Author Topic: CA's Curry Base (aka "gravy"/"sauce")  (Read 250972 times)

Online curryhell

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
Re: CA's Curry Base (aka "gravy"/"sauce")
« Reply #260 on: January 08, 2012, 11:55 AM »
Been making this base along with CA's Jalfrezi and Madras since I joined the site. I do strain the base through a seive as per CT method which I find adds another depth though.

Great base that I'm in no rush to change. Only difference is I use Kashmiri chili powder in recipe instead of normal chili powder.
Certainly gives added colour, a milder heat and I don't think CA would shoot you for it DB.  Glad you're enjoying the benefits of CA's labour, as many do on here.

Offline Cory Ander

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #261 on: January 09, 2012, 09:05 AM »
Hi
 Made your gravy the other day and did your korma last night
 Superb :), First time I have tried this will not be buying any jar /cook in sauces again
will start working thru your other recipes
many thanks

regards Gary

Glad to hear that it worked for you TIF  8)

Offline Cory Ander

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #262 on: January 09, 2012, 09:09 AM »
Been making this base along with CA's Jalfrezi and Madras since I joined the site. I do strain the base through a seive as per CT method which I find adds another depth though.

Great base that I'm in no rush to change. Only difference is I use Kashmiri chili powder in recipe instead of normal chili powder.

Hi DB,

Presumably you mean that you use "Kashmiri chili" powder in your main dish recipes?  Well, I wouldn't argue with that since it is still "chili powder", after all (just more specific). 

It's similar to those who choose to use "'Kitchen Masala' instead of 'Curry Powder'"....they are one and the same thing, in my opinion (but, again, "Kitchen King" is just being more specific).  No problem at all.

Offline Cory Ander

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #263 on: January 09, 2012, 10:25 AM »
I have added a Chicken Phal recipe (made using this base) here:  http://www.curry-recipes.co.uk/curry/index.php?topic=7700.msg67018#msg67018

Here are a couple of photos of the resultant dish:

Offline fruitshoot14

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #264 on: January 22, 2012, 07:57 PM »
CA... Ive just attempted this base as my first real dabble at curry making (small steps lol) very clear and easy instructions and it looks prety much like your pic so im confident its fine...and as stated it isnt too sharp on the taste.

Cant wait to get making a curry with it soon :-)

Jay

Offline bobsbeer

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #265 on: January 28, 2012, 08:00 PM »
Thanks CA.  Just made this base and used it for a Madras and a Korma.  This was my first departure from the Secret Curry Base.  Both went doen very well with the family.  The good thing is that I have enough for another 4 meals  ;D Thanks

Bob

Offline chrisbr

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #266 on: January 31, 2012, 06:37 PM »
Many thanks CA for this.

Have made curries from books in the past and they have been very bland.  Made the CA curry base last night and then a chicken rogan josh tonight (loveitspicy's recipe) and it looked and tasted perfect.

Great thing about it all is how quick and easy curries are once you have the base made.

Thanks again to CA and loveitspicy for the recipes.

Anyone got a recipe for lamb green massala?

Chris

Offline colin grigson

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #267 on: February 25, 2012, 07:37 AM »
This is the first base I've made and my wife said it was better than any curry I've produced !! , I'm not sure that's a great compliment to CA or an indication of the standards of my Indian cooking previous to joining this great site !! I made CAs vindaloo using the base yesterday and it was mmmmmmmmm !!!

Thanks for everyone's effort on here ( especially CA in this instance ) and for all the advice that has taken my curry cooking from 1/10 to 8/10 overnight !! 

Offline Thomasm

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #268 on: February 28, 2012, 10:40 AM »
Don't get much time to post on the forum i have been using same base and main since finding this site which is the SNS base and the matching madras.
Felt like a change and gave this base and the bhoona main a shot and loved it.
I was also interested to see the method of cooking was different to what i had been using.
So thanks CA.

Offline dopple

• Junior Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #269 on: March 20, 2012, 09:05 PM »
Just thought I'd post my thanks CA. I've now got my 2nd batch of your base cooling in a pan. The first batch didn't have any capsicum or tomato paste but this one does. Looking forward to seeing how much of a difference it makes.

Dopple

©2024 Curry Recipes