Author Topic: CA's Masala (aka "Spice Mix"/"Mix Powder"/"Curry Powder")  (Read 67536 times)

Offline Cory Ander

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
Re: CA's Masala (aka "Spice Mix"/"Mix Powder"/"Curry Powder")
« Reply #10 on: September 23, 2009, 01:54 AM »
before anyone has even tried it....people are theorising about how it's somehow wrong! I must say I find this hard to understand.

Thanks for your comments George.

I personally don't have a problem with people making comments without having tried it first. 

To question whether the whole spices should be roasted before grinding, for example, seems like a sensible question to me.  I don't think you need to try it first to raise this question. 

To be honest, there is so much to try on the forum that most people are unlikely to try much of it first!  It's well nigh impossible!  :P

I think many people can legitimately make comments, based on their knowledge and experience, without having to try everything (to the letter) first.  Isn't that right Chris?  ;)

However, I suppose that's quite different to someone roasting the whole spices and subsequently proclaiming the masala to be lacking in flavour and aroma within a week (or even the converse).....
« Last Edit: September 23, 2009, 02:22 AM by Cory Ander »

Offline JerryM

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 23, 2009, 07:18 AM »
CA,

thanks for additional comments - they sit well with me.

i'm negotiating with the boss for base at the mo and will try the mix asap.

i won't be roasting the spices (for spice mix) as for me too it takes the dish further away from BIR.

Offline 976bar

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 23, 2009, 08:35 AM »
have u tried normal paprika (i ask as i've not seen sweet, but i guess i've not looked out for it)

I'm sure other paprika will do.  But try to get some that's a vibrant red colour (some are very dull looking).

Quote from: jerry
on the cardamon i guess i can just grind up from a complete whole husk (ie green pod as opposed to the black seeds within) . i know ground cardamom is available for ease but i have the husks to hand

You can grind the whole pods (suitably sieved to remove the husks, of course) but I suggest you're better off removing the seeds and just grinding those.  I admit I tend to buy the ground powder for this.

the fenugreek is certainly different. is there any background to it's inclusion.

Only that I've been trying to replicate the savouriness of typical BIR curries and figure that fenugreek goes some way to helping do this.

TRS do a wonderful Paprika which is a very rich red vibrant colour and is available from most Asian stores.

I have to admit how sad i am, the other Sunday morning, I deseeded an entire bag of green Cardamoms and just grinded up the seeds inside. It took forever, but the end result was well worth it, I now have some wonderful green Cardamom powder.

Annnnnd no Cory, I did not roast them either!! ;)

Offline JerryM

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 23, 2009, 06:28 PM »

TRS do a wonderful Paprika which is a very rich red vibrant colour and is available from most Asian stores.

I now have some wonderful green Cardamom powder.

976bar,

appreciate the heads up. i will look out for the TRS paprika (my current is East End which is not the stuff i need - it's relatively dark). i rate TRS very much (the tandoori masala).

i will also treat myself to a small bag of the cardamom (i've seen it before on the shelf but never really given it much thought).

Offline matt3333

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 24, 2009, 08:56 AM »
I will certainly be giving this mix a try when my existing stock runs out.
One notable exception with this and some of the other mixes is no Rajah curry powder, have you ever tried including it? if so just wondered whether it made a difference or not.
M

Offline Cory Ander

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 24, 2009, 09:27 AM »
One notable exception with this and some of the other mixes is no Rajah curry powder, have you ever tried including it? if so just wondered whether it made a difference or not.
M

That's a good observation and question Matt!  I have added it in the past (e.g. as in BE's spice mix) but I've puzzled over adding it. 

I appreciate that many BIRs do it, probably for expedience (and probably for a balance of minor spices contained within the curry powder), since a little of it then goes into each dish.  But I can't really see the benefits when it can be added separately, as required, to the main dish.  It also seems to me to be a source of uncontrolled variability and unknowns.  So I now choose not to add it accordingly.

You will see that I have independently added some minor spices that I prefer (which might otherwise be contained in a curry powder in other spice mixes)

You will see that I also add curry powder separately to my curry base - http://www.curry-recipes.co.uk/curry/index.php?topic=3772.msg34262#msg34262
« Last Edit: September 24, 2009, 09:38 AM by Cory Ander »

Offline adriandavidb

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 24, 2009, 01:25 PM »

the fenugreek is certainly different. is there any background to it's inclusion.

Only that I've been trying to replicate the savouriness of typical BIR curries and figure that fenugreek goes some way to helping do this.
[/quote]

I intend to give the fenugreek a try in the spice mix,  I already include ground fenugreek leaf in most of my dishes; I love the flavour and will certainly try adding some of the ground seeds to the spice mix.

Offline adriandavidb

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 24, 2009, 01:26 PM »
So thanks for the post CA!

Offline JerryM

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 24, 2009, 06:57 PM »
CA,

given adraindavidb's post - please confirm that the fenugreek powder is from seed which i think (long time since it i tried any) is along the lines of fennel ie a bit aniseedy.

just want to be sure i get the right thing.

Offline Cory Ander

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 25, 2009, 01:58 AM »
Hi Jerry,

Yes, the fenugreek powder is from the seeds which are like little creamy yellow nuggets (see top left of pic - top right is dried and below is powdered):

And see here: http://www.curry-recipes.co.uk/curry/index.php?topic=2432.msg21101#msg21101

They look and smell nothing like aniseed or fennel

I buy the powder but you can grind your own seeds.

©2024 Curry Recipes