is the ability to very fine tune the taste.

Offline 976bar

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2009, 10:09 AM »
thanks all - will post any benefits i find.

i do like CA's idea. i make a few dry rubs for bbq (cajun & jerk) and is where i originally used garlic & onion powder. i have used the garlic powder in naan for sometime. i will do as CA suggests. i see it as an "and" and intend to continue using fresh as well.

the ginger will be particularly interesting as i can't decide which i prefer garlic/ginger paste (ashoka pre cooked) or just garlic at the initial frying stage. with the powder is the ability to very fine tune the taste.

This probably isn't relevant, but I travel to the USA quite a bit and I love "Ranch Dressing" on my salads. It's not generally available here without something else being added so I have a recipe of my own which is absolutely spot on, it uses both Onion Powder and Garlic Powder.

If anyone wants the recipe, let me know and I will post it on here :)

Offline JerryM

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2010, 10:51 AM »
the garlic granules have been a real success - i use them in naan mainly and on pizza if i don't have fresh. i also grind them to make powder.

having been making garlic chicken curry recently - felt i could not resist extending store cupboard to include the flakes.

they being dried are very crisp (and strong tasting).

question is - is anyone using them - if so do they need pre soaking/pre frying or can you add direct to the curry during frying stage.

Offline Ramirez

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2010, 11:00 AM »
I've never used them personally - I always use fresh. I'd be surprised if flakes compare favourably to fresh. I doubt BIRs use them.

Offline Stephen Lindsay

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2010, 03:37 PM »
I've sprinkled garlic salt on naans in the past and it works quite well, not so sure about powdered ginger though, it's goes off very quickly

Offline JerryM

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2010, 04:31 PM »
I doubt BIRs use them.

Ramirez,

i certainly agree fresh garlic is best. when i've got time i like to use fresh in naan but the dried granules are very convenient for mid week.

as for the dried flakes - i am 100% sure BIR's use them. the Asian supermarket i use has a "catering" isle. they have massive bags of the flakes.

©2024 Curry Recipes