Author Topic: CA's Masala (aka "Spice Mix"/"Mix Powder"/"Curry Powder")  (Read 67539 times)

Offline JerryM

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
Re: CA's Masala (aka "Spice Mix"/"Mix Powder"/"Curry Powder")
« Reply #20 on: September 25, 2009, 07:09 AM »
CA,

much appreciate the photo.

i've clearly not tried fenugreek seed before (must have been fennel or something like).

i will get some (probably powder as a starter given the small amounts needed and the practicalities of grinding small quantities).

Offline JerryM

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 26, 2009, 02:00 PM »
have got the spice mix made.

pic clockwise: TRS paprika, ground spices, ginger, fenugreek.

i made the ground cardamom manually and won't be doing it again (very fiddly).

the fenugreek powder is something new to me (reminds me a tad of fresh peas).

the mix powder tastes along the lines of BE's (the closest i think to what i've used before).

i'd expected the methi powder, ginger, cardamom and garlic to come through in the taste  - initial thought would be to up the relative qty a bit.

i very much liked the taste of the TRS paprika - thanks 976bar. i'd have been stuck otherwise as the store owner who i know quite well looked at me when i asked for something better than his East End paprika (sort of sweeter).

need to cook with it to get a proper feel for it.

Offline JerryM

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 27, 2009, 04:25 PM »
have got the spice mix made.

i'd expected the methi powder, ginger, cardamom and garlic to come through in the taste  - initial thought would be to up the relative qty a bit.

i need to take this back on the methi front. i'm not a fan. the methi powder overpowered the spice mix for me.

i'm still sold on the garlic, ginger, cardamom. i intend to remake the mix and give it another go.

Offline JerryM

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 30, 2009, 07:46 PM »
i've posted results of using a revised mix here http://www.curry-recipes.co.uk/curry/index.php?topic=3772.msg34511#msg34511

for those who don't like methi then i would recommend the mix with just the garlic, ginger and cardamom ie leave the leaf and powder methi out.

i'm also going to try adding these 3 off powders into my norm mix powders as i feel the inclusion takes the curry closer to BIR.

many thanks CA - i'm am well sold.

Offline joshallen2k

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 30, 2009, 10:54 PM »
Jerry,

I know its your personal taste, so I'm not knocking it, but for the life of me I can't understand why you would be so quick to drop methi leaves from your cooking.

To me, its one of the essential BIR ingredients, especially for things like Madras, Bhuna...

For the aroma if nothing else.

-- Josh

Offline JerryM

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 01, 2009, 07:29 AM »
Josh,

i too have difficulty believing it myself. what i do know is i've tried curry in Bradford for example several times and on each occasion found i did not like the taste one bit. i've also stopped going to rusholm as it's hit and miss there with some having this very same taste.

i can go anywhere in the midlands and have no problem. most of the north west is fine too.

at the time i had no idea what spoiled the curry for me. i know now it's methi.

it's one of those things u either like or not. i've tried several times to use it given everyones amazement on the site.

i don't doubt that it is an essential in many BIR. it's just that i can't eat from them. i have recently become more tolerant that if it's in small amount then i can live with it. i don't enjoy it being in the curry though.

all i can say is ea to their own.

Offline Cory Ander

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 01, 2009, 09:02 AM »
Jerry,

I know its your personal taste, so I'm not knocking it, but for the life of me I can't understand why you would be so quick to drop methi leaves from your cooking.

To me, its one of the essential BIR ingredients, especially for things like Madras, Bhuna...

For the aroma if nothing else.

-- Josh

Yes, I agree Josh, it's the reason I add fenugreek to my masala.  This is obviously not a masala, for those who don't like fenugreek, accordingly.

Offline adriandavidb

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 18, 2009, 09:46 AM »
  • 1 tbsp dried fenugreek leaves (crushed/rubbed using fingers)
[

Hi CA

Just a small point:  the tbs of fenugreek leaf, is it 'crushed/rubbed between fingers' before or after measuring-out.

This may seem a slightly inconsequential question, but crushing will decrease the surface area by quite a lot potentially: there could be quite a difference in quantity between 1 x tbs fenugreek leaf, subsequently crushed; and 1 x tbs of previousy crushed fenugreek leaf.

Your recipe is clearly written and would suggest theat the leaf is measured first and crushed after; just want to be certain!

Many thanks!

Offline Cory Ander

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 18, 2009, 11:07 AM »
the tbs of fenugreek leaf, is it 'crushed/rubbed between fingers' before or after measuring-out

Good point ADB,

I mean measure it first, then crush it by rubbing between my fingers.  Actually, more precisely, I take a tablespoon, tip it into the palm of one hand and rub between my palms into the powder mixture.

Offline mistersauce

• Junior Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 29, 2010, 02:50 PM »
Hi CA,
Do you use the green or brown variety of cardomons for this mix?
Thanks,
Mistersauce.

©2024 Curry Recipes