Author Topic: CA's Curry Base (aka "gravy"/"sauce")  (Read 251008 times)

Offline Cory Ander

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
Re: CA's Curry Base (aka "gravy"/"sauce")
« Reply #250 on: November 17, 2011, 10:34 AM »
Texture I would say is relatively thick, almost consistency of a soup. It made 2Litres exactly which I portioned up to roughly 5 400ml containers.

It should make about 2.3 litres, BMB.  Did you have a lid on during cooking it? 

I would add around 300ml of water to it, before or after blending, to make it a bit thinner.

Please let us know how you go with your curries  8)

Offline bmouthboyo

• Senior Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #251 on: November 17, 2011, 11:05 AM »
Hi CA but I only had pur?e so thought you said I would need 3-4 times this to match the paste equivalent. So 40g of paste = 120g of pur?e?

Offline Cory Ander

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #252 on: November 17, 2011, 01:10 PM »
Hi CA but I only had pur?e so thought you said I would need 3-4 times this to match the paste equivalent. So 40g of paste = 120g of pur?e?

Hi BMB,

Not too sure where or when I said this?  I think you also said you used "double concentrated puree"?  To my mind, the following applies to the relative concentrations of tomatoes:

• fresh tomatoes, tinned tomatoes, passata (i.e. seeds removed), tomato puree (depending on where in the world you are) = single concentration
  • double concentrated tomato paste = double concentration
  • triple concentrated tomato paste = triple concentration

I agree it is confusing (to my mind, it is analogous to the ambiguity around "coconut powder", "coconut flour", "desiccated coconut", "coconut milk powder", etc). 

What is "tomato puree" and what it "tomato paste" depends on where in the world you are!  It is why I started a thread on it (anticipating the confusion) some time ago:  http://www.curry-recipes.co.uk/curry/index.php?topic=4436.0  It didn't really get the response (clarity) that I was anticipating, so I abandoned the idea.....

Not sure if this helps, but I hope so!

Anyway, just accept that your base is more tomatoey and adjust for that in the cooking of your final curries!  :P

Offline Cory Ander

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #253 on: November 17, 2011, 01:13 PM »
I would be inclined to assume that any recipe on this forum that calls for tomato paste or tomato puree assumes that you will use the commonly available double-concentrate stuff that comes in a tube unless it explicitly states otherwise.

I think that's a dangerous assumption and that it's much better to ask the originator to be sure!   ;)

Offline Stephen Lindsay

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #254 on: November 17, 2011, 01:22 PM »
I can't think that I've come across tripple concentrate and certainly the stuff I get from ASDA says double concentrate. In some ways agree with bith Phil and CA because I would assume double but it would be an assumption to be tested against a particular recipe, not only to the letter of the recipe but also how it translates after the cooking?

In any case it's far easier to add in more of the tomato element than try to remove it!!!

Offline bmouthboyo

• Senior Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #255 on: November 17, 2011, 04:15 PM »
Thanks guys, I think I ignored the "Double concentration" part as I have never seen puree that isn't!

Anyhow it tastes lovely and this is the reason I made only 1 batch to start with.

Already learned 2 things
  • Need to mark then top up base level with water to 2.3L before blending
  • Buy tomatoe paste lol

I find it is important to try and follow a recipe to the letter the first time, then you have something to base any changes on. I will make CA's Ceylon I think first and no doubt it will taste lovely, but if it is too tomatoe's I will know why.

To help minimise this I can work out that each 400ml portion of base has 23g of Double concentration puree.

Can anyone advise how much they feel 1tbsp of stated paste in recipe converts to double concentration puree? would double concentration puree and double concentration paste be the same?  :-\

Offline Cory Ander

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #256 on: November 29, 2011, 01:49 AM »
Can anyone advise how much they feel 1tbsp of stated paste in recipe converts to double concentration puree? would double concentration puree and double concentration paste be the same?  :-\

BMB, I think you should assume that "double concentrated paste" and "double concentrated puree" are the same.

So, for this recipe, use 40g of whatever "double concentrated paste" or "double concentrated puree" you have.  If you have "single concentrated paste" or "single concentrated puree", use twice as much (i.e. 80g).

Hope that helps?

Offline thumpinfrance

• Junior Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #257 on: December 11, 2011, 09:12 AM »
Hi
 Made your gravy the other day and did your korma last night
 Superb :), First time I have tried this will not be buying any jar /cook in sauces again
will start working thru your other recipes
many thanks

regards Gary

Offline curryhell

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #258 on: December 11, 2011, 10:01 AM »
Hi
 Made your gravy the other day and did your korma last night
 Superb :), First time I have tried this will not be buying any jar /cook in sauces again
will start working thru your other recipes
many thanks

regards Gary

Welcome to the site.  You chose a good base to start with and you won't be disappointed with CA's other recipes either.  They produce very tasty BIR food to which no jar of cook in sauce can come anywhere near ;D

Offline DeadBeat

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #259 on: January 08, 2012, 11:15 AM »
Been making this base along with CA's Jalfrezi and Madras since I joined the site. I do strain the base through a seive as per CT method which I find adds another depth though.

Great base that I'm in no rush to change. Only difference is I use Kashmiri chili powder in recipe instead of normal chili powder.

©2024 Curry Recipes