Author Topic: CA's Curry Base (aka "gravy"/"sauce")  (Read 252208 times)

Offline Cory Ander

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
Re: CA's Curry Base (aka "gravy"/"sauce")
« Reply #280 on: May 26, 2012, 11:52 AM »
I had garlic powder and also ginger powder in the cupboard and thought for once I have found something they go into "IE the mix" as since I have had them there's not been much call for their use.

Glad to be of service TT  8)

By the way, try adding 05 - 1 tsp of your garlic powder (and/or ginger powder...maybe a little less of this) to your final curries too.  I often add it to a madras, or vindaloo, etc, and it certainly adds a little something.  Can't have enough garlic (in its various forms) in my opinion!  :P

Offline colin grigson

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #281 on: May 27, 2012, 10:18 AM »
Hi Cory ,

I'm doing your vindaloo ( with your base and masala ) tomorrow evening and I'll try adding the garlic powder as you suggest  ... I agree with you that you can't overdo the garlic especially in vindaloo and phall   :)

Offline Cory Ander

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #282 on: May 27, 2012, 01:15 PM »
Good Luck Colin  8)

I think I may have chosen my words unwisely; take it easy on the garlic powder addition!  Too much of it CAN spoil it (as can too much of anything)!  :P

PS:  About 0.25 tsp of fenugreek powder is also worth adding, in my opinion.

Offline colin grigson

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #283 on: May 28, 2012, 07:03 PM »
Hi Cory ,

Tried the garlic powder at 0.5 tsp and the fenugreek powder at 0.25 tsp and it was amazing as your vindaloo always is .. I'd have to do a side by side taste test to spot the subtle flavour changes between the original and this new addition .. my wife reckoned it was closer to BIR than the original but maybe she was bigging me up a bit in return for a top notch curry !!   :)

Thanks once again for all your recipes ... our family are very happy now on curry nights !!

Offline samsauceykitchen

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #284 on: June 10, 2012, 07:08 PM »
Hi Cory,

I like your curry base and your curry recipes!Looks delicious and iam sure they taste delicious,Well done!. :)

Offline Tommy Timebomb

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #285 on: June 10, 2012, 08:01 PM »

Hi Cory,

I like your curry base and your curry recipes!Looks delicious and iam sure they taste delicious,Well done!. :)
Why don't you give them a go and then report back Sam... Surely that would be a better and more honest compliment?

Offline timeless

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #286 on: June 27, 2012, 04:51 PM »
Knocked a batch of this up today

Offline krs187uk

• Junior Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #287 on: July 24, 2012, 07:17 PM »
This Base is awesome!!! Took me about 3 hours from start to finish but i'm no chef ,My first attempt and did a jalfrezi which was nice and went down a treat but i thought was just missing something (maybe some oil or spice) Then the following week did a Madra's with the same base and WOW WOW WOW It was perfect So CA thank you!!!

Offline Clive77

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #288 on: August 08, 2012, 11:17 AM »
CA...I'll be giving this a go tonight but have 1 question please. When you say tomato paste, are we talking concentrate or straight tom paste.
Sorry if the question has already been asked but 29 pages was too much to go through!

Thx.

Offline Cory Ander

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #289 on: August 08, 2012, 12:31 PM »
When you say tomato paste, are we talking concentrate or straight tom paste.

Hi Clive77,

Double (or triple) concentrated tomato paste.

©2024 Curry Recipes